Linux forum

General discussion

Need Help Upgrading RAID5 Array With Larger Drives

by djsting / February 14, 2011 9:51 PM PST

I have a CentOS 5 based Linux system with a 3Ware 9550SU RAID card and four 500GB drives set up in a RAID5 array.

I want to 'replace' these drives with four 2TB drives without data loss. My server case has a total of 8 drive bays all hot-swap and all attached to the RAID card, this means I have four empty drive bays on the RAID card.

One thought is to put the four new 2TB drives in the empty drive bays, configure them in a new RAID5 array. Then the question is now to I "mirror" the original RAID5 array over to the new one?

This is just a thought though, I am not sure it will work. In short my question to this forum is how do I accomplish this upgrade?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help Upgrading RAID5 Array With Larger Drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help Upgrading RAID5 Array With Larger Drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by chamaecyparis / March 2, 2011 7:36 AM PST

Why not go RAID 10 (1+0) then eliminate the smaller drives after making sure all is on the larger (sort of a double-redundancy)?
You may find you want to keep it in 1+0!

Collapse -
Does not utilize full size of new larger drives?
by djsting / March 2, 2011 10:09 AM PST
In reply to: RAID 10

It is my understanding that the mirrored RAID would only utilize 500MB of the new 2TB drives thus not gaining me the additional space once the mirroring of data is complete. An I missing something?

Collapse -
In my Opinion
by R_Head / March 22, 2011 10:06 AM PDT

RAID Arrays was a good idea when the drives were pretty small. Now days a single Hard Drive is pretty cavernous. So I think, there is no much need to make them unless you want to make One gigantic drive. If that is going to be partitioned, it defeat the purpose.

What I am getting is, the way the RAID works or you get a increase of speed writing or reading or a redundancy but you can not get all of benefits at once. If one disk fail you can loose all your data if you are not backing up.

When I was a system admin way back in the days, we used a RAID Arrays, the drives were pretty small, 80 GBs or so. But for a disk with a Tera and above we got away with a single disk and tape back ups.

Might not answer the Poster's issue but just suggesting another approach.
For a home server without a back up, a RAID is suicidal.
With individual disks one goes bad, that is the only loss.

Collapse -
RAID 1+0 two arrays to one
by chamaecyparis / March 24, 2011 4:04 AM PDT

after all 8 hdd in two arrays are set up. cannot one copy the 500 giggers to the 1T setup, then disconnect the smaller drives?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.