I need a new graphics card with an HDMI port. have a refurbished lenovo with:

Pentium E2140 1.6 GHz processor
Lenovo MB - LPCIO;
chipset: Intel 946PL/GZ
southboard: 82801 GB
Bios: 2QKT22AUS
graphics: Intel 946GZ
DDR2 memory - 2gb

None of this really means anything to me! But I'm reasonably confident I can install a new card . . . took computer data from CPU-Z software - recommended somewhere here

I'm only going to watch internet video (TV networks and Netflix) with this computer - connected to a 1080 hd samsung TV. that's it! Don't need anything special; but have no idea how to find a graphics card that's compatible with MB

thanks in advance

Let me know if I forgot some spec you need

Happy Holidays!

Kelly

hondochica has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need new graphic card with HDMI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need new graphic card with HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by hondochica

Collapse -
I didn't see the computer's power supply
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 6:40 AM PST

But look at the usual ATI 5450 1GB low profile compatible card you find for 30 bucks at newegg. It's a sleeper of a card that has HDMI and enough oomph without need to change the power supply in all the boxes I've seen.
Bob

Collapse -
pci express?
by hondochica / December 20, 2012 7:18 AM PST

Does the interface type matter? how would I figure this out if I had to know? If I'm looking at the right card - it says pci express 2.1; and DDR3 memory .. does it have it's own memory

boy I really don't know anything about this . . .. ;- )

thanks

kelly

Collapse -
I don't know which Lenovo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: pci express?

You supplied quite a few details. Maybe I missed which Lenovo it is.

Sorry but the card's memory is only of interest to those that dissect cards. Here we need a video card. The memory could be DDR, static or core and it would not matter to the host PC.
Bob

Collapse -
lenovo . . .
by hondochica / December 20, 2012 7:30 AM PST

It's refurbished (joy systems) - so I'm not sure that the components are original - it could actually be 'rebuilt' - with some other components but this was the description:

Lenovo IBM ThinkCentre M55e Desktop PC - Intel Dual-Core 1.6GHz, 2GB DDR2, 80GB HDD, DVD-ROM, Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit,

Also - won't buy from newegg anymore - nothing but headaches with UPS lost shipment . . . but found this at tigerdirect:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7373215&CatId=1558

looks very similar and heck of a deal . .

Kelly

Collapse -
Looks good to me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: lenovo . . .
Collapse -
Thanks
by hondochica / December 20, 2012 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: Looks good to me too.

Will let you know how it works out!

Thanks so much and have a wonderful Winter Solstice - Christmas Holiday Season!!

Kelly

Collapse -
Bob - are you still there?
by hondochica / December 20, 2012 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Do I need to figure out what type of USB port I have (2.0? 3.0?) before I buy an external HD?

thanks

Kelly

Collapse -
Remember I don't know which m55 you have.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 10:22 AM PST

There are dozens so I can't check them all. If I was betting it would be 2.0 because 3.0 was out later.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.