Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Need laptop wireless internet service that can go anywhere..

by jkamemories / March 13, 2008 3:23 PM PDT

I am not sure if this is the correct forum or if I am phrasing this question correctly (using the correct terms...) so please bare with me and thank you for your help in advance.....

I have Comcast broadband network connection at home on my desktop and I can than use my laptop in other rooms. I have a Gateway MA3 Model Laptop with a Broadcom Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter. I have been able to find access away from home using free WI FI at coffee shops, hotels...etc...but what I want to do is have access to the internet when a wireless network signal is not available......for example at a friends house there are no signals available and they have dial up so instead of connecting to their dial up I want a card or whatever that will let me have wireless internet access. Is there like are there internet cards or plug in that I can take with me as I travel and have access without having to use someone else's network or dial up. Not sure the term I am looking for...or where to look. I heard Verizon has something like that for phones/ipods....can someone tell me the correct term and where to find them...what they recommend? I am not concerned with having a connection to my home desk top computer when I am away...just access to a high speed internet service without having to attach to a phone line. HELPPPPPP... Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need laptop wireless internet service that can go anywhere..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need laptop wireless internet service that can go anywhere..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just looked into that for my dad.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2008 11:37 PM PDT

My dad is spending too much time between hospital and a recovery home that we looked at broadband cards. Verizon only confused everyone with deals to convert his home to DSL and supply 8 new cell phones to the entire family.

That's when a member noted a site that only deals with broadband cards. Try

Collapse -
Internet anywhere
by Dumb Army Boy / March 14, 2008 11:57 AM PDT

The solution to your problem is going to tie you to one of the major cellular players. Sprint and Verizon offer the fastest service, both have unlimited for around $60 per month. AT&T has a $60/month plan, but it's no longer unlimited. Go over 5 gigs and you will be very, very sorry.

Instead of a pcmcia or expresscard device, consider a USB unit. That way you can move it from laptop to desktop to UMPC, and even connect it to a home router.

Collapse -
I once......
by Papa Echo / March 18, 2008 12:49 AM PDT

...used my cellphone as a modem...connection was slow, but ok with e-mails...but I did not like it when I received the phone bill...

Collapse -
You may want to try
by northsantee / March 18, 2008 6:34 AM PDT

We have Verizon Wireless Nationwide Unlimited. Works great, very fast internet connection, no cables-it plugs into the USB port. Don't have to worry about wifi hotspots. No disconnects. We even use our laptop with the Verizon Air Card to make all of our SKYPE internet telephone calls while we are on the go and don't have the great big cell phone bills.

Collapse -
internet on my laptop while traveling

I need to acquire internet access on my laptop while traveling in the states besides relying on coffee shops, etc.

Is there a device/application that can be used in conjunction with my laptop to accomplish connection? I will be staying in accommodations that do not provide wi-fi.

Collapse -
Anywhere Wireless!!!!
by nezzie4 / October 27, 2010 3:48 PM PDT

Staples has it!!! There are different plans. Check it out!!

Collapse -
internet connection for laptop
by swanchak / March 12, 2010 10:54 PM PST

i am in a hospital and would to get wifi laptop connection how would i do this i have dell pc window 7 who could do this for me and how much and what would i need

Collapse -
Internet service on the go
by joalex7 / June 19, 2010 1:27 AM PDT

I have the same situation. Did you ever find a solution? I can always find WIFI at coffee shops, book stores ect...However, I will be on vacation next month and there is no WIFI where we are staying....I have comcast as my internet service at home and I use AT&T for my cell phone. Is there such a thing as a card to get service without paying an extra 60.00 or so a month. Thanks

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2010 2:46 AM PDT

You can google these terms.

Collapse -
Sprints and Verizon have wireless systems!
by celiacapps / July 31, 2010 1:21 AM PDT

It is my understanding that both Sprint and Verizon have a useful wireless system for laptops. I have Been with Sprint for over 10 years and have had a good experience with them. my signal is amazing and more often than not i have clear signal. I drove big rigs for many yrs across the country and needed a service that was reliable. Eventually i found myself in need of internet service to run my business as well. Again sprint had the answers. my first unit for internet wasn't a wand (which i was grateful for since my friend had a wand and ended up damaging it) but a card that fit inside my laptop slot. it was on 24/7 and rarely lost signal. Usually my low signal was in Wy. and Mn. areas. later I found out i was working with a dinosaur system and that Sprint had gone beyond this forum. I was given a new wireless tool and haven't looked back! The service is for some a bit pricey but considering it Unlimited access, its a great deal! The new Sprint system was a very small card about the size of a credit card that gave even better access and i found that more than 2/3 of the areas i wasn't able to receive in places like Wy. and Mn. were now available!
My new system allows up to 5 people to access the internet from my 1 card at no extra cost and was extremally fast and usefull. the cost for unlimited is $60 dollars a month but it is in my opinion well worth the cost.
Goodluck with ur search i hope i was of assistance Happy

Collapse -
Internet connection for laptop
by lle0610 / July 16, 2010 12:49 AM PDT

I am a independent distributor with a company called Clear. We provide 4g(super fast)internet service for home and laptop. Our service is very inexpensive and you will not regret it. But, first I would like to know your zip code to see if coverage is in your area.

thank you in advance for your response

Collapse -
by mjs38 / March 23, 2010 1:50 PM PDT

I was in Florida this winter and went to verison, got a stick, it was nearly $300.00 for five weeks, awful to be addicted to internet.

