PC Applications forum

General discussion

Need old program Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money"

by NancyR / May 13, 2005 12:11 PM PDT

I used this program for many years and have backup files for all of them on floppies. Somehow I have misplaced the original installation disks for the program and now cannot read my backups! Does anyone know where I might get a copy of the program (it is DOS)? Thanks,
Nancy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need old program Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need old program Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Links here
by TONI H / May 13, 2005 9:21 PM PDT
http://www.andrewtobias.com/mymemergency.html

There is a link down past the center of the page that shows where you can purchase newer versions (used probably), and a couple of email addresses that you might write to for help locating a copy of an older version if needed.

A quote from another page I looked at: "'Managing Your Money' version 5.0 by Meca Software is System 6 and 7 compatible. It can be obtained by mailorder for $32 plus a shipping charge. The program has been around for several years, (MacUser 5 mouse
rating) and instructions are provided for updating programs you may have generated in earlier versions."

MECA Software located here.....and a phone number. Perhaps they can help you locate the newer versions:
http://www.mymnet.com/
203-256-5187

TONI
Collapse -
Version 7.0
by neltron / May 21, 2005 10:58 AM PDT

I have IBM Version 7.0 MYM disks you can have for postage...

Nelson
Seattle

Collapse -
MECA Managing Your Money 9.0 DOS version
by ClarkG / June 1, 2005 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Version 7.0

Where can I download a MYM 9.0 DOS version softaware program. My windows version will allow transfer of my maually entered budget items. Thanks.

Collapse -
Printing to disk in MYM12
by sammyok1 / December 19, 2005 11:58 AM PST

Please tell me how to print to disk from MYM12. It looks like the only option is to print to a printer and I can't locate the printer setup strings or decimal control codes for my printer, so it will no longer print since I upgraded to Windows XP. If I can print to disk and then print my reports I can continue to use the program.

Thanks,
Nancy Decker

Collapse -
Hi, Sammy.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 24, 2006 12:28 PM PST

If you go ahead and do a print, a screen pops up where you can select whether to print it to a printer or to a disk file. BTW, there's still a semi-active support section for MYM on the Money and Investing forum at compuserve.com (link here) Good luck!
-- Dave K.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by NancyR / June 2, 2005 12:56 AM PDT

Thank you everyone for your good ideas and even that very generous offer to send disks. I'm afraid version 7 won't do it and I don't use Quicken (I use Microsoft Money now).

Collapse -
mym 7 disks
by jjesser / July 28, 2006 5:36 PM PDT

do you still have these? I'm trying to convert some v6 data and hoping v7 will work with those older files. I have v8 and v9 but they won't do the conversion because I postponed "Start A New Year" with that old data. I have no idea why that's a problem...

Thanks in advance,
ARL, Remsen, NY

Collapse -
Try MYM2Qif
by jtob2 / May 22, 2005 10:24 AM PDT

Nancy:

I ran into the same problem and found an excellent utility to transfer all my data into Quicken.

I highly recommend that you look at the following website and program to convert MYM files to Quicken.

I used it to transfer years of MYM data to Quicken and now have no concerns about MYM support.

http://www.respmech.com/mym2qifw/faq.htm

Take a look and try it.

Jim

Collapse -
MYM2QIF Question
by arrwulf / March 16, 2006 9:41 PM PST
In reply to: Try MYM2Qif

I'm trying to use this conversion program and don't seem to have a "summary" file to put into the top blank asking for same. I can't get past this point. I'm help a client (I work with attorneys) try to pull up some MYM files to supply to probate Court and am desparate to pull up the files. He has loads of disks with files (all the same name, different dates) which I assume are his data files (ending in .dbs). I see one name "profil", but none that look like a summary. Any suggestions? I can't find anywhere to obtain the software and as I said, I'm desparate to pull up the files.

Shehi_3@hotmail.com

Collapse -
MECA DOS version MYM 9.0
by ClarkG / June 1, 2005 8:27 AM PDT

Do you know where I can find MECA MYM 9.0 DOS version ? Thanks.

Collapse -
Managing Your Money
by rdkapp / July 12, 2005 4:17 PM PDT

I have MYM version 8.0 and version 9.0 if anyone is still interested. I cleaned out my closet recently and found them.

Collapse -
Managing Your Money
by jmwelborn / July 26, 2005 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Managing Your Money

I am interested in the programs, how much are you selling them for?

Collapse -
Managing Your Money
by rdkapp / July 26, 2005 5:27 PM PDT

jmwelborn, I don't want to negotiate price over a public forum, but I'm sure we can work out something. Please see my profile and send me an email using the ''Email this Member'' button and provide me with your email address so we can correspond privately. I look forward to your email.

