Samsung forum

General discussion

Need help with our Samsung LN52a650

by sathya_rajan / July 25, 2008 4:07 PM PDT

Ok -- so we had our Samsung delivered yesterday. We excitedly plugged it in to get it all set up, and all we get is a blurry picture. Our first reaction was maybe it was our non-hdmi cable box. So we tried a DVD. Even that you can see ghost images. So then we borrowed our neighbours HDMI cable and his HDMI DVD player. We figured that would help. Even then our DVD movies still have ghost images -- and the picture is just not clear. Reading all these rave reviews about a crisp image -- we are feeling really let down. Is our TV defective? Or are we missing something really basic in the set up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sathya and Sunita

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with our Samsung LN52a650
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with our Samsung LN52a650
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
blurry picture?
by abern01 / July 29, 2008 2:48 AM PDT

It's hard to say without being there, but if all your initial setting are at default, then it is possible there may be a problem with the TV. Call Samsung tech support or the place where you bought it.

Collapse -
no no
by CyclonicKitten / July 31, 2008 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: blurry picture?

whoa, easy there, don't jump to conclusions we dont know ANY details of his setup yet. dont take the TV back my long post...

Collapse -
by CyclonicKitten / July 31, 2008 2:51 AM PDT

Well lets start with the cable box. Did you just upgrade to HD? I know when the comcast guy came out and setup our box he plugged it all in but he didnt set the BOX itself to output at 1080i. It was still set to 480i. Direct TV did the SAME thing with my grandparents-in-law's box. So make sure the box is set to output in high def. For the comcast boxes you usually have to turn the box off then press MENU and a white menu will come up and you can set the resolution there. Now another thing i want to know is if you do indeed have high-def programming? I get a lot of folks coming into my store expecting to see there programming in high-def just because they bought a high-def TV. Im not trying to insult your intelligence here but i figured i would ask.
Now with dvd movies there are two things. Dvds will never really be CLEAR on a high-def TV, they are 480 line movie being stretched to fit on a 1080 line screen. HDMI Upconverters and line doublers do a decent job at enhancing the quality but DVDs are what they are, a 480 line picture, so don't expect crystal clarity there, thats what they make blu-ray for. Second you might want to turn the automotion plus feature down to low or OFF while watching some DVDs. It can make them have weird artifacts or ghosting around the movement. I find that off to medium is best depending on the movie. Now if you get a blu-ray player and you set the player to output at 24p then go ahead and jack up the automotion to high.
Try these things, its so rare for a new TV to be defective and when they are they usually have multicolored lines splotches on them or they just flat out dont turn on. Im thinking your TV is probably fine but you may be expecting too much from dvds stretch on a 52 inch screen. And please let me know if you do indeed have the HD package from your provider, if you do, then check the settings on your box, if you dont have the HD package than you need to get it and that's why your picture is blurry.

One more thing, you said you have a non-hdmi box, are you using the green red and blue component cables then?

Collapse -
Good advice
by ice82 / August 8, 2008 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: hmm...

Well said, you have to look at your data source first before blaming it on the screen.
Do yourself a favour and get a PS3, even regular DVDs will look better thanks to its upconverting, AND you'll be set for Blu-ray movies and firmware updates.

Collapse -
Not a good tv if you watch SD channels?
by Shaymol / August 14, 2008 3:05 AM PDT

I just bought this tv, this will be the primary tv in our house and lot of the channels with out package are in SD, I'm now thinking maybe LCD is not the way to go or am I going to have similar results on SD channels even with a plasma tv? My DVR box is a Motorola box suplied by Comcast and it's not connected with the HDMI cable. I just ordered them (HDMI cables) and will see if that connection makes the clarity any better on SD channels. Also, on the HD channels, the motion blurr is very obvious and it's bothering me a lot. I'm watching the olympic broadcast in hd and every time the olympic logo pans out, the blur looks pretty bad and I keep looking for those jarred motion all the time now. Any suggestions for me?

Collapse -
by sathya_rajan / August 15, 2008 4:02 PM PDT

This TV is remarkable. The first TV we got through Amazon was probably defective due to transport issues. The picture definitely was not as clear as the replacement.

We are using it only with the upconverting DVD player. Cannot expect Blu-ray or 1080p clarity with a non Blu-ray movie. I have not yet upgraded my DVR-dish to an HD kind. SD channels through the DVR are just OK. Its like driving a Lamborghini on unleaded 87!!

We're also watching the Olympics with a simple $15 Philips unamplified antenna(signals off the air). The picture quality is just unbelievable.

Thanks to all those that responded.

Collapse -
SD question...
by Mr__S / August 25, 2008 5:04 PM PDT

As far as the Olympics not looking great, I would suggest this link as a good past discussion to understand why some Olympic broadcasting is having issues:

HDMI will generally not improve the picture for SD significantly. What you?re seeing is standard definition being shown on an HDTV, which is scaling 480 lines of resolution and displaying it with 1080 lines of resolution. There is, at this point, no suggested way to watch SD signals on HD without some pixilation.

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
Returned the LN52A650
by Shaymol / August 26, 2008 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: SD question...

The motion blur was driving me crazy and I just returned the LCD. If it was not for that specific problem with the motion, I would say this tv is an excellent tv. I'm getting the same model plasma and waiting........... Hope I made a good decision. If anyone is interested to know the out come I will reply.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.