TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Need Some Help.....1280 x 720 vs. 1920 x 1080

by cinderElla00 / July 15, 2006 3:19 PM PDT

Hello
I recently purchased my first home and I am in the market for a DLP TV. Is there a noticeable difference between the 720 max resolution tv's versus the new 1080 tv's? The 1080 tv's seem to be around $850 to $1000 more than the 1280 x 720's. I am trying to decide whether it's worth it to spend the extra money. Any opinions and insight is GREATLY appreciated as I'm new to this and need some help. Many thanks.

Scott

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Some Help.....1280 x 720 vs. 1920 x 1080
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Some Help.....1280 x 720 vs. 1920 x 1080
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In short, yes..
by kena10 / July 15, 2006 9:30 PM PDT

Scott,

Congrats on the purchase on your first home. Since you've narrowed down your search to a specific type of tv, the choices become a bit easier. Now you're simply torn between spending more cash or not.

Let me put it this way, The more resolution you have on a given tv set, the more detail you will see. Though this isn't necessarily true for every DLP, for the most part it is true.

Now, I'm sure you're familiar with the new formats HD-DVD and Blu-Ray right? Well, these formats will output in 1080p (in a perfect world). So having a tv that has a native resolution of 1920x1080 will be able to display every detail a given movie presents in either of the formats above. With that being said, if you have a tv with 720 max resolution, it will simply enhance the picture you're seeing, as it can't give you all the details because its resolution prevents it from displaying more.

The downside to having 1080p you ask? Well, if you have analog cable and do not and will not ever have hd service, then the picture is not going to look that great because the opposite happens with regards to the previous paragraph. What that means is that when you look at regular cable on a 1080p tv set, it's going to look as if you were pulling tv stations on a regulat crt tv with rabbit ears. the picture is going to look a bit distorted because of the extra amount of resolution a 1080p set has simply because regular cable or off air tv runs at about 480 in the best conditions. This is where 720 will look better and won't "degrade" an analog broadcast as much.

Personally, if I were you, I would spend the extra money into a tv set that can take a 1080p input. Aside from the size restrictions, if you decide to for with a 50" for example, go with a 60". The reason why is because you can always go a size down but it's harder to spend more money as opposed to getting money back if you thought the tv was simply too big.

I hope this helps

Jimmy

Collapse -
Thanks for the help
by cinderElla00 / July 16, 2006 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: In short, yes..

Jimmy
Thanks! Another question I have is what size should I get? From wal to wall my living room is 12 ft. I figure that I'll be viewing from 8 to 9 feet? I was thinking 61 inch initially but I'm now thinking 56 inch may be a better size. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for the input.

Scott

Collapse -
SLATS GO ALL THE WAY HA HA
by stewart norrie / July 17, 2006 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the help

I own a 72" D.L.P t.v. and at 9 ft. its like being in a movie theater . the picture on a huge screen involves you in the movie on a smaller screen size you have to squint your eyes to see small picture detial and with dim lighting you get the true movie experience just like a front projector and screen would Also if you are checking out d.l.p. set take a look at j.v.c. ila sets thay also look awsome havew a cool day stewee

Collapse -
Thanks Stewee
by cinderElla00 / July 17, 2006 11:19 AM PDT

At this point I am actually leaning towards the 61" JVC you recommended. I've been doing a lot of reading and owners seem to love this TV and technology. The price is right also.

Thanks.

Scott

Collapse -
Stay away from JVC....
by kena10 / August 18, 2006 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Stewee

They have really poor customer service and the reliability of their equipment leaves a lot to be desired.

I have about 10' of space in my basement and my 60" Sony SXRD looks nice. I would say if you're interested in getting a nice size tv, 60 inches should be more than enough.

Personally, I'd choose the Sony KDS-R60XBR1 over the JVC. The picture is much better and as opposed to Stewart's recommendation, you won't have to call jvc for serious help on the first year.