Collapse -
MYM Discs
by naum2 / August 5, 2005 5:15 AM PDT

In your search for MYM( Did anyone offer a MYM12 DOS?
Thanks
Naum2

Collapse -
MYM12 DOS programs
by naum2 / August 5, 2005 5:17 AM PDT

Do you have this set of discs for sale?
Naum2

Collapse -
MYM12 DOS PROGRAMS
by email109 / July 12, 2006 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: MYM12 DOS programs

I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR A SET OF NYM12 DOS PROGRAM DISKS AND WILL EVEN ACCEPT MYM11 DOS PROGRAM DISKS. IF YOU HEAR FRAM ANYONE COULD YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

MYRON

Collapse -
I'd love to have these disks
by prasadamphani / March 16, 2006 10:49 PM PST

I would like to have the disks for 9.0. I love this program because it is so user friendly. My copy was lost in a house fire last year. Please e-mail me directly at craigehenry@sbcglobal.net & I'll make arrangements with you.

Thanks

Collapse -
Have MYM Vers. 12 for DOS if you'd like copies
by Beansss / August 14, 2006 5:04 AM PDT

I have the disks for MYM Version 12 for DOS if you would like to have copies. Version 12 will upgrade the data for previous versions, as far as I know. The original book says that, when installing vers. 12, previous versions found will be upgraded if you wish. Also, the program asks if you want to upgrade data sets that it finds.

Collapse -
PROGRAM DISC FOR MYM 12
by walv4940 / August 30, 2006 5:01 AM PDT

MY HARD DRIVE FAILED , I WAS USING MYM9, I LOST THE ORIGIONAL MYM DISC, SO I HAVE MYM9 BACKUP BUT NO WAY TO USE THE DATA ON THEM. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE COPIES OF THE DISC YOU HAVE.

WILLIAM P. ALVERSON
PS I AM USING WINDOWS XP HOME

Collapse -
MYM 8.0 and 9.0 for DOS
by rdmrule1 / March 18, 2006 12:01 AM PST

Do you still have disks? Do you know if disks are good? Please email me direct @ rdmrule1@juno.com

with details. Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) mym program disc version 9 or later
by walv4940 / August 30, 2006 6:32 AM PDT

i need help bad i have backup disc but no program since i lost both the origional disc and my hard drive

Collapse -
Read the LINKS HERE reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2006 6:38 AM PDT

Go get it.

Collapse -
Here are a few links including Toni's showing what happened
by Dick Humfrey / July 26, 2005 4:03 PM PDT

Managing Your Money Emergency
Managing your Money, Where's MECA? I haven't been involved with MECA in many years. It no longer supports the old retail versions of Managing Your Money. ...
http://www.andrewtobias.com/mymemergency.html - 96%

Result found by: MSN Web Search, FAST Search (alltheweb.com), HotBot, AltaVista, CompuServe, Lycos, Netscape Netcenter, AOL Search, Teoma, Yahoo!
Potpourri
"I would like to get an updated version of Managing Your Money for Windows ... MECA is out of the retail software business, and I am five years out of MECA. ...
http://www.andrewtobias.com/bkoldcolumns/981014.html - 78%

Result found by: AOL Search
PR Newswire : COMPUSERVE TO OFFER MANAGING YOUR MONEY BY MECA...
PR Newswire : COMPUSERVE TO OFFER MANAGING YOUR MONEY BY MECA SOFTWARE @ HighBeam Research...
http://static.highbeam.com/p/prnewswire/march261996/compuservetooffermanagingyourmoneybymecasoftware/index.html - 76%

Result found by: HotBot, Lycos, Teoma
Home Office Computing: The paperless checkbook - Microsoft Money for Windows 95, Meca's Managing Your Money Plus 2.1...
... checkbook - Microsoft Money for Windows 95, Meca's Managing Your Money Plus 2.1 for Windows and Managing Your Money ... Parent MECA Software wandered in the desert for a while but has ...
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1563/is_n7_v14/ai_18431192 - 65%

Result found by: FAST Search (alltheweb.com)
Andrew Tobias' Managing Your Money
Andrew Tobias' Managing Your Money ... Text: 'Managing Your Money' version 5.0 by Meca Software is System 6 and 7 compatible. ...
http://www.savetz.com/ku/ku/daulton_andrew_tobias_managing_your_money_june_1993.html - 63%

Result found by: CompuServe, Netscape Netcenter, AOL Search
MANAGING YOUR MONEY for Windows:
...disappointed users when MECA finally distributed the Windows version of the software. I am disappointed no longer. This version of Managing your...
http://www.1960pcug.org/~pcnews/1996/october/mym.htm - 63%

Managing Your Money
Managing Your Money software, by Meca Software Inc., sells for $20 at most retailers. Return to Listing...
http://www.noccc.org/bytes/revuprod/v01/245.html - 57%

Andrew Tobias' Managing Your Money
The award-winning Managing Your Money software has been revamped to compete ... with two other award-winning MECA programs: Managing the Market and Tax Cut. ...
http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue136/142_Andrew_Tobias_Manag.php - 50%

Result found by: CompuServe, Netscape Netcenter, AOL Search
MANAGING MONEY WITH YOUR MOUSE Section: PERSONAL INVESTING...
You can find the basic CheckFree software within more expensive programs like Intuit's Quicken, MECA's Managing Your Money, or Kiplinger's CA...
http://mgv.mim.edu.my/Articles/00271/96010164.Htm - 31%

