TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

need help on receiver ideas/way to power multiple zones

by brodeur78 / December 11, 2012 12:22 AM PST

Apologize for being super amateur at this...here is what I'd like to do:

I would like to run a 2 zone receiver where I can watch TV/etc in one zone and the second zone will be outdoor speakers (thinking 9 or 10 speakers). Thinking polk atrium 5 for outside (they will be all around the house, maybe 5 around the pool and 5 in other areas). The interior will just be something like a 5 speaker surround system (polk I'm guessing)....

for the receiver, I am thinking the Denon AVR-3313CI....

I think I set the outdoor speakers up to Zone 2 but I'm guessing I need both another amp and a speaker selector for the outdoor speakers?...I would like to be able to turn on/off outdoor zones so I think i need the speaker selector...I also dont think the Denon can power all the outdoor speakers on zone 2 as well?...Im guessing a basic amp for outdoor plugged into the zone 2 of the Denon?

I really appreciate any help/thoughts/ideas on all of this...

also...on the outdoor speakers, how do you set zone 2 to be "stereo" to all speakers? I dont think I will have "left" and "right" speakers outside??...

I have a basic idea of items needed but it is hard to conceptualize how this will work...

thanks so much for any help...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help on receiver ideas/way to power multiple zones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help on receiver ideas/way to power multiple zones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you look in the manual? ;)
by Pepe7 / December 11, 2012 3:07 AM PST

It's on pp.103-104, referring to the pre-out to a secondary amplifier, like you mentioned. A speaker selector would be connected to the secondary amp, and the respective speaker pairs would be wired to the speaker selector.

AFAIK the outdoor speakers, set up in pairs, would not have any other setting besides stereo. It would be a source playing in stereo through all or simply some of the pairs that you select (or turn off completely). Run through the Denon manual too regarding the limitations of what types of sound may be played back in zone 2.

There are some threads not too far back (month or so) where I gave tips on equipment for the same sort of zone 2/speakers/selector/amp that you are describing here. Click on my user name and scroll back through my prior posts a few pages, etc.

Collapse -
thank you
by brodeur78 / December 11, 2012 5:36 AM PST

thank you -- do you have any ideas on a secondary amp to drive 10 atrium 5's? I'm assuming it doesn't need to be anything special and the speaker selector can be relatively basic as well...just need maybe 3 zones...

Collapse -
See my third paragraph above ;)
by Pepe7 / December 11, 2012 2:32 PM PST
In reply to: thank you

I had posted some specific info/suggestions on this already.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.