Collapse -
wireless modem is what you need...

1 week ago, i finished taking a class that explained that 4G (faster newer technology) networks are going up in the major cities. meanwhile, most areas have 3G networks which will allow you to get online when you're away from your computer. Comcast, Sprint, Intel, Google financed a company called Clear... you should check out

Collapse -
Great ideer, edumacation
by jwscnet / July 17, 2010 6:13 AM PDT

Great idea expanding your education.I think they were right on 4G WiFi bein' the future of wireless communication, both voice and data. I have Qwest DSL and Comcast cable wired. I'm enjoying the heck outa' the convenience of my Sprint Overdrive. (I even get 2 MB download in the downstairs bathroom) I really think it will be a good while before wireless anything replaces wired. (good day cable (no glass)= 20+ MB's download, Qwest DSL 12 MB's download and on a good day 4G WiFi 5+ MB's download)
I think more important than the actual download speed is the latency. I've seen as little as 8ms or 9ms on cable and as high as 450ms on 4G WiFi. (longggg way to a tower)

Collapse -
by jwscnet / July 17, 2010 6:30 AM PDT

Whoa', POST line you must be DSLing it? As far as wireless routers go for connecting your other wireless devices. I have tried G, N (dual band N, both 2.5 Ghz and 5 Ghz N), no big improvement and I was still dependent on my apartment or wireless hot spots. Probably the best thing to do would be to keep your hard wire ISP (DSL or cable) and get one of the data plans from Verison or Sprint. I just got the Sprint Overdrive about a month ago and I love it. I had to pay for the Overdrive because it's a router and allows you to connect up to 5 other connections. I would have received a free USB modem/4G adapter because it was bundled with the $60 dollar activation fee (yes, expensive, but it sure is convenient)

Collapse -
Wireless Internet
by lle0610 / July 19, 2010 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: routers

Hi Router,

You are right, I am using Verizon DSL, and that is because 4g is not yet fully in my area. However, I do have my 4g+ stick for my laptop which is way faster than DSL and Cable and I can use it anywhere 4g and 3g is, no problem. Our 4g clear spot(hot spot)$44.99+tax can serve up to 8 persons in 4g area with(unlimited downloads) and the 4g+ clear spot(hot spot)$60.99+(only one)tax,can serve up to 5 persons(unlimited download) in 4g area, but limited on the 3g area due to 3g carriers caping. There are no activation fee with a 2yr contract and $35 activation fee with month to month for which the customer will purchase the product. We are very inexpensive. and convenient. We are not in every area yet, but we will be.

Give us a call if you are interested. 240-582-9478
p.s. I will let you know if we are in your area.

Thanks for your response

Collapse -
RE: Need laptop wireless internet service that can go....
by RicharGee7 / July 31, 2010 11:21 AM PDT

I don't know if this will work in your country, but I use something called a Vodafone HSDPA USB modem and I get speeds of 14.4 Mbps. I buy a data package from my cellphone company and stick my sim card(I have an extra sim) into the usb modem and that connects to a laptop(it looks like a memory stick ie the usb modem). It works like a charm and I'm not stuck to any contracts. I buy bandwith as I need it.

Collapse -
found my internet
by kennerman / September 23, 2010 6:04 AM PDT

This summer I went and visited relatives in Pennsylvania and needed internet for work. I found a company called and rented a verizon USB card without a contract. It was really easy.

Collapse -
by nezzie4 / October 27, 2010 3:44 PM PDT

If you want to connect to wireless anywhre at anytime, go to staples and ask about it. There is a plan for wireless hwere ever you go!! There are different plans. I don't have it but I just looked at it a couple of days ago!! Check it out!! There are different plans available!!!

Collapse -
You can use TetherBridge
by jason592 / October 29, 2010 5:48 AM PDT

If you have a Blackberry, you can use the Blackberry tether app from TetherBridge ( to connect your laptop to the internet through your Blackberry. It works great. For only a small ont-time fee, it allows your laptop to connect to the internet by sharing your Blackberry data plan for the lifetime of your Blackberry. Works great and extremely cost effective.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.