TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Need help with Sony Wega TV connections

by falcios / February 8, 2009 10:15 PM PST

My TV was showing fuzzy vertical lines and someone recommended that I use s-video. I called the cable company and they told me how to setup the RCA [audio cables]. They told me when I wanted to use the DVD I have to unplug the RCA cables that are piggybacking to the TV in order for the DVD to work.
Is there any easy way to hook up all the devices so that the video and audio work?
I am working with a digital cable box, VCR and DVD.

Current setup
S-video connected to digital box and TV
RCA cables into digital box and in to VCR and in to TV as well as the video yellow plug
S-video gave me a better picture and I use video 1 on remote control.

Coaxial cables into digital box and in to VCR and out to TV; not currently being used

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with Sony Wega TV connections
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with Sony Wega TV connections
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please list the make/model numbers of all your components
by Pepe7 / February 8, 2009 11:50 PM PST

It's easier to provide help when you know all the dirty details ;).

-Pedro

Collapse -
Additional details
by falcios / February 9, 2009 1:32 AM PST

Digital cable box: audio L&R only
TV: Sony Wega KV-20FV12, in 1: video, L&R, In 2: audio L&R only
VCR: JVC HR-J643U , Video and L&R, out only
DVD: Toshiba SD-K770

I am currently using s-video connection.
Hope this additional information helps.

Collapse -
breakout box or switching device necessary
by Pepe7 / February 12, 2009 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: Additional details

Unfortunately the older Wegas don't have many inputs ;(. You could partially remedy this by using a simple inexpensive breakout box which will serve as a switch to alternate inputs going into the same video 1 input in back of the TV. Here's one I saw @ buy.com:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202155720&listingid=1328198&dcaid=17902

For starters, here's a link to the Sony user manual for reference (*see page 18 for help w/ connecting your VCR)-
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=KV20FV12&LOC=3

Here's an option:

JVC VCR (red/white/yellow out) --> (red/white/yellow in) <switch box>
Toshiba DVD player (S-Video out & red/white audio out) --> (S-Video in & red/white audio in) <switch box>

<switch box> (S-Video out) --> (S-Video in) Sony Wega TV
(red/white audio out) --> (red/white audio in)

Now you will likely want to experiment with the outputs on the cable box. You probably have more options here (S-Video, etc.) but to keep things simply I'd probably use the coaxial connections as they've depicted on page 18 or the Sony TV manual. Run that out to the VCR, then out from the VCR to the TV, as you aren't using external audio/speakers. Using the current red/white audio out from the cable box means you would have to also connect it to the switch box I suggested. Let me know if this makes sense, but use p.18 religiously in the meantime for the basic idea on how to connect it all. Sony does a good job in giving options if you look at the notes it contains below the basic steps.

-Pedro

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.