Desktops forum

General discussion

Need help with a new gaming desktop selection

by galindenba / April 26, 2010 12:43 AM PDT

My venerable old Dell XPS Gen 3 gaming rig at my secondary residence finally gave up the ghost. I was looking for a replacement. I have had problems in the past with 2 gaming machines that I had bought for my son....namely a Dell and then an Alienware that were DOA right out of the box with much subsequent difficulty getting customer service to rectify the situation(s). I have a Velocity Micro at my primary residence which I paid a fortune for and this one never performed close to what was advertised and was very unstable until I upgraded it to Windows 7.
So being a little gun shy about those 3 companies I decided to try HP. I ordered a HPE-180e with a 3.33ghz i7 processor, 12 MB ram, a 1 TB HD, and a very high end ATI graphics card. Well my steak continues as this thing was a hog right out of the box, could not connect to the internet wirelessly at all, and the sound card made honking noises every time I played a game. Now I was on the phone with the idiots from HP all day yesterday who can't fix it. They are all telling me I can return it for a full refund. I've been calling them back and no one at HP seems to know how to make this happen.
Anyway, they will refund me even if I have to get Amex involved, but in the meantime I still need a new gaming rig. I need stable and I need reasonable/good performance for non-on-line gaming. So I need suggestions...please???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with a new gaming desktop selection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with a new gaming desktop selection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2010 1:25 AM PDT

Gamer machines are still tending to be finicky machines. After decades of watching all this and helping friends and more, the goal of a stable gamer machine looks to be a lost cause.

However I've taken simple machines and popped in better graphics cards and all is fine. But then again I might have the advantage of be an electronics designer, writing code from before the days of the GE 210 and now writing Windows Mobile apps.

I wonder how average Joe is supposed to get a gamer machine. Maybe a Xbox 360 or PS3 is the best solution?

About the wifi. I've lost count how many times I've fixed such. All I can comment on there is the way we got wifi means that there is no standard and it is not consumer friendly. If we could do it all over again one of the rules to market would be "it should just work."

Collapse -
My blazing OLD game machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2010 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly.

It's a simple machine. I found a nice enough HP d4999t and to keep things quiet I installed a Zotac Nvidia GT 240 1GB video card which is fanless. This runs some Intel quad core, 4GB RAM and Windows 7 Pro. What was interesting was its speed was below par too at first.

Later I found out by chance when CDBURNERXP didn't work on it (it emitted an error message) that with a little google gave me the clue to install some Intel storage manager item. Now it's very nice. I don't expect makers to do this for us today. We are pretty much on our own but with super tools like search engines to figure it out.

I know many think that it shouldn't be that way. For those I kindly and without any offense intended ask them to go try an Apple.

Collapse -
buying a "Gaming PC" depends
by Brechan / April 26, 2010 2:08 AM PDT

alot on what you want specifically, and what your budget is. If you're tired of the 'out-of-the-box' types of rigs, then there are scours of manufacturers out there that only build 'gaming PC's'. When I googled 'buy a gaming pc' this is just a few of the hits I came up with:

Collapse -
by galindenba / April 26, 2010 3:04 AM PDT

Of the 4 PC's I have mentioned all were custom designed and ordered from each manufacturers respective website and not store bought or out of the box. At the time I ordered the Velocity and the Alienware machines they were primarily only doing high end gaming rigs. As I said the Alienware was DOA and they gave us such a hard time about a return that I would never do business with them again. The Velocity did "work" as did the "HP" I'm sending back now, but they ran at nowhere near the promised blazing speed that I think I have the right to expect from machines that cost so much money. The Velocity was pretty terrible until I upgraded to Windows 7. For the high price paid, I want quality, speed, performance and reliability. It's like a car. If I buy and pay for a BMW then I have a right to expect not not to drive like a Chevy. My primary question...still not answered is this: What BRAND of gaming PC do the people on this thread have and/or recommend?

Collapse -
For most people here
by Brechan / April 26, 2010 3:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
gaming desktop?
by nofret / May 5, 2010 4:27 PM PDT

Check out the hp 190t, with the six core gullftown cpu!

Collapse -
HP 190
by galindenba / May 6, 2010 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: gaming desktop?

I just got an HP and it was dead right out of the box. Took me 6 phone sessions with their tech support morons just to convince them it was defective. Then 4 more calls just to get them to take the thing back. That's why I posted on this forum to begin with.
HP again?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.