Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Need help w/ Zi8 movie file encoding & editin

by bizarrotm / October 16, 2009 6:17 AM PDT

Just got the Zi8 camera which is great and all, but the 'editing' software that ships with it is too basic. The files save to the camera as .mov.

The problem is, I have a PC, and so imovie's not an option which is probably the easiest to use w/ that file format.

I'm looking for some resource or advice on how to edit these files and string them together. I have downloaded DivX and windows movie maker live, but I can't figure out how to change the encoding using DivX (I was led to believe mm could do it automatically if I had DivX on my machine, but can't figure out how to connect them.

Awesome camera has now resulted in nothing but hours of frustration as I'm not an engineer by trade. Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help w/ Zi8 movie file encoding & editin
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help w/ Zi8 movie file encoding & editin
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No tutorial but I do use SUPER VIDEO CONVERTER to do most.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2009 12:28 PM PDT

Sorry, but I don't own that model. I do use SUPER VIDEO CONVERTER (see google) to convert almost anything to anything. If you are asked to pay or find watermarks you didn't get SUPER.

As to what to do next that's your choice but conversion can be done.

Collapse -
by lordsmurf / November 6, 2009 2:30 AM PST

That camera may use FLV, H264 or MJPEG for its actual encoding.
If you have Windows, put the file into GSpot and see what it needs.

Collapse -
Help with Zi8 Editing
by turbinespaul / December 6, 2009 7:57 AM PST

If you want to retain high quality clips use the 720P 60 fps recording mode. The 1080P mode is at 30 fps and doesn't cut it. I import the cameras MOV files directly into Premiere using the following custom preset:

Editing Mode: Desktop
Timebase: 59.94 frames/second
Frame Size: 1280 x 720 16:9
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)
Fileds: No Fields (Progressive Scan)
Display Format: 60 fps Non Drop-Frame Timecode
Title Safe Area: 0%
Action Safe Area: 0%

Sample Rate: 48000Hz
Display Format: Audio Samples

I export the edited clips as MPED2-DVD, NTSC Progressive Widescreen High Quality. I have been very happy with the results

I had great difficulty finding help with this too and so I hope this helps you out.

Win7 32 bit, Q6600, 3.5 GB RAM

Collapse -
Zi8 1080p to Premiere - Another Solution that may help
by matrixation / December 17, 2009 6:05 PM PST after many hours of testing, a method that I have found, with really great results, for editing Zi8 1080p MOV files in Adobe Premiere so that they render out to the same 1080p resolution and retain the high detail, is to first convert them to MPEG in Total Video Converter version 3.14 (later version may differ but should be same settings). Some of you may think that going from h.264 to Mpeg will make the end render look pixilated but actually, it comes out with no noticeable difference. So, here is what to do:

1) Open Total Video Converter. When you drop the file in the window to be converted, select MPEG > Mpeg2

2) When you return to the previous screen, select 'Mpeg2 video high quality' from the drop down menu and click the Settings link and adjust the following settings, if necessary, on the following tabs:

Audio Options
> Audio Channel - Auto
> Audio Codec - AC3
> Sampling Rate - 48000
> Bit Rate 448
> Volume - Do NOT select

Video Options
> Video Codec - mpeg2video
> Frame Rate - Custom - 29.970029
> Bit Rate - Custom - 6000
> Activate HQ Settings - Do NOT check
> Advanced - Do NOT check

Video Resize
> Reseize - 1920x1080
> Aspect - 16:9

3) At this point, I would suggest to select ?Save As? to save this setting configuration and name it 1080p just for convenience.

4) Start the render ? this can take a while but this is dependant on the speed of your CPU. The good thing is that the file size is 93% of the original file.

Now, you will have a file that can be used in Premiere. Open Premiere, import and edit. Export it with the following parameters:

Format: MPEG2
Preset: HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality (or HDTV 720p 29.97 High Quality for smaller files)

Seems too easy?well, yea it is. Unless you are a guru at Premiere, this is enough. If anyone has a better/faster way to convert the initial MOV files to AVI or MPEG please post it her on Cnet.

Collapse -
Finally figured it out
by matrixation / December 17, 2009 9:04 PM PST

So, I found that the Xilisoft HD Video Converter is the best for converting the Zi8 MOV file to HD H.264/MPEG-4 (<--this is the actual conversion setting, written as such) in full 1080p. The file is slightly bigger than the original MOV but not by much, which is fine...the solution I had before works but it took long for converting from MOV to MPEG with Total Video Converter.

This method (Xilisoft to h.264/MP4 to Premiere)is thus far, the best choice to convert from MOV to MP4 (which is what you want for Premiere). So, for $31.95 (trust's worth the money), the Xilisoft HD Converter will be a life saver. It works great by rendering multiple MOV files at once when using a Quad Core.

After it's done rendering from MOV to h.264/MP4, it can be completely manipulated easily in Premiere...finally! And in 1080p. Use the same settings in Premiere as I mentioned in my last post.

Remember, this post is a response to find a solution for editing MOV files from the Zi8 in Premiere without the choppy playback and issues as everyone has found. So, if anyone out there has a better solution than mine...please post it.

I hope this helps!

Collapse -
by jimdevo2000 / May 1, 2010 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Finally figured it out
This program is absolutely free, although the paid version will allow you to do more such as covert files for your phone,ipod,zune,etc. It has no spyware,viruses, or anything like that. Works awesome. The free version does do the important things like converting mov into AVI, Mpeg ll, etc. And does it in batches and FAST!! Then I easily load into Vegas 8 or Windows Movie Maker for editing. DONE. Things are alot easier with the fantastic Kodak Zi8 now that I have this free program. Now I can literally take it anywhere knowing I can easily put the video on my computer for editing should I need to. But I really like the instant youtube upload feature. Even though it took 30 minutes for 17 seconds of 1080p HD video to upload. Maybe when I start uploading longer videos in 1080p full HD I will start the upload before I go to bed and in the morning WALLA! Uploaded video! And in full HD!
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.