Phones forum

General discussion

Need PDA without wireless

by Yannella / December 16, 2005 2:05 AM PST

I need a PDA to take into government buildings where we are not allowed to have internet access. I used to have Palm M505, but recently the handheld crashed. The only functions I use are address and date book. Any recommendations?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need PDA without wireless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need PDA without wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See Palmone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2005 2:17 AM PST

Palmone.com has similar non-wifi, non-bluetooth units.

Bob

Collapse -
Palm Tungsten E2
by winstonlush / February 16, 2010 3:38 PM PST

I am using the Palm Tungsten E2 and it is an excellent PDA. I wish Palm can continue selling this, with an improved digitizer screen. Since Palm is no longer selling PDAs in Singapore, I need to find an alternative to replace my Palm TE2 because the stylus point click position is becoming inaccurate. Another benefit of a PDA without wireless is that it is 100% secure against viruses and hackers from the internet. It is quite a pity that Palm is not selling PDAs now because there are so many useful applications for the Palm OS. Can anybody suggest a good replacement for the Palm PDA?

Collapse -
Depends on your needs...
by John.Wilkinson / February 17, 2010 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: Palm Tungsten E2

For example, do you want to avoid WiFi? (Hard to avoid on modern devices, but can be disabled.) Do you need to use your existing PalmOS software? (Only available on the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi, which run PalmOS apps in an emulator.) Do you want text recognition? Do you have a specific price range?

Fill in your requirements and we can make a few recommendations.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Calendar, Contacts, Memos, and Tasks
by winstonlush / February 18, 2010 1:27 PM PST

Thanks, John. I need to maintain all my data in Palm's Calendar, Contacts, Memos, and Tasks, for which I have thousands of records. I wish Palm Pre or Pixi would sell in Singapore. I am considering Google Android Phone or iPhone. The trouble is that they handle these personal information differently. Is there some good application that can import all my personal data from Palm and hopefully even to have the same user interface as from Palm?

Collapse -
Yes...
by John.Wilkinson / February 19, 2010 3:32 AM PST

Officially, Google wants users to upload all data to their web services, then download to the Android-powered smartphone. Apple, on the other hand, wants you to export from Palm Desktop, import everything into Windows Mail or a similar desktop app, and then use iTunes to synchronize the content with the iPhone.

However, there are third-party apps, such as The Missing Sync and CompanionLink, that help bridge the gap. I prefer the former, but the latter is especially good at handling Palm Desktop migrations.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
PDA without wireless
by winstonlush / February 27, 2010 5:05 PM PST
In reply to: Yes...

Thanks John, for your advice. I shall consider them.

I still want to argue in favour of PDAs without wireless or 3G, in the spirit of this thread.

The problem with smartphones is that they do not have a low power standby mode. They have to be constantly ready to pick up incoming calls. As a result, their battery life is usually a day or less. I have a phone from Nokia and a PDA from Palm. I could reasonably use them for several days without recharging. The Palm PDA has an on-off switch that allows you to instantaneously turn on the PDA to read or write. When in the off state, it retains it battery power for weeks.

Another benefit of PDAs without wireless is that you can give them to kids to encourage them to write their diary without exposing them to the dangers of the internet.

Also, I don't see the point of PIM software transferring all your personal information into the web and coming back into your PDA. Information gets messed up or lost along the way. Sophisticated hackers could also easily steal your personal information.

Collapse -
Actually...
by John.Wilkinson / March 1, 2010 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: PDA without wireless

1.) Most modern smartphones allow you to disable the cellular radio, using something commonly referred to as 'air plane mode.' Thus, you are left with a standard PDA.

2.) You can also remove the SIM card from GSM models, which effectively does the same thing as above, but prevents kids from simply 'turning it on.' Again, you are left with a standard PDA.

3.) PIM software on smartphones is stored locally, with cloud storage being an option. Thus, you can synchronize the data with your computer or not synchronize at all, either way avoiding uploading personal data onto the internet.

4.) Batteries and battery management technologies have evolved quite a bit over the years. For instance, I typically got just under 4 hours of use (combination of video, audio, and productivity) on my WindowsMobile 2003SE Dell Axim X30 whereas the current WindowsMobile 6.5 HTC HD2 gets a solid 10 hours, and that's with the 3G radio enabled.

I too would like to see PDAs remain an option for consumers, but falling smartphone prices and the ability to use them as PDAs only make PDAs a dying breed.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.