Desktops forum

General discussion

Need New PC with Windows XP

by misscourtneyd / May 14, 2008 4:45 AM PDT

Work from home and need a new PC pre-loaded with Windows XP. Is anyone selling them anymore? Any good ones? I'm always budget-minded, but willing to spend a little extra $ this time - my PCs always run REALLY slow, when running necessary programs at the same time (program only runs with Windows XP, thus why I need it & not Vista).

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need New PC with Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need New PC with Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can still get XP for now
by Steven Haninger / May 14, 2008 5:24 AM PDT

You didn't mention whether you wanted a desktop or a laptop. If a laptop, Dell, Lenovo and a few others offer XP but finding these in the retail stores is getting tough. You need to check on line and get a custom build. If you want a desktop, what I'd recommend is looking to see if you have a local and reputable builder to custom make a machine to fit your needs. They should still offer XP and load it for you. With these machines you won't get all the crapware and trialware that comes with the boxed systems from brand name builders. As well, you can get local hardware and warranty support. You'll need to ask around to see who in your area is worthy of your business as some of these places tend to come and go. Good luck

Collapse -
Need a Desktop
by misscourtneyd / May 14, 2008 6:33 AM PDT

So I guess I'll have to find a good place to build one. Eek. Thanks!

Collapse -
New desktop!
by sm1tt / May 14, 2008 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Need a Desktop

Hi,
Whats your budget and what will you be using the new system for? (mainly)

Would you not consider trying to build your own system?

Smitt.

Collapse -
New desktop with XP
by misscourtneyd / May 15, 2008 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: New desktop!

Looking to spend $600-700 without a monitor, which is much more than I usually spend.

Call it "extreme" Word processing with PC anywhere, plus another 6 different software programs need to run at the same time.

I'm not ready to build my own. It looks like newegg.com has some desktops with XP. Maybe I should go with that?

Collapse -
Choices, choices!!
by sm1tt / May 16, 2008 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: New desktop with XP

Well i can imagine with the money you have to spend you will easily find what your looking for and probably still have a few pennies spare to indulge yourself!

Lets see, to start with if your gonna be running multiple programs then your system speed will need to be fast!

Oh my god i hear you say thats gonna cost me! DON'T PANIC! This wont hurt too much i promise!

Right 1st your gonna need to look for something along the lines of a core 2 duo or dual core system (good for multi-tasking)

Then you should be looking at getting at least 2GB of RAM to run the system smoothly (preferably DDR2 6400)

Next will be the HD (hard drive) you will want S-ATA connection and you will want it to be around the 160GB+ mark (depending on how much storage you will need) running at 7200 with (and this is the important bit) 32MB cache. I say this because the higher the cache size the better your system will be at multi-tasking and most good systems should be running 32MB min by now.

Other than these things (and remember this is only a rough guide) you can pretty much go with your instincts on what other bits your gonna need for your home office setup.
If you use these stats as a rough guide on what to look for and then juggle with your budget im sure you'll end up purchasing the dream machine your after!

If you need anymore advice lemme know and i'll be happy to help.

All the best,
Smitt.

P.S something similar to this maybe?? http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141198

Collapse -
Want a real system
by thebug / May 16, 2008 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Choices, choices!!

Check out this web site. Prices start at about 1500$ for a basic system to 11,000$ for a good gaming computer! Way out of my range , but man it's nice to dream. Also you can get some good ideas here.

Collapse -
Sorry last post missing web page
by thebug / May 16, 2008 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Choices, choices!!
Collapse -
A little vague, but you might be able to spend less.
by BigGuns149 / May 16, 2008 11:42 AM PDT

You are going to have to say something about the other applications you intend on running to really know how much seems like a rational budget, but you can run word processing applications well on Windows XP on virtually any modern hardware.

If you are talking about 6 other applications that aren't demanding I would say you would could reasonably have an XP box that you are happy with for less than $600. An entry level dual core processor are pretty cheap and increasingly a quad core is a realistic option for the $600-700 price range. On the other hand if you are going to be doing multiple intensive applications then you could reasonably rationalize spending far more.

Ultimately what makes sense will depend upon what those other applications happen to be.

