Computer Help forum

Question

Need OS Information

by 7h324nd0m1 / October 11, 2012 2:53 PM PDT

I have an old drive set up as a slave drive in my computer that currently has Windows XP installed. I have been scouring the web for the last few hours and cannot find anything about how to identify the OS installed on the slave drive. I was wondering if it would be possible to find information on the OS installed? I already have the serial for the drive, I now need to know 32/64 bit, and if it is the Home or Professional version of XP. I am going to do a reinstall and need to know which disk to use. Thanks in advance!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need OS Information
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need OS Information
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
about your OS
by suman_suman / October 11, 2012 5:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Need OS Information

To know the details of your Windows XP OS, click the Start button> right-click My Computer> select Properties. You will now see the details including 32 or 64 bit, Home or Professional etc. related to your Windows XP OS. If you want, you can note them down.

As far as the slave drive is concerned, I guess this is the secondary drive on to which you saved your Windows XP installation (if you have 2 hard drives installed on your computer). usually the main drive is recognized by the default letter C: and the secondary (slave) drive is recognized by whatever letter you chose it to be. So go to My Computer and check which drives you have there. Open each drive to make sure you see its contents to either copy or do whatever you want to

Collapse -
Response
by 7h324nd0m1 / October 12, 2012 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: about your OS

My apologies for not making this clear before. The reason I have the secondary drive set as a slave is because it is not possible to boot, it is giving a boot error, hence the reason for the reinstall. I was given this hard drive and I have discs for an old operating system of mine, I just need to know if it will be the right one or not (32/64 bit, home or professional. So I need to gather that information from the slave drive without booting it.

Sorry for the confusion!

Collapse -
Answer
Re: reinstall OS
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 11, 2012 6:26 PM PDT

Just boot from that old drive, than follow the directions given by suman_suman.

But why not use the original disk? That's surely the right one.

Kees

Collapse -
Drive
by 7h324nd0m1 / October 12, 2012 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: reinstall OS

I got the computer from someone who was throwing it out. They didn't have any information on the computer and I can't get the current slave drive to boot either.

Collapse -
Then that's good news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2012 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Drive

Now install an OS of your choice. No reason to fiddle farther.
Bob

Collapse -
OS
by 7h324nd0m1 / October 12, 2012 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Then that's good news.

I have the serial for the version of Windows XP that is currently installed on the drive, so I was trying to save money and not have to buy another OS. I'm not really wanting to use Linux for this build, since it will be for my parents most likely. It seems like such a simple task, I am just baffled at how much time it has taken already.

Collapse -
Not baffled here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2012 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: OS

Let's say this PC is a CAR. You get a flat and then try to put on the spare tire but find you are missing the LUG WRENCH.

You would be hard pressed to do the work without the right tools. Since you are missing the XP CD that belongs to this PC you are doing about the same thing as trying to change a tire without that lug wrench.

It's sad to see folk struggle like that.

Why not install Ubuntu and be done with this? It's Firefox browser, and Office work a like is well, the same as what you use today on XP.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
As a matter of fact ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 12, 2012 10:38 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.