Laptops forum

General discussion

Need help with what seems to be video card driver issue

by flows69 / April 19, 2013 3:18 PM PDT

Hello guys,

I have an Alienware M17X R2. To sum up, I had the screen and one video card replaced (one of my two HD Radeon 4870). Since then I have had problems.

Windows 7 can be installed but after a few hours I get blue screens of death at startup. Ubuntu 12.04 cannot really be installed. At the end of the day the only operating system that will run is Ubuntu 12.10.

I believe I have understood why the only operating system that would run on my laptop is Ubuntu 12.10. It is the only operating system I have tried that does not install the proprietary drivers for the video cards. Even then, if I try to install those drivers on Ubuntu 12.10 in order to use my HDMI connections I end up with permanent black screen. As long as those drivers are not installed Ubuntu 12.10 runs just fine.

I would like to add, for what it's worth, that when I install Windows 7 (before getting BSODs) the device manager does not detect any problem with my video cards.

Does it sound like a hardware issue or a software issue ? Any idea what could lead to this mess ? Any fix ?

Sorry for this quite long post ... I try to be as precise as I can.

Any help is greatly appreciated Wink

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with what seems to be video card driver issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with what seems to be video card driver issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
after a few hours I get blue screens of death at startup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2013 1:34 AM PDT

That's a classic hardware issue. If it's fine when cold and not after a few hours on the next boot, you are back to Dell to get it fixed.

Then again I'm still finding folk that will not accept you can't use this on a couch or bed! Those folk will be great for the industry as they burn through the gear.

Collapse -
It is unfortunately not linked to temperature
by flows69 / April 20, 2013 6:34 AM PDT

Hi Proffitt,

The problem cannot come from temperature. The laptop is on my desk on a cooling pad and the BSODs and or/black screen happen whether the laptop is cool or hot.

What is really weird is that when I install Windows 7 and the video card drivers I can use my video cards for a few hours without problems. After a few hours (with constant additional cooling from the fans of the cooling pad + internal fans of the laptop work normally) I get a BSOD and Windows will not start after that, even after a whole night unplugged.

I am sure you get many people who underestimate needs for cooling Wink I wish I had such a simple problem ....

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post anyway,

Collapse -
Then let's see what Dell and others write.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2013 6:56 AM PDT

If it is a software issue, a restore to the factory OS will cure it.

Collapse -
Formated and reinstalled everything with factory settings
by flows69 / April 20, 2013 8:03 AM PDT

Dell included a Windows and original drivers DVD when IO ordered the computer. I formated my hard drive and reinstalled everything using those factory ressources the problem remains the same ...

It is amazingly frustrating.

Collapse -
Then it's a hardware issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2013 12:30 AM PDT

If the factory load fails on a factory stock machine, then it's hardware. This can frustrate those that want it to be a software/driver issue.

Dell needs to fix it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.