E-readers forum

General discussion

Need Help With E-Book Reader

by kevlardude / June 18, 2010 6:56 AM PDT

I am thinking about buying an E-book reader but not exactly sure which one I should get.

I was weighing the options between the:

-Kindle2
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015T963C?ie=UTF8&tag=li084-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0015T963C

-Sony Reader Touch Edition
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MSJNHO?ie=UTF8&tag=li084-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002MSJNHO

-Sony Reader Daily Edition
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YC0N4K?ie=UTF8&tag=li084-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002YC0N4K

-Sony Reader Pocket Edition
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MSNS4S?ie=UTF8&tag=li084-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002MSNS4S

I know the Kindle2 has text to speech which is one thing that interests me but I am not sure if the Sony readers have that. I have trouble finding much on the Sony ones. All the readers above seem to have the same display type (which I like). Does anyone know the support for the Sony readers as far as having free, non-copyrighted, e-books available for download (which I have read the Kindle has (or Amazon...whichever))?

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help With E-Book Reader
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help With E-Book Reader
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Amazon Kindle 2
by glorya / June 19, 2010 2:47 AM PDT

I have had my Amazon Kindle for over one year now and really like it and would not hesitate to recommend it. There are soooooooooo many free e-books to load on it via Whispernet, which is Amazon's wireless capability and doesn't cost anything extra. Very convenient and easy to use. It is my understanding that Target has it for sale so you can see it for yourself before you buy. I bought mine online and never regretted it. I take it with me when traveling and this has really lightened up my suitcase (no more pocketbooks, hard cover books, etc.)

Collapse -
Go with the Kindle
by mad_reaper / June 19, 2010 3:20 AM PDT

Kindle is the clear favorite compared to Sony. Buy a Kindle. Why struggle along with an underdog?

Collapse -
The Nook
by boswd / June 19, 2010 12:47 PM PDT

I know you don't have it listed and if Text to speech is not a deal breaker you should seriously check out the Nook.

I was all set on buying a kindle until my wife came home with the Nook. Let me tell you it is just head and shoulders above. The kindle feels very archiac with that little stubby joystick ot navigate.

The Nook has a color touch screen navigation that displays your book cover art, finger swiping.
It supports e-Pub meaning you can buy books from pretty much anywhere and are not locked in to Amazon's DRM world.

it's a much pretty looking e-reader, lots of extras such as read in store, lend me. Free Fridays, Nook only coupons, Nook only freebies at the StarBuck's Cafe etc.

Trust me as one who was this close to buying a Kindle, take check out the Nook. It's just the better e-reader.

Unless of course you do need the text to speech.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.