TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Need Help with a 2.1 Speaker Solution

by aari5cnet / June 7, 2013 4:30 AM PDT

I currently have a TV (digital and analog audio output), Fios cable box, and a 3rd gen Apple TV. They used to be connected to an old Sony DAV-X1 (HTIB), which did a fairly good job, but which I can no longer use. Given that the TV speakers are awful, I am trying to find a good speaker alternative. I'm on a very tight budget (under $250) and have limited physical space (so probably no AV receiver), but would like as good quality sound as possible because I listen to a lot of music from the ATV. I also need some way to control the volume by remote, because I don't want to have to get up each time I have to change the volume and the only way I can use external speakers with this TV is by turning the TV's volume all the way down. Lastly, a soundbar is not ideal because of limited space and sound quality for music generally isn't great.

Any suggestions for a reasonably-priced 2.1 (or even 2.0) solution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help with a 2.1 Speaker Solution
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help with a 2.1 Speaker Solution
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Remote probably not going to happen
by Pepe7 / June 7, 2013 4:51 AM PDT

Along with that limitation, both budget and space constraints seem to be problematic in your case. I was going to suggest a very simple refurb HTIB. Airplay speakers are also on the expensive side, and generally aren't anything impressive/can't be separated physically (like a sound bar is fixed per se). Hmmmm.

OTOH, how about the audioengine A2?

http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Premium-Powered-Desktop-Speakers/dp/B000VKEFN2

Not certain though if input 'B' on the A2 would permit you to connect via 3.5mm output from your other devices.

I wonder if the D1 would be an additional solution, or something similar-
http://audioengineusa.com/Store/audioengine-d1-tech

Will have to graph this out and think about it in a little more detail. Is there *any* way you can fit in a very compact HTIB rig(?) Would make things much easier, especially feature wise.

<div>

</div>

Collapse -
Maybe
by aari5cnet / June 7, 2013 6:20 AM PDT

Thanks. I had looked at the audioengine A2. I could run the ATV and cable through the TV and then have a single output to the A2, but I'll still have the volume/remote problem.

As for the HTIB, I could fit it if it is small. I have some space, just not a lot.

Collapse -
my samsung tv has dts 2.0+Digital Out but no audio output
by singhprashant99 / July 7, 2013 1:41 AM PDT

i need to connect my 2.1 speaker system to my tv to bypass audio only.. but my tv has only headphone jack interface available for audio output.. how can i connect my tv to the speakers?

Collapse -
Please make a new post with all details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2013 1:45 AM PDT

I see you jumped into aari5cnet's discussion but didn't supply details about your make and models.

I could guess you need an amplifier but post a new post with the full make and models.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
You could also simply....
by Pepe7 / June 7, 2013 5:05 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.