PC Hardware forum

Question

Need Help With Bios Update

by Eyrl / March 16, 2013 2:54 PM PDT

So, I'm needing to update my bios for my new cpu (AMD FX 8350 4.0 Ghz) to be able to run fully. The problem is, When i go to the website to download an update, I just get a .cap file. I've tried updating it with that file but EZ Flash says no. So i was on the look out for a .cap to .rom converter, turns out that is what i needed and they gave a list to all of their converters but none was for my model of MOBO (which is a M5A99X EVO R2.0) Please help with this, I've been at it for at least 4 hours and i have had no luck with any other forums. Thank you in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help With Bios Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help With Bios Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Link please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 4:01 PM PDT

I rarely help with such but if you give a link to your board I'll look. These sort of updates are treacherous so I rarely write how to do them. I must defer to the maker. I will quote the maker's instructions but in this case, please supply a link so I can check it out and see if there is more.
Bob

Collapse -
Motherboard link
by Eyrl / March 16, 2013 6:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Link please.

Thanks! here is a link to my mobo
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A99X_EVO_R20/

I really hope i figure this out soon, I've been searching all day. I updated a motherboard 2 or 3 years ago and there was none of this ".cap file" stuff. Also, I'm running windows 64 bit, that probably doesn't make a difference though.

Collapse -
Did you use their "BIOS Renamer" utility?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard link

Under BIOS Tools I found at that link is a tool that reads:
"Bios Renamer for USB BIOS Flashback
1.Put Bios file and Bios renamer in same folder
2.Execute the Utility
3.Use new Bios file for USB BIOS Flashback."

Collapse -
Thank you!
by Eyrl / March 17, 2013 2:06 AM PDT

Thanks! i think i found it! do i just create a new folder, But the file and the renamer in it, then transfer the folder to my flash drive? Do i take the renamer out of the folder after i execute it? Again, Thank you! i think we're on to something here! I was confused because on the flash back tutorial they have, they didn't give me a link for my specific motherboard.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!

But I usually leave everything in place until I get the job done.

Remember I can't help anyone do anything not documented and I hope you are not offended about that.

Hope there tool fixed it up and you can move forward.
Bob

Collapse -
Another thing...
by Eyrl / March 17, 2013 2:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sorry. I don't know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Another thing...

After decades of seeing poor documentation I've grown a little accustomed to the lack of clarity. Right or wrong part of this has to do with how competitive the market is. It's all about price so for the price?
Bob

Collapse -
The manual
by bob b / March 17, 2013 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Another thing...

If you look in your manual they explain how to use the flash back feature.
They tell you what to rename the file to.

It looks like.
Download the bios file.....zipped.
Unzip the file.
Rename the file.
Copy the file to a usb stick.....note the restrictions about fat and partitions.
Insert the usb stick in the proper port.
Push the button.

Collapse -
Flashback button?
by Eyrl / March 17, 2013 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: The manual

This is probably a stupid question, But where exactly is the flashback button? On a video they have, it shows it's on a the back plate, but i cannot find it.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=12d3a42412&view=att&th=13d7a5796e5fdd18&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P84eUp1_OLIZOTqDmvpUP_k&sadet=1363557372765&sads=dk4vCVabzySMoQoVGafJMS0RXj4&sadssc=1

Collapse -
Dead link. Try photobucket.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Flashback button?

And some folk that build their own don't install such things.

Collapse -
Sorry!
by Eyrl / March 17, 2013 9:28 AM PDT

Sorry about that, i usually do use photobucket, But i forgot my acount info and such, Anyway what do you mean? I have the flash back usb port, and there doesn't even seem to be a place for the button in the back panel. I've also tried using EZ flash but no dice. (sigh)

Here's a working link:
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o750/Eyrl/photo_zpsa7054380.jpg

Collapse -
The link to your board shows it elsewhere.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry!
Collapse -
Thanks!
by Eyrl / March 17, 2013 10:01 AM PDT

ahhh i didn't see that! So it's inside, i was just going off the other models that supported flashback!

Collapse -
Glad if it helped.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

At they say, a second pair or eyes and hands can really make little jobs go much smoother.

Now get out of my kitchen. Cool
Bob

Collapse -
Light Stable?
by Eyrl / March 17, 2013 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Glad if it helped.

So i opened up the case to press down the Flashback button, But the light blinks off and on (green) and then turns stable after two or three blinks, Anything i'm doing wrong? i don't have the file in a folder on my drive and i don't have any other files on it. What am i doing wrong?

Collapse -
Another Question
by Eyrl / March 17, 2013 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Glad if it helped.

Another thing, I'm going from revision number 04xx (can't remember the full number at the moment.) to 1503. Does skipping all the other updates affect anything?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
About bios versions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 12:15 PM PDT

That question is one that has been asked many times. While it's good to ask, be sure we are not repeating what thousands have asked before.

So, my answer is -> Install any version you want. It does not matter.
Bob

Collapse -
Light?
by Eyrl / March 18, 2013 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: About bios versions.

About about the light turning stable after only 2 or 3 flashes? I've tried everything, Even formatting it again to FAT32. I've also tried doing it with a different update, I really wish i could save $15 and not have to buy another bios chip, Then have to pay someone to put it in (because i have no idea how to) but that is looking like the route i'm forced to take.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Light?

But I don't own this model. My replies are using what I've learned over the years and decoding too many incomplete pages of information.

I've never had to buy a BIOS chip in 2 decades so that would be a first.

About the only thing I can add about USB updates is that we should always have a 1 or 2GB stick laying around for such work.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank You
by Eyrl / March 19, 2013 2:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

Even if i don't get this working, Thank you, You have been a huge help. I really do hope i get this working soon. Maybe i'll contact customer support sometime this week. Again, Thank you very much for your time. These forums are such a help in times like these.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.