Windows 7 forum

General discussion

need help win7 install loop

by sledgehkg / February 4, 2013 9:21 PM PST

I am trying to install windows 7 64bit on my compaq presario a900 laptop.
It originally had vista home basic running.
I removed the hard drive, plugged it into another computer where I made the whole drive 'unallocated space'. I've then formatted it as NTFS.
so, basically we are looking at a completely clean hard drive.
I return the hard drive to my laptop.
I then boot from DVD and start the windows installation process.
the screen tells me 'windows is loading files.'
I then get the windows animated logo come floating in.
the logo 'pulses' for a while (as is normal), then the screen goes black with a white mouse pointer.
At this point the whole system reboots and the process starts again.
Endless loop!

I've just tried installing Windows 8 as well.
Same loop.
I get to this install stage where the balls are looping and then the system restarts.
The next stage should be where it asks about keyboard, language, country etc and then which hard drive you want to install to.
Doesn't happen. Just reboots into the loop again.

also set the bios back to default.
I did forget to mention that in the past I have had Windows 7 64bit running on it, I just wanted to go for a completely clean install.

Windows 7 32bit doing exactly the same.

run a hard drive test and a ram test in bios. All clear.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help win7 install loop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help win7 install loop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The only tip I can give.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 10:13 PM PST

Don't format on another machine. Just unallocate everything (so the disk is empty) and let the installer make a new partition and format it. Might make a difference.

If not, it is some hardware issue. Then it might be best to use the Compaq recovery media to go back to Vista, or your backup 'image' (Clonezilla, Ghost, Acronis, whatever you used) to go back to your full backup before you started this.

I take it for granted that the DVD's you use are undamaged original Microsoft disks.

Collapse -
by sledgehkg / February 4, 2013 10:46 PM PST

Thanks for reply.
Unfortunately I have no backup image or the backup disk from compaq.
As I say, I installed windows7 on it about a year ago, without any problems.
The keyboard was starting to act up a bit before I tried to do this fresh install. (left shift button would not capitalize 'c'. Had to caps lock on and off to get a capital c.)
Possibly a faulty keyboard could be causing windows to fail installation?

Collapse -
Hardware issues?
by mchainmchain / February 5, 2013 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: reply

I've had many an operating system fail to properly initialize to to some faulty hardware or other and not fully boot.

I'd try an external usb keyboard and turn off the onboard one and see if that makes a difference. Could be that the key that does not work is stuck on and the os cannot get past it.

If that is the case, looking at a keyboard replacement or unsticking the stuck key.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.