Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Need Help Why do all web pages close after clicking X ?

by curt07 / November 17, 2008 6:36 AM PST

Hello, I have windows vista home preimium. When I used to have more than one page open at a time down on the systen tray I could close the web page I have open by clicking the X and just that one page would close.!! And the other pages would stay open so I could go from there.
NOW WHEN I CLICK THE X on 1 web page all of the web pages I have open close and the computer goes back to the desktop. I then have to re-sign back in and start from there to go back to where I was befor.

I don't know what to do to fix this problem? I mean everything shuts down, even my 2 IM windows that I keep open so I can see when someone comes online to IM. I have to sign back in on everything. ITS DRIVING ME NUTS why is my computer doing this now and it never did this befor?
Tell me what to do one step at a time because I'm abit old shcool. LOL I hope some people know what to do?? Thanks alot.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help Why do all web pages close after clicking X ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help Why do all web pages close after clicking X ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I CKED internet options and internet settings are ok
by curt07 / November 17, 2008 7:27 AM PST

I forgot to say befor last saturday when I would click on the X on any 1 window just that one winmdow would close and every other web page would stay open.!! I was just using all the Vista web protections. So I thought I better downloada anti virus. SO I downloaded from cnet downloads Avast home edition 4.8 and everything downloaded ok and I did a few scans and found no problems and window defender did not find any problems either.
I read and watched the video about the Avast 4.8 anti-virus and cnet said it was a good program. So do you think my web pages and IM are closing because of this avast 4.8 edtion from cnet downloads??
Any help would be nice to get. thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) So You've Tried Uninstalling Avast To See If It Fixes It?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 17, 2008 12:59 PM PST
Collapse -
Tabs
by medezark / November 19, 2008 8:37 AM PST

The new version of internet explorer included with Windows Vista is a tabbed interface. Instead of opening each web page in a seperate instance of IE, it opens new web pages in tabs.

If you want to just close one web page, right click on the web pages name in the tabs under the toolbar, and select CLOSE TAB, or click on the small X on that particular web pages tab.

Collapse -
Need Help Why do all web pages close after clicking X ?
by jlunasm / March 11, 2009 3:06 AM PDT

I have the exact same problem with my computer!! The tabs are not the problem.. I can close tabs within a window left and right but when I close ONE window the rest of my windows close up. It's very annoying!! If you found the answer to solve this problem please let me know! Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.