HP

Question

Need help with SPI ROM recovery header

by lasvegaswireman / August 4, 2011 12:04 PM PDT

I have a p6130y that has a Pegatron M2N78-LA aka Violet-GL8E motherboard. I made the mistake of accepting a BIOS update via one of HP's update services which BRICKed the computer. I have tried to recover it using various boot block recovery methods but it appears that the boot block is also corrupt.

That said, I have a BlackCat USB JTAG/SPI programmer and notice a SPI ROM recovery header on the motherboard. HP's website states "This connector allows qualified technicians to reload firmware into the SPI boot flash in case there is problem with the data. This jumper should not be changed." I have tried to use the header per HP's pinouts but the programmer can't find the SPI ROM chip.

Anyone with information about the use or function of this header, please respond. I would like to know if it follows standard SPI specs or if it is a modified proprietary HP version. Do I need any buffering or isolation circuitry, etc. Any useful information that aids me in recovering this machine would be appreciated.

Frank

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with SPI ROM recovery header
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with SPI ROM recovery header
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So far the only non-HP shop fix is to swap the motherboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2011 12:45 AM PDT

It's a shame but you can go to hp.com, click on the chat button and you can check my answer there.

HP does not reveal any other method. Yes, I'm an embedded electronics designer but that does not matter here. The other thing folk do is to swap said chip with another board that has other issues.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
HP Compaq SPI header pin out.
by ichayan / November 14, 2011 6:13 PM PST

Hi I had a bricked mobo and in my search to ressurect it i had the same confusion as yours. I found this information from the following link. But the link is not working for some reason but i managed to getthis from googles cached pages hope this wont be too late for you.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:R_5PFW_S2x0J:bios-repair.co.uk/repref/hp-compaq/HP-Compaq-SPI-Header.html+HP+spi+header&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

HP
Compaq SPI
Header
Pinouts
Besides the HP-Compaq SPI header pinouts being a NON standard format.
There is also a jumper accross pins 1 and 2 which
needs to be removed before attempting to connect the programmers ISP
lead to the SPI Header.
I was able to map out the 6 pins needed for programming using a
Multimeter. Pinouts are as below.

SPI
Header
Pin 1 -- No connection needed
SPI
Header
Pin 2 -- CE
SPI
Header
Pin 3 -- SI
SPI
Header
Pin 4 -- Not Present
SPI
Header
Pin 5 -- SO
SPI
Header
Pin 6 -- Vdd
SPI
Header
Pin 7 -- SCK
SPI
Header
Pin 8 -- Vss

My addition
====================================================

2 4 6 8

1 3 5 7

There is no pin 4 and there is a jumper across 1 and 2.
====================================================

Connect Programmer as above, programmer software may complain that
two pins are missing but they are not needed to erase, blank check,
program or for verifying the onboard Device.
After programming, the jumper which was removed from pins 1 and 2
needs to be refitted. Our example of the M2N68-LA worked fine after
reprogramming the BIOS Chip Via the SPI header.

Collapse -
SPI Recovery M2N61-AR
by cnetnx1 / June 7, 2012 8:05 PM PDT

ichayan,

Would it be possible to give me the full schematic for this cable?

I've a bricked m2n61-ar I would like to flash

Many thanks

Collapse -
JTAG Xilinx cable HS1 USB
by as_martin / July 3, 2013 12:09 PM PDT

Hi.

I have a Digilent USB JTAG calbe HS1 Rev. A to program FPGAs from Xilinx.

I can identify some signals like:

SO -> TDO
SI -> TDI
SCK -> TCK
Vdd -> VDD

But regardin CE and Vss I need to know if CE matches TMS and Vss matches GND (reference).

Please could you confirm these equivalences between SPI and JTAG signals?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Alex

Collapse -
From HP Webpage Pinout
by as_martin / July 4, 2013 2:24 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.