Computer Help forum

Need some diagnosis help

by phoenixxdreams / December 4, 2012 8:11 AM PST

Hello all, this is my first time posting on the forums here. And its unfortunate that it has to be for some question that there is probably an easy answer to, but my web searches have not brought up anything so far that will help.

I have a self built system running Win7 Pro 64 bit and for the first couple months everything on it was running fine, but starting in about June, it looked like my memory was going bad. By this, I mean, all my applications, including Google Chrome would go dead. In chrome, I would get the "He's dead, Jim" screen. So I thought perhaps my memory was going bad, or maybe I was running out of virtual memory. I ran memtest86 (nothing unusual popped up on an 8 hr test), I allocated more virtual memory and for 2 weeks it worked fine. Then it started messing up again. I decided to wipe my hard drive clean, re-install windows and all my drivers, and I doubled my RAM. Now, the problem has been occurring again, along with another problem.

1) My computer still randomly closes all my applications and shuts itself down.

2) On start-up I would get a message "Access violation in module..." which apparently has to do with having a Biostar motherboard and I went into MSconfig and diabled that option for now.

So overall, I just want to know, what could be causing this problem, and how could I fix it. I know several people will want me to check temperatures, so a link to a free download of a reliable one would be greatly appreciated

Here are the specs of my computer:
BiostarA780L3B Motherboard
AMD Athlon II x2 255 3.1GHz 2MB Cache Processor
8GB G.Skill DDR3-1066 1.5v RAM
1TB WD Caviar Green 7200RPM HDD
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Video Card
500W Antec Powersupply (recently replaced)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need some diagnosis help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need some diagnosis help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Here's a link to download SpeedFan
by wpgwpg / December 4, 2012 8:19 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for the download.
by phoenixxdreams / December 4, 2012 8:22 AM PST

I'll install SpeedFan now. Firewalls are all ok, and I know its not much but Windows Security Essentials should do the job right?

Collapse -
MSE should be OK
by wpgwpg / December 4, 2012 8:27 AM PST

I've never heard anybody say anything bad about MSE. MS has made it a standard part of Windows 8, so they must think it's pretty good too. Happy
Good luck.

Collapse -
Here are some of my temperature readings
by phoenixxdreams / December 4, 2012 8:29 AM PST

GPU: 41
Temp 1: 48-53 (it keeps fluctuating)
Temp 2:30
Temp 3: 35
HD: 33
Core: 39

I'm not sure what Temp 1, 2, and 3 correspond to. Any help?

Collapse -
Temp 1,2, & 3 are things your mobo reports
by wpgwpg / December 4, 2012 8:39 AM PST

that SpeedFan doesn't know how to identify, so it just calls them Temp1,2,3. I wouldn't think those temps would be high enough to cause problems, but watch it when it's under a heavy load with the CPU busy most of the time.

Collapse -
Running MSE Scan
by phoenixxdreams / December 4, 2012 8:32 AM PST

And I'm running a quick scan just to see if something new pops up. In all honesty I think this might be a hardware issue, but I'm not sure where

Collapse -
Here're a couple of other things you can check
by wpgwpg / December 4, 2012 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: Running MSE Scan

You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.

Collapse -
by phoenixxdreams / December 4, 2012 8:41 AM PST

Alright, I'm running sfc at the moment and I will look on event viewer now and post my findings for further help. Thanks!

Collapse -
Event viewer
by phoenixxdreams / December 4, 2012 9:03 AM PST

I get event IDs: 7000, 41, 6008, 20, 7023, 7043, 10010, 4321, 1014, 4001.

Collapse -
Those numbers by themselves mean nothing
by wpgwpg / December 4, 2012 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Event viewer

Sorry, but you need to look at the text of the messages because the numbers mean nothing except to the MS programmer who coded it. You have to look at the text and see if it mentions some component. The only entries are the ones flagged with "error" in red.

Collapse -
by phoenixxdreams / December 4, 2012 11:03 AM PST

sfc returned nothing unusual. I will recheck event viewer

Collapse -
ID text
by phoenixxdreams / December 4, 2012 11:11 AM PST

The AMD FUEL Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified

I've got several of these everyday
The AODDriver4.1 service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

These too.
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

This one I have about once a week.

Collapse -
Try looking at Device Manager
by wpgwpg / December 4, 2012 11:52 AM PST
In reply to: ID text

for devices that have either ! or ? beside them. This would indicate a device that needs a driver. I'm on my laptop which has an Intel CPU right now, but I'll check out my desktop that has an AMD CPU to see what "AMD Fuel" is and I'll see what I can find out about AODDriver4.1 as well. You might try doing a Google search for them in the mean time.
It's almost bed time where I am, but I'll check further tomorrow.

Collapse -
Here're some links
by wpgwpg / December 4, 2012 10:37 PM PST
In reply to: ID text
Collapse -
Will Install Those
by phoenixxdreams / December 6, 2012 8:30 AM PST
In reply to: Here're some links

But would those cause my entire computer to shut down?

Collapse -
Bad drivers are often the cause of failures
by wpgwpg / December 8, 2012 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: Will Install Those

The driver sits at the very heart of Windows, acting as part of the supervisory code. If something goes wrong in a driver, it can and does cause systems to fail. When making changes to the hardware, you have to be very careful to make the corresponding appropriate changes to your drivers or you'll suffer most undesirable consequences.

Good luck.

Collapse -
From my old video card?
by phoenixxdreams / December 6, 2012 8:39 AM PST

I'm not exactly sure, but could these older programs be from my old video card or are they a part of my new one?

Collapse -
Am I going crazy? :P
by phoenixxdreams / December 6, 2012 8:49 AM PST

nvidia is a geforce product and Radeon is an AMD, correct?

If that's the case, are there possibly some old drivers left over on my system from when I changed video cards? Anyway to root these all out?

Collapse -
What'as the next course of action?
by phoenixxdreams / December 18, 2012 5:22 AM PST

I thought I had removed all the drivers from my previous card, and I double checked with some driver removing program, but the problem still persists.

I am almost to the point of saying "Screw it" and wipe my hard drive and re-install Windows as i did before. But if there is something else I could possibly do that would be appreciated.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.