Intuit Press Release- Intuit, Meca Join Forces To Offer Custom ...
Both Intuit's Quicken and MECA's Managing Your Money products have unique ... MECA, MECA Software, Managing Your Money and MoneyScape among others, ...
http://web.intuit.com/about_intuit/press_releases/1998/03-30.html - 29%
Result found by: CompuServe, Netscape Netcenter

Collapse -
Running MYM on Windows XP
by piesta / November 5, 2005 12:33 PM PST

I am running mym v12 on xp.Here is how I do it.1.Right click on mym.exe file.2.Click on properties.3.Click on the Program tab.4.Click on Advanced.5.When the windows PIF settings window opens,put a check mark in the"Compatible Timer Hardware Emulation"box.6.OK.7.OK.This procedure let me run MYM12 on XP.However it only filled the top half of the screen.Then I got lucky.I opened MYM12,went past the WELCOME;Time summary;to the topics pulldowns.1:I opened Budget Categories.2:I hit F9 to show a graph.It did-FULL SCREEN.3:I hit F9(another graph)-FULL SCREEN.4:F9(third time)-back into the program with a full screen that remains until I leave the program.When I want to print I print to disk & can use any windows printer for hard copy.I can still run my many years of data with NO conversion problems.

Collapse -
Printing to disk
by sammyok1 / December 19, 2005 8:52 PM PST

How can I print to disk in MYM12? It appears to me that I can only print to a printer and since I upgraded to Windows XP I can no longer print in MYM12. I have tried to locate the printer set up strings for my HP1000cse, but have had no luck, so I am looking for an alternative to abandoning my MYM.

Thanks!
Nancy Decker

Collapse -
Printing to disk
by jtob2 / January 5, 2006 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: Printing to disk

Nancy,

You should be able to print to a file in XP by installing the Generic Text printer as an additional printer in XP.

Open up the "Printers and Faxes" section and select "Add a Printer".

Choose the "Generic Text Printer" and go through the steps of adding as and additional printer.

Then when you go to print from your Application, select the "Generic/Text Only" Printer as the Printer and put a check in the "Print to File" box.

You should then be prompted to enter a file name when you click on the Print button.

Jim

Collapse -
Printing to disk
by sammyok1 / January 6, 2006 3:44 AM PST

Jim, Thank you for your input on this. I set up a Generic/Text only printer in XP telling it to print to file and in my MYM application I can choose "Generic" from the "Types" of printers on its list, but the printer setup screen requires a "Port" and "File" is not one of the options, only LPT1 through LPT3 and COM1 through COM3. I don't know what I am missing.

Thanks again,
Nancy

Collapse -
Printing to disk
by jtob2 / January 7, 2006 5:41 AM PST

Nancy,

When you first set up the text printer in the "Add Printer" section choose "File: [Print to File]from the list in the drop down box for the list of "Use the Following Port". Then select the Generic/Text only printer for the printer driver.

When you check the properties of the Generic/Text only printer after installing the printer, open the Port tab
And there should be a check in the Box for the "File" port.

When you set up your application simply select the Generic/Text only printer for the default printer for the application or select that printer as the appropriate printer when you go to print.

Then when you print to the Generic/Text only printer, you will be presented with a dialog box requesting a File name.

Simply enter a convenient file name (probably with the "txt" file extension and save the file in a convenient location.

This should work for you as I have used in the past.

Best of Luck,

Jim

PS let me know how it works out.

Collapse -
Printing to disk
by sammyok1 / January 7, 2006 9:23 PM PST

Did you use this method in MYM for DOS? I have version 12.

When I first purchased my XP computer and realized I could not print from MYM to my HP1000cse parallel printer anymore, I had a service tech from my computer repair store make a house call. He said that particular printer and a few other HP's would not work with the DOS program. My options were to change money programs or purchase another old printer that would work with the program. I then read on CNET a posting in Nov. by Piesta who uses MYM12 and said he or she printed to disk and then printed in Windows. That would be a better option than changing programs or buying another old printer.

I have set up the Generic printer in XP as you have directed. My MYM application however cannot "see" what printers I have installed on my computer. In the printer setup of the application I can choose from a preset list of printers that have printer setup strings in MYM. The list does have a "Generic" option which is a "lowest common denominator" printer. If I want to add a printer not on the list I have to have the printer setup strings to fill in to a "Customized Printer Setup" screen. On the same "Printer Setup" screen where I choose the printer from the list I must also choose the port that the information will be sent to. Ultimately it seems like MYM sends the info a the port and not to a printer.

Sorry to be such a bother, but I appreciate your help.

Nancy

Collapse -
Printing to disk
by jtob2 / January 13, 2006 11:05 PM PST

Nancy,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have never attempted to personally print from that version of the program. Perhaps when you set up the printer driver you need to tell the driver whether you print from DOS based programs. This is usually a selection when you install the driver.

I highly recommend the program MYM2QIF. See my earlier post in this thread.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=31&threadID=103669&messageID=1203784

I have used this program to convert my old MYM files to Quicken and it worked very well and only costs about $20.

If you upgrade to Quicken you will have a well supported current program and your old files will all be converted to Quicken format. I suffered no loss of data when I converted my old MYM files.

Jim O'Brien

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.