Collapse -
Re: New desktop with XP
by Big Steve / May 19, 2008 6:29 PM PDT

Have you taken a look at Dell's Inspiron 530 desktop PC sold through their home office division? The Inspiron 530 can be configured with either Windows Home XP or Windows Pro XP.

Collapse -
you don't have to build a desktop
by HomerRamone / May 16, 2008 11:30 AM PDT

Dell still has many XP desktop models available, too...

Collapse -
Computers with XP
by LadyMaverick / May 16, 2008 1:34 PM PDT

I concur. I was at the Dell website tonight and they have quite a few selections. But hurry, I think this is only thru June 18.In fact I plan to order one. I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista and it is currently awaiting an appointment to get fixed. It's only 9 months old. It seems I downloaded a Vista update that wouldn't allow me to go on line. All the repairs the techs had me do just locked the stupid thing in safe mode. It won't even run the disk to reformulate so it has to go into the shop. I really hate Vista.

Collapse -
windowsxp
by millyc / May 20, 2008 3:00 AM PDT

I just purchased a dell desktop from wal-mart with windowsxp . It has 2g of ram for 499.00

Collapse -
Look here. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 16, 2008 11:33 AM PDT

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=2576395&storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1

Collapse -
PC with Windows XP operating system
by rlsnodgrass / May 16, 2008 12:36 PM PDT

Try www.bestbuyforbusiness.com They are still selling OEM with XP. At least they were a couple of weeks ago. You can also try down grading a Vista machine. There are forum here that tell how to do it. Good luck

Collapse -
Dell Desktops
by srgolfer / May 16, 2008 2:15 PM PDT

I just received a flyer from Dell today advertising desktop computers you can get with either XP or Vista, your choice.

Collapse -
by cmjcmjcmj / May 16, 2008 1:05 PM PDT

Newegg.com has a XP computer for $399.00 [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220320] item: ASUS Eee PC 4G XP - Pearl White Intel processor 7" Wide VGA 512MB Memory 4GB HDD Integrated Graphics Eee PC Screen Size 7" Wide Screen Support Yes Display Type Wide VGA Resolution 800 x 480 Card Reader MMC/SD(SDHC) Dimensions 8.86" x 6.30" x 0.79-1.26".

Newegg also has some unusual Linux and gOS V2 Operating System computers at $399.99 which are Everex and some Everex XP computers but their priced higher. (1) CloudBook CE1200V (2) VA1500V VIA C7-M both are gos V2 system. A higher priced (ASUS Eee PC 4G XP - Pearl White Intel processor 7" Wide VGA 512MB Memory 4GB HDD Integrated Graphics Eee PC - Retail) with (Microsoft 9QA-01498 Office Small Business 2007 V2 (no media, Lic only) English DSP MLK 1-Pack License - OEM) is $20 Off right now Combo Price: $589.98.

Collapse -
Re: Need New PC with Windows XP
by Big Steve / May 16, 2008 2:27 PM PDT

I'm in the same situation but I have checked out Dell's website who is offering an Inspiron 530 desktop PC which can be configured with either Windows Home XP or Windows Pro XP through Dell's Home Office unit or you can configure a few different model desktops through Dell's Small Business unit, the Dell Vostro desktop for one being sold through Dell's Small Business unit the last time I checked could be configured with Windows Home or Windows Pro XP if it's a desktop PC that you need. If it's a laptop Dell also offers a few models which can be configured with Windows XP, 2 in the Home Office unit and I know of at least one which I have been considering through Dell's Small Business unit, the Dell Vostro 1500 laptop which can be configured with Windows XP.

Collapse -
Try Tiger
by porlockgirl / May 16, 2008 2:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Try Tiger
by Big Steve / May 16, 2008 2:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Try Tiger

Are you referring to Tiger Direct? If you are would you also know if Tiger Direct sells new units with Windows XP or just refurbished units with Windows XP?

Collapse -
There are PCs with Windows XP out there
by atheria / May 16, 2008 7:14 PM PDT

Hello Courtney,

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail?sku=8461389

I bought my Lenovo (IBM) N200 with a stock Windows XP Professional. It was shipped overnight (for free) and the packaging is the only thing I had any gripes with - they didn't double box it so I wasn't a happy camper BUT I am using the laptop to type this and I am really glad I did NOT get Vista.

