Mac Applications forum

Question

Need Help with iMovie and Panasonic HDC-TM90

by mpisani / January 2, 2013 3:45 AM PST

First off - I'm a newbie at this. I saw an older post where someone was having trouble getting movies from their Panasonic HDC-TM90 to iMovie. I'm in the same boat. I've had the HDC-TM90 since last year and just filled up the 32Gb card so now I need to transfer the movies to my Mac. I have iMovie08 but am willing to upgrade to iMovie11 if I need to.

One of my main reasons for picking this camcorder was to get HD movies that are crisp and sharp. Is there a noticeable difference if I choose iFrame as my recording format as opposed to the 1080/60p I'm using now?

What I took away from the older post was that I needed to convert the movies (using ClipWrap) in AIC and then they would be accepted by iMovie. So correct me anywhere along the way but to keep the high quality of the 1080/60p I've recorded in, I need to purchase ClipWrap (unless there's something else) and take the entire AVCHD foler and drag it into the software where I can pick and choose what I want to convert. And when prompted I should choose AIC mode so the movies are compatable with iMovie. Am I on the right track?

Would this work for iMovie08 or do I need to upgrade to iMovie11? The movies are not going to be half speed or anything - right?

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help with iMovie and Panasonic HDC-TM90
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help with iMovie and Panasonic HDC-TM90
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 4:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Commet
by mpisani / January 2, 2013 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: Link, comment.

Bob,
I took the camcorder to the Apple Store yesterday and they were stumped. They (like I) could see 2 JPEGS on the SD card but no movies.

Collapse -
I expected that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Commet

In this case you fish out the video files off the card, camcorder and as you read in the prior discussion convert it to something usable. Yes, there will be loss, it may require converters and a newer iMovie but as we know, it's not going to be a "it just works" process.
Bob

Collapse -
Before you do anything destructive,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 7:32 AM PST

here's what I found a couple of years ago.

User with a Panasonic camera that would not see, and of course import, the movies that were on the HD.

We found that removing the JPEG still pictures from the drive, allowed everything to function as we thought it should.

Give that a whirl

P

Collapse -
AVCHD files?
by steveheric / March 2, 2013 12:42 AM PST

Were there MTS files under an AVCHD directory structure?
ClipWrap can convert these to AIC codec in a MOV wrapper for iMovie.

Collapse -
Answer
Buy iMovie 11 and ClipWrap
by steveheric / March 2, 2013 12:45 AM PST

iMovie 11 is worth the upgrade IMHO. For one thing it will actually use some of the imported AIC 60 fps info when you use the slow motion feature. Some posters have even indicated that you can export from iMovie to a full up 60 fps movie, though I have not tried this.

ClipWrap is $50, but is the only AVCHD converter I know of that both supports AVCHD 60 fps and preserves the creation date/time info of the file on output.

iFrame is a lower resolution format (30 fps, 960x540) but is sharp enough if you don't need full HD resolution and saves some memory space. For the full resolution and ability to get some nice slow motion, you want the full 1080p 60 fps mode.

Collapse -
Answer
Half-Speed
by steveheric / March 2, 2013 12:49 AM PST

If you convert the AVCHD 60 fps files to AIC 60 fps files (with ClipWrap or other converter), they can be imported with a "copy" (no optimization required), will play correctly in iMovie and they will not be at half speed. The 60 fps frames will be used when you do slow motion and may also be available when you export with Quicktime to a 60 fps movie.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.