PC Hardware

General discussion

Need Help My cd Drive is not showing up anywhere.

by Dan_91 / February 14, 2013 9:08 PM PST

Okay for a while now my cd/dvd drive has not been listed in my computer or showing up when i insert a cd. I have tried going through the registry to delete the files that people say to delete but they aren't listed there either. Does anyone have any ideas what to do?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help My cd Drive is not showing up anywhere.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help My cd Drive is not showing up anywhere.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
With such slim details I can't offer much.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 12:07 AM PST

But look at your PC and see if it shows such in the BIOS. If you want to tell more, please do.

Bob

Collapse -
what details would you need?
by Dan_91 / February 15, 2013 12:14 AM PST

Sorry for the small amount of details im just very confused how it happened. From my memory i had a malware virus and i had to reformat but the comp wouldn't boot from the cd drive and apparently the cd drive was missing like it was still listed in bios but it didn't work, so i had to do it from a external hdd which worked but now my cd drive is still not working the cd-drive it self still functions like opens and closes it just not shown anywhere it shows up in device manager though and i have tried uninstalling the drive and reinstalling but it fails every time.

Collapse -
Start with what's asked when you post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 12:16 AM PST

In case it's not showing for you, I'll add it here.

"Please read before posting

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended."

Collapse -
by Dan_91 / February 15, 2013 5:15 PM PST

Only real system info that could relate to the situation is the operating system which is Windows 7

Collapse -
Then without that much detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 10:34 PM PST
In reply to: reply

Unless you work on your own PC it's best to talk to those that fix it for you. I had hoped to see a make and model and at the very least if this was a laptop or desktop.

Since nothing can be found about this PC I'd arrange for repair.
Bob

Collapse -
Detail.
by Dan_91 / February 16, 2013 10:44 AM PST

Well i do work on my own computer i pretty much put it together myself.
It is a desktop pc with windows 7 OS, System model is GA-MA770-US3, 6gb ram, AMD 3.0ghz quad core.

i was looking through the system again and for some reason it is listing my phones usb cord as the cd-rom

Collapse -
So it's a desktop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2013 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: Detail.

And when troubleshooting you would unplug that phone and reboot. Even a printer is optional.

All the posts seem to tell us the drive does not show in the BIOS so the drive is totally dead or disconnected.
Bob

Collapse -
Drive not showing
by pgc3 / February 15, 2013 12:14 AM PST

And you looked in DEVICE MANAGER???

Collapse -
Drive not showing
by Dan_91 / February 15, 2013 5:13 PM PST
In reply to: Drive not showing

Yes i looked in the device manager and it was there but still wasn't showing in my computer.

Collapse -
Drive etc.
by pgc3 / February 16, 2013 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: Drive not showing

As other posters have cited, you give little information, OS computer type, etc. You said it IS shown in DEVICE MANAGER, does it show an error?? Again, more information might help but I am leaning toward yanking the drive and replacing it but without knowing a bit more about the system and OS I am reluctant to recommend even doing that.

Collapse -
drive
by Dan_91 / February 16, 2013 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: Drive etc.

It is a desktop pc with windows 7 OS, System model is GA-MA770-US3, 6gb ram, AMD 3.0ghz quad core.
And nah when i was looking at it in device manager it had no errors it said it was fully updated, etc.
Im pretty much thinking of just replacing it.

Collapse -
Is your PC a laptop or desktop ???
by VAPCMD / February 15, 2013 11:00 PM PST

If a desktop....the easiest thing might be to simply replace it with an up-to-date CD/DVD burner.

Without specific info re the PC's make, series and model number of your PC...hard to suggest a specific replacement .

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Desktop
by Dan_91 / February 16, 2013 10:47 AM PST

sorry for the lack of info

Collapse -
If under warranty, see if the seller/mfg will repair.
by VAPCMD / February 16, 2013 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: Desktop

Since it's a desktop vice a laptop, it's simplest and easiest to buy another CD/DVD burner and replace it. It's an easy, inexpensive component to replace.

Let us know.

Collapse -
New cd drive
by Dan_91 / February 17, 2013 11:49 AM PST

Just got a new one today and its still not showing up starting to get annoyed at this D:

Collapse -
What shows under DISK MANAGEMENT ?
by VAPCMD / February 17, 2013 12:15 PM PST
In reply to: New cd drive

What about the BIOS...do you see it there ?

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.