Storage forum

General discussion

Need help with removing write protection on my MP3 files.

by tchanter / January 25, 2006 4:14 PM PST

Hi, i am trying to export songs, mp3's from my computer onto my Samsung A920. I am using my belkin and my transflash card to put music on to so i can then put it on my cell phone. However when ever i try and move an mp3 file onto the transflash card it tells me that there is write protection and to try and use another disk! i have no idea what that means and i need to know how i can remove the write-protection on the mp3's so i can get them onto my cell phone.... PLEASE HELP! thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with removing write protection on my MP3 files.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with removing write protection on my MP3 files.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Right click the file. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 25, 2006 10:26 PM PST

Click Properties. Look at the bottom of the window. Uncheck Read Only.

Collapse -
I right clicked.
by tchanter / January 26, 2006 7:02 AM PST

I did what you said above and it is still giving me the same message that it is write-protected, and when i go back to properties it has been changed back to read-only.

Collapse -
You might try. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 26, 2006 11:37 AM PST
In reply to: I right clicked.

moving them to the HD first.

Collapse -
how to remove write protection from trans flash card
by nitin.grg / June 4, 2006 7:23 AM PDT

I had the same problem.There is a button on an adapter for your trans flash card with position lock.If your is on lock just slide it on the other side and you should be able to put music on your trans flash card.
I tried going in properties and uncheck "read only" but iT did not help.
I hope this help to all with thiss issue

Collapse -
how to remove write protection from trans flash card
by koupris / April 16, 2007 4:37 AM PDT

<i>by nataly2213 - 6/4/06 2:23 PM
In reply to: I right clicked. by tchanter

I had the same problem.There is a button on an adapter for your trans flash card with position lock.If your is on lock just slide it on the other side and you should be able to put music on your trans flash card.

Thank you my friend!You Really saved me!!!^^

Collapse -
In Reply to: I right clicked. by tchanter
by alywhite555 / April 1, 2011 8:58 AM PDT

Thank you! I was about to bring the card back, and cut my losses. Thank you, thank you. This worked.

Collapse -
remove write protect from GXT portable data stick
by ownersdestinations / April 7, 2007 9:52 PM PDT

I used a new GXT data stick and copied a lot of files to it in one go. Then when I went back to add more and delete a couple it wouldn't let me do either, said it was write protected. There are no buttons on the data stick itself, there is nothing in the properties box to check or uncheck or that says it is write protected. it just says to remove the write protect to keep on using but doesn't tell me how and there seems to be no way to do this. Help please, please.

Collapse -
remove right protect fromdata stick
by 1932gene / May 26, 2008 6:15 AM PDT

I have several brands of data stick all of a suden my computer said they are write protect,how do I rmove it

Collapse -
hey guys!
by yhats_choy / June 10, 2010 11:59 PM PDT

if you have a problem from a write protected in your USB or MP3's. . just unlock your mp3's/usb! try! it works!

Collapse -
Id Tags resolved
by blontz15 / July 18, 2011 12:41 AM PDT

hey dude, i had the same problem. if your on iTunes and you right click the file and then go to get info, then click the 2nd tab..its all gray'd out right?

well..this time right click the file and then click on "create AAC Version" once its created you can edit the tags

Collapse -
write protection
by kater_bug / September 16, 2006 9:26 AM PDT

It doesn't work!!!

Collapse -
Mp3 Player write-protection
by Tasha#2 / October 6, 2009 11:31 AM PDT

Please help.
My mp3 player keeps saying that it is write protected and to use another disk I want to add more songs but it won't let me. I have tried using properties and taking it off Read-Only but that doesn't work it is driving me nuts and I have a huge dance comp and all my music is on my mp3 I need help ASAP! It has happened before but it took a month to fix.
Hope you can help.

Collapse -
Need help with removing write protection on my MP3 files.
by nissem / April 19, 2006 1:40 PM PDT

hi my name is maria and I am having the ecxact same problem i've tried to do what you told him but it's not working can you please help me i'm desprate.

Collapse -
Downloading MP3s to a Samsung A920 Phone
by jeffdoc / April 22, 2006 8:42 AM PDT

It is not too hard to download MP3s to your phone. First you will need to have a USB-Micro SD Adapter. Circuit City sells them. Plug it into your USB port. Make your the Micro-Transflash adapter is not set to lock (this is what enables write protection, it is on the side of the adapter). Copy files into the Media folder created by your phone on the disk. Now you can play those MP3s. E-Mail me at for info if you need help.

Collapse -
by 90pi / January 26, 2007 6:28 AM PST

thanx so much i haad the same thing i just took it off lock but it was with my mp3 neways thank you god bless you

Collapse -
removing right protection
by Muanjai / May 28, 2008 3:16 PM PDT

I made sure lock is off. But I still can't copy files from my computer to micro in my usb port. I tried to eject and reinsert but same thing. Any Idea's??

