TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Need some help selecting a home sound system

by britgirly / September 17, 2013 10:30 AM PDT

I am looking to get my husband a sound system for the house.

In an IDEAL situation we would like the following attributes I don't know if something like this even exist, but this is best situation ...

Has a good sound quality
Can stream music
Connect with our android device
Be loud enough that we can hear it throughout the house
Control it from his Samsung Galaxy device
Ideally maybe be either portable or have a wireless speaker.
Have wireless capacity.

We don't NEED a surround sound system for our TV we need something for upstairs where we don't watch TV. I haven't made a decision on price range and at this point I am considering all options.

I am looking for specific information on models that might suit my needs as I have spent 3 days trawling through sites and have gotten nothing but confused!

Thank you for your time.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need some help selecting a home sound system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need some help selecting a home sound system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Knowing the relative budget would help
by Pepe7 / September 17, 2013 11:24 AM PDT

I'm not sure a single portable device can do *all* of those things. At least nothing I've run across.

That said, knowing which features are 'must haves' could make the process easier too. Ballpark even- $300-400; 600-700, etc.

Personally, I believe you may be better off with a traditional receiver & speakers, since you can find very feature filled models on sale, and they can handle other types of music sources (CD, DVD, etc.). Some of the newer ones can also easily be added to a home network, and accommodate a simple iPod Touch, which would inherently give you a heck of a lot of streaming/app/internet music streaming/service options. Bottom line is that separate speakers/AV receiver nearly always sound better since you can physically separate the right and left speakers in a room to improve the sound (and locate them higher or lower to improve things).

If you weren't married to the idea of having a traditional stereo component for discs (etc.), and wanted mostly an [internet/network music based] streaming component that has halfway decent speakers built in, I would look at a basic Sonos Play3 system. It's ~ $299. See here:

http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/play3

Their wireless bridge would give you some additional flexiblity too.

I can give you more hardware options if you give more specifics on what types of music sources you need/want (e.g.pandora, CDs, iTunes library, youtube streaming, etc.).

Collapse -
Thank you for your feedback...
by britgirly / September 17, 2013 1:04 PM PDT

I guess I would like to spend under $1000. I am not set on a wireless system, I would just like maybe the ability to add a wireless speaker if needed. Our house isn't huge so I don't need something that's going to be big enough to fill Buckingham Palace, just something that my husband can "crank up" when he's exercising, we can happily listen to if we're in the shower or outside on our deck.

We like to listen to Slacker, Pandora, ect. We don't use iTunes and I don't think I've seen a CD in our house forever!

Collapse -
In that case, definitely see the Sonos site
by Pepe7 / September 18, 2013 1:47 AM PDT

You can see the various options of equipment that may suit your needs. It should be inside your budget for the most part.

Adding (separate) wireless speakers instead of a whole unit (like the Sonos system does) would be a different animal- closer to a real AV receiver. Long term though, you might want to throw up/install simple pairs of speakers in your deck areas if you don't end up with a portable unit like the Sonos (etc.)

hth

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.