Tablets forum

General discussion

Need help selecting a tablet

by rrock--2008 / April 27, 2013 11:38 AM PDT

I'm in the process of updating my iPad 1 with something newer; possible an android tablet.

I just received my new Kindle Fire 8.9 HD today BUT am returning it unopened ASAP. Made the mistake of reading the reviews after I placed my order. As much as I didn't want to spend the money on an iPad 4, it looks like I'll have to spend nearly as much for an Android such as the Google Nexus 10 or Asus TF500T. I'm so confused!!! One has 2 GB of ram vs. 1, another has expandable card memory vs. none, and there's a number of processors available...duel core vs. quad core etc, etc. My iPad just recently started hanging up/shutting off unannounced so I'm not looking to repeat that experience again. I read where that's common with both the Androids as well as some iPad 4s.

I'm retired, don't play games, seldom read ebooks, and am definitely not a power user. What I do is surf the net, check my email, read my Facebook account from time to time, listen to iTunes, watch/listen to YouTube, verify/research facts, and occasionally watch a movie on Netflix. Now I've read a lot of reviews and since they often conflict with one another, I still don't know what to buy!

Can someone help?

So, if I'm looking for something more utilitarian than the Kindle Fire 8.9 HD, is there a reliable Android tablet out there that doesn't cost over $500?? Should I bite the bullet and wait for the iPad 5 to come out, get my $700-$800 out, and pretend to be somewhere else when I pay for it??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help selecting a tablet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help selecting a tablet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The office is doing some work on Android.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 11:51 AM PDT

I have the Nexut 7 and a tf300 with dock handy. The GB of RAM is rarely an issue for most. Some don't like the Nexus because of no card slot, and the tf300 with the dock gets an very long battery time (over 14 hours?) so the thing you have to consider is YouTube is very different from an Apple/Windows laptop experience. I'll keep it short. Not everything is shown in the YouTube app. Yes you can find and install some apps to help but I find more and more folk just want to use the thing.

Why not a laptop?
Bob

Collapse -
Apologize for more questions
by rrock--2008 / April 27, 2013 2:41 PM PDT

Thanks for your speedy reply Happy

I'm afraid that a good laptop would put me way over my spending limit. I already have a desktop computer so the tablet was more of a convenience. Might a netbook be a good option?

The TF700 sounds like a possibility. Unfortunately, if you add the keyboard, it becomes quite expensive. I'd be more interested in the tablet alone. Also, since I had a stroke my left hand shakes badly. I can no longer touch type like I did during my teaching days (I was a school teacher before I retired). I'm now a courageous, one-finger typist. LOL As long as the tablet keyboard is responsive, an optional keyboard might be an unnecessary expense.

You didn't mention much about the Google Nexus 10. How does it compare to the TF700?

Since I enjoy listening to music, tablet sound quality (speakers) are also important to me. How do the two tablets compare in that respect? This was one of the reasons I was initially drawn to the Kindle Fire 8.9 HD. I use the headphones but after a while they hurt my ears.

Finally, I'm not clear on your reference to YouTube. I didn't mean to judge a tablet based upon how many YouTube apps were available for it. I also don't use it for tablet app evaluations; just listening to music or watching the occasional video clip.

Again, thanks for helping me!

Collapse -
The Nexus 10 starts at 399.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 3:08 PM PDT

And we spent that much on the transformer and dock. The office picked up a Windows 8 laptop Asus K55N for 380 so I can't tell what the tablet attraction is here.

OK, at home we have a Kindle Fire HD 7 as well and it does great at playing HD on the big screen and the sound is really good.

My comment about YouTube is that it's not the same as the PC. Google has moved to monetize the tablet experience and you might not see some content on the phone or tablets. Some folk get really upset over that.

Sorry but as the Nexus 7 is about the same, I thought it was close enough.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.