You can upgrade most laptops easily (or the place you buy them from will do it for a bit more). Getting as much memory as you can afford will just save you from having to get it later.

I have firewire, wireless, modem, external port for a monitor, and four USB ports - one left and three right. Of course built in networking and a widescreen 15 inch isn't bad for $599.00

The ONLY thing I do NOT like about this computer are the junky speakers, but if you hook up a headset or computer speakers that's not a deal breaker at all - it hasn't been for me.

I use a mouse unless I am traveling then the touchpad isn't bad - this model does not have a pointing stick but I didn't use one before so I don't miss it.

Newegg is a great vendor, if you choose to buy there, just do a search or call them and tell them you want to buy a laptop under some many dollars with such and such features. Not all of them speak perfect English, but it's a very inexpensive way to get good computer equipment.

If you have questions about a website that you find - check out resellerratings.com - not all websites are there, but the best of the best AND the worst of the worst are there with REAL people ratings. I've rated stores there myself and it always pays to do your homework, which is why you came here, right? Happy

http://www.resellerratings.com/topstores.pl

Cheers!
~atheria

Collapse -
XP
by Scorpio52 / May 16, 2008 10:44 PM PDT

Try Tigerdirect.com . They have a good supply of computers with XP.
I just bought one to replace a Dell. Works great. Ordered online
and recieved 3 days later. Cost was under 500.00. Shipping free.

Collapse -
Re: XP
by Big Steve / May 16, 2008 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: XP

Which brand or brands would you recommend buying from Tiger Direct instead of buying a new computer from Dell? Which brand or brands would you recommend for a new desktop with WIN XP? Which brand or brands would you recommend for a new laptop with WIN XP?

Collapse -
XP
by Scorpio52 / May 16, 2008 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: XP

I think the choice of brands should be up to you. They have a wide Varity. The one I just bought is a system max. The retired Dell has
served me well for 5 years. Check out what they have and read the reviews on them. They have a choice of refurbished or new. I prefer
new.

Collapse -
XP
by Chryslerman / May 16, 2008 11:38 PM PDT

Wal-Mart sells an eMachines PC (Desktop) with XP Home and has a 2.2G Processor, 1G RAM, 160G hard Drive and a DVD Burner. No Monitor or printer and sells for $299.99

My sister bought one a week ago and is very happy with it and uses her PC heavily every day. She is an eBay Power Seller.

Collapse -
Pre-loaded already
by frollo17 / May 17, 2008 1:53 AM PDT

Ive recently bought a new laptop and Windows Vista is an option whether or not you want to install it. Windows XP is the premium built into most comps, so in other words XP is the operating system but they offer you Vista.
As this doesn't apply to all laptops and comps then there are some you can by for a cheaper price in large retail stores (e.g PCWorld)

Collapse -
by Wendywalter / May 17, 2008 2:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Desktop PC with XP
by bill9199 / May 17, 2008 4:27 AM PDT

I just bought a desktop PC from Dell not too long ago and I did get it with Xp instead of Vista. Check online and see if they still offer them! I paid right at $700 for it WITH a monitor! I got a 19" flatscreen with it for that price with free shipping. Not sure it they are still offering that same price but the only difference in the one I built with XP and the one with Vista was they didn't offer the dual optical drives with this one. That was a small price to pay to get XP instead of Vista as far as I was concerned. Good luck! You should be able to find one.

Collapse -
Re: Desktop PC with XP
by Big Steve / May 17, 2008 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Desktop PC with XP

CJmaiden:

Did you buy an Inspiron 530?

Collapse -
Dell PC
by bill9199 / May 17, 2008 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Desktop PC with XP

No, I bought an E521 and so far I've really liked it...no problems so far except the "normal" windows quirks! lol

Collapse -
Re: Dell PC
by Big Steve / May 17, 2008 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell PC

A Dell E521? Does that come with an Intel or an Athlon processor? Does Dell still make the E521? Is that the one with the "slim" tower or the "large" tower?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.