One thing I would suggest is purchasing an extended warranty so your bulbs are covered. Most electronic stores like circuit city and best buy offer in-home service, so you don't have to do anything but call a number and schedule service to come to you.

I hope you haven't purchased the tv yet and this helps you further.

Jimmy

Collapse -
Not on my TV
by breslin / September 6, 2006 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: In short, yes..

Jimmy,

I have a 1080P DLP and standard definition sources look very good. While a bad picture does not magically become a good picture by scaling it to a higher resolution, a properly scaled image certainly is not worse and often is improved.

My 1080P set looks better than my 720P set with all sources. The improvement is not just the resolution, the 1080P set has much better contrast and color as well.

Mike

Collapse -
In the same boat....
by dro0001 / August 25, 2006 7:22 AM PDT

I'm in the same boat as you....trying to decide if 1080p is worth the extra cash. I am in no way a videophile, and we don't watch movies very often on our TV right now, so this would mainly be used for standard sports/TV show viewing. A lot of what we watch is standard def though, as our cable company only offers the major networks, ESPN, and Discovery in HD. Great reply from jb4674, I didn't relize 1080p would in fact make SD signals look worse. I'm still not sure what I want to do....$800-1000 is a lot of money in the long run, and I think the fact that we are going from a CRT up to HD will be "wow" enough...but on the other hand, you hate to be cheap and get screwed later on.

Collapse -
(NT) Paint
by cinderElla00 / August 25, 2006 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: In the same boat....

Went with a 720 56 inch JVC. Not a videophile either and I can't imagine a TV with a better picture. I love my JVC and I just don't see how the 1080 is worth the extra money IMHO.

Collapse -
JVC
by dro0001 / August 25, 2006 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Paint

I was looking at the JVC as well but then I read a bunch of stuff about bulb problems. Did you see anything about that? I'm sure there is stuff like this for all DLPs, but I got scared off. I think I may be doing TOO much research at this point!

Collapse -
PAINT MORE ON BULB ISSUE
by stewart norrie / August 27, 2006 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: JVC

I have owned my d.l.p. set for over 8 months now, and the orgional buld blew in 4 months . I called Toshiba and they sent me out a upgraded lamp in 3 days fed-ex and gave me an extra year on bulb warrenty.But if the new lamp will last 2 or three years at a cost of $200 I can live with that and the fact that replacing the lamp is as easy as changing a lite bulb no big deal have a nice week end all stewee

Collapse -
Is it a Toshiba set or a JVC set?
by dro0001 / August 29, 2006 9:53 AM PDT

I heard Toshiba makes the bulbs for the JVC sets, which is why I am confused. I think I may go with the Samsung 56" 720p. THIS close to hitting the "buy" button! Happy

Collapse -
PAINT HIT THE BUY BOTTON
by stewart norrie / August 30, 2006 9:43 AM PDT

In my quest for a picture perfect t.v. I thought the j.v.c. Samsung and Toshiba had the best picture on the market But befor you buy make sure there is a factory service center in your area. You would not buy a new car if there were no parts and service for it in your area good luck stewee

Collapse -
See my response
by breslin / September 6, 2006 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: In the same boat....

"I didn't relize 1080p would in fact make SD signals look worse"

Please see my response to this above.

Collapse -
More info.
by jcrobso / September 6, 2006 3:47 AM PDT

This is from another post but also applies to this one.
The current crop of HDTVs seems to be doing a better job of rescaling SD video to 720p or 1080, not all sets but many of them. The only way to find out to try them.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7596-0.html?forumID=60&threadID=203927&messageID=2182715

Keep in mind one thing the Quality of the source material is more important than the 720p or 1080i/p.
The new 1080p sets do look very good, The new 1080p DLP chip has many improvements in addition to the 1080 part.

ABC and FOX use 720p, thier live 720p sports are much better than some 1080 programs I have seen. Back to the quality of the source material again.
1080p souce material,,, HD-DVD/BRay DVDs, maybe some games.
Spend some time looking and see the $800~1000 is worth it to YOU, it's your money. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.