Collapse -
on properties on drive
by Muanjai / May 28, 2008 3:22 PM PDT

My properties on card has NO buttom anywhere to click off write only or anything else like that

Collapse -
(NT) how to remove write protection from my micro sd
by stfs / December 28, 2006 9:55 PM PST
Collapse -
micro sd has no real write protection.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2006 10:07 PM PST
Collapse -
Removing write protection from a micro SD
by Gill182 / March 12, 2010 9:37 PM PST

I've been having the same problem with write protection. I finally managed to transfer an album onto my Micro card when I changed the card adapter. After hours of trying, it was a loose slider on the side that was causing the problem.

Collapse -
protected files
by ebjo / January 8, 2007 12:43 AM PST

Are these mp3 files dowloaded files that you paid for. Have embeded code for preventing copies.

Collapse -
My solution
by -Razor- / January 17, 2007 2:12 AM PST

I had the same problem and i just forgot to unlock the lock button on my mp3. TIP: before pluging your mp3 make sure its unlocked!!! Thats is. If that doesn't work then you are an idiot!

Collapse -
Not quite true
by tdmcdougall / January 18, 2007 3:17 PM PST
In reply to: My solution

I just received a 2GB microSD (Trans Flash) and installed it into my Motorola V3i (D&G) in order to have my MP3 for ringtones and for on the spot videos. The phone detected the card and said it was unformatted, "do you want to format?". No matter what I kept failing. Remember, first use, brand new SanDisk.

I then took out the card, placed it in the adapter, switch by default in the open position and tried to format using my built in reader. No luck. Dazzle high speed reader, same thing.

My question. Is this "electronicaly locked" or a malfunction (bad batch of cards?

Maybe SanDisk can help here.

Colonel Terry

Collapse -
by splsearch / March 24, 2007 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Not quite true

Good evening Colonel

I am in a similar boat. I have the 1GB micro sd card and I get a write protected error each time i try and load. I formatted it on my phone (VX8300) initially and the lock is not on. I tried 2 different cards and two different sd adapters. I too have the dazzle high speed reader. could this be the problem??

Collapse -
Read only mode on card reader
by rparamount / August 18, 2007 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: similar

I just had the same thing happen to me. I was using the card reader that is built into my Canon MP830 printer. Then I remembered that my printer has a built in read/write lock in the printer itself. I went into the setup menus for my printer and changed the card reader from read only mode to read/write mode. Then I put the card in and I was able to copy files to my mini-sd card. Chances are that if you are having this issue, your card reader is set in a "read only" mode.

-Thanks, RP

Collapse -
Thanks, you solved the problem
by mediumsteve / January 11, 2008 2:04 PM PST

I'm not sure why the rest of you are continuing with this chain as if the problem has not been solved. If your Sandisk is write protected and you've already set it to "unlock", then you card reading device is most likely in read only mode. Give the dude some credit!

Collapse -
removing write protection from transflash, micro sd cards
by cnet 2007 / August 7, 2007 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: My solution

There seems to be an issue here that?s not being resolved. Many out there clearly have a problem with removing write protection. They are not idiots. Unfortunately some people giving advice are not very good listeners. so for you in particular I?d like to state the facts.

Unchecking read only, though cute, does not work
Downloading to hd is another cul-de-sak
And the most obvious suggestion, unlock sd card, is obvious.

So what?s the problem, well its most likely that the write protection message is in fact a smoke screen to hide the fact that your card reader is at fault, alot of multi card readers seem to be the problem, other than that there really is very little else that can go wrong. Swap card readers and find out.

cnet 2007

Collapse -
by prattj / August 17, 2007 1:27 AM PDT

Good Morning,

I'm having the same problem. The tab on my card is not locked, and I've tried with two different card readers. Also, when the card is in my digital camera, the photos save to it just fine. Do you have any other thoughts on this?

Collapse -
by cnet 2007 / August 17, 2007 4:30 AM PDT

Sorry to hear your having problems. This really is a pain..Whenever I had an issue with write protection I always managed to solve it by changing card readers, but it sounds like youve done this. How about going into a dealer and ask to try out a spangly new card reader there and then, take your memmory card and try and download in the shop. Most shops will let you try before you buy, especially if you say something like " I dont trust buying online any more. we should all support our local retailers". You know the kind of thing. Anyway it seems like its really hit or miss out there regarding writ-pro, with some people sailing fullsteam ahead without a sign of an iceberg whilst others resort to the WHY ME senario so good luck and remember when technology goes bad its not personal. Dont get angry, get even

Collapse -
by shlomoshlomo / December 14, 2011 8:48 PM PST

I had the same problem. I formated the MP-3 and it works fine (of course everything is errase, but at least the device works.)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.