Computer Help forum

Question

Need Help Please with my Samsung RV510

by Sterianos / January 23, 2012 1:54 PM PST

Hi All

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help Please with my Samsung RV510
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help Please with my Samsung RV510
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 2:28 PM PST

This sounds like the classic failed hard drive. But I can't tell from the story so far.

Collapse -
Re: Samsung RV510
by Sterianos / January 24, 2012 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: Tell a little more.

Thanks for your reply R. Proffitt.
1. I put the Samsung Recovery disc in the Samsung RV510 cd rom and boot the computer up.
2. On then screen then it says 'Windows is loading files."
3. Then it says on the screen; "Starting Windows."
4. Then a window comes ups which gives you three options;
1. "Install Windows"
2. "What to know before installing windows"
3. "Repair your computer"

Collapse -
" I thought the Recovery disc would have the Window 7 Drives
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2012 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Samsung RV510

"I thought the Recovery disc would have the Window 7 Drives on them."

Sorry no. While the Recovery disc would have "drivers" it does not contain "Drives".

The messages so far point to a failed Hard Disk Drive. If the machine has an access panel (Uh, it is out of warranty?) then I would unplug the charger, remove the battery and then open the drive access panel to remove the hard drive then slip the hard drive back in (firmly.) Then apply the cover, the battery and then the charger.

Retest to see if the hard disk drive shows up.

If the hard drive shows in the BIOS but not in the Windows Recovery, there is a long shot where the owner had installed Linux. But that's not in your story.
Bob

Collapse -
Although it does appear to be ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 24, 2012 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Samsung RV510

a possibly bad hard drive try the following:

Go to http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00000226&fm_seq=394 and scroll about half way down the page and CAREFULLY READ the various recovery options using the laptop's recovery partition which can be accessed by tapping the F4 key when the Samsung logo first appears when booting (print out a copy if necessary).

Next go to http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00000224&fm_seq=392 and scroll down about half way and again CAREFULLY READ the various recovery options. They are very similar but each link applies to a different version of the backup and restore software Samsung provides. Choose the one that applies to your own computer.

Now, you are asking about " completely deleted(formatted)" in regard to the hard drive of your system and if you have done that and eradicated the recovery partition this will of course not work. If you haven't, it should work unless the hard drive has actually failed.

Collapse -
I have no C and D Drive
by Sterianos / January 25, 2012 1:16 AM PST

Thanks for the information.
I never ever created a system image for our Samsung RV510.
I think the reason I can't install window 7 operating system from our Samsung Recover disc is because our physical hard drive isn't partition into Drive C and Drive D?
How do you format and partition the physical hard drive on a Samsung RV510?
Regards John

Collapse -
Sorry but ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2012 6:52 AM PST

I never had to partition any drive prior to using Samsung's Windows 7 recovery DVDs. The error points to a drive that is not there. It's either dead, gone, or unplugged.

Now there is a story about this when someone installed Linux, but that is not in this discussion.
Bob

Collapse -
An External Hard Drive?
by Sterianos / January 25, 2012 1:17 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry but ...

Thanks for all the help! Much appreciated!
I only got one Samsung Window 7 Recover Dvd with the Samsung Rv510 computer? Should I have got more than one Recovery Dvd with the Samsung RV510 computer?
Can I buy a cheap external hard drive which has Drive C and Drive D on it, plug it into the Samsung Rv510 hard drive socket and re-install window 7 operating system onto the exteranl hard drive?

Collapse -
Are these Signs of a Physically Damaged Hard Drive?
by Sterianos / January 26, 2012 1:57 AM PST

I remember before I even took our Samsung RV510 apart that my computers anti virus was running slow and the computer was taking forever to defrag the hard drive? Are these signs of a physically damaged hard drive?
I am going to get an I.T person to look at the computer.

Collapse -
There are far too many reasons for "slow."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2012 2:16 AM PST

Without seeing the machine I've done as best I can. It sounds like a failed HDD. All errors point to that,

Collapse -
Did you try ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 26, 2012 9:56 AM PST

using the F4 key as I indicated to see what happened? If not you should have as we are trying to see JUST WHERE your problem lies. Had it worked your problem would be over and Windows re-installed. Failing to work would have given us other clues with which to work. Whether you created a system image or not is immaterial as SAMSUNG put one on the system in a hidden partition that the F4 key at the proper time indicated in thos links will bring up as long as the hard drive is not totally wiped including the partitions or is actually damaged.

If damaged then you REPLACE the hard drive, run the recovery DVD and are up and running just by following the recovery process prompts.

Given this statement in your ORIGINAL POST - "I took my Samsung RV510 apart and wiped off the window 7 operating system.When
I put in my 'Samsung System Recovery Media' CD that came with the
computer to try and reinstall Windows 7 Home basic operating system when
it comes to the part to load thedrives, it says to me it can't find the drives. What is the problem?"
- I am going to ask EXACTLY what you mean by I took my Samsung RV510 apart and wiped off the window 7 operating system.

If you mean you opened the case and did ANYTHING you might want to open the case again and ensure that the hard drive is still connected with no bent pins or loose connections. Firmly re-seat the hard drive and close things up then see if the drive is shown in the BIOS. If it is try the recovery again but if it isn't just replace the drive or take it to a shop for repair.

Collapse -
Computer is Fixed
by Sterianos / January 27, 2012 9:32 PM PST
In reply to: Did you try ...

My hard drive was physically damaged. I changed the hard drive and now windows operating system is loading onto the computer.
Thanks for the Help! You guys turned on the light bulb for me.

Collapse -
Answer
Im hoping that you can help me John
by minkynink / May 8, 2012 8:57 AM PDT

Hi John ,

Ive read your post tonight and am hoping you will be able to help me .

i have the exact same laptop as you .RV510 windows7 home premium

I went to use my Samsung System Recovery Media CD and it is ruined beyond help .

Would you be able to make me an iso copy of your blue disk please .

I am desperate to get hold of one .

Thanks

Collapse -
Recovery Disc
by Sterianos / May 8, 2012 3:58 PM PDT

Hi Minkynink

Where are you located? I am in Cape Town, South Africa.

Regards John

Collapse -
hi
by minkynink / May 8, 2012 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Recovery Disc

Lol . Im in Cornwall in the UK . So can't just pop round .

Collapse -
Samsung does have support offices in UK
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2012 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: hi

Time to call to get new recovery media.

Tip? Next time duplicate those for the rainy day.

Collapse -
Samsung RV510 System Recovery Media CD
by mervynle / August 5, 2012 5:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Recovery Disc

Hi John,

I am from East London... and I hope you can help me out.
I also am in need of an ISO copy of a RV510 recovery disk... mine was cracked a while ago.
Please let me know as I would really appreciate it.
Kind regards and thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.