TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Need help in finding a three zone receiver

by mjsweeneyjr / April 15, 2007 2:02 AM PDT

I would like to set up a surround sound system (5 speaker) in my family room and also connect 2 speakers in my kitchen and 2 speakers outside. I would like to have the option of playing 3 different things in the family room, kitchen, and outisde. What options are there for me? I have only been able to find 2 zone receivers for the $300 - $600 range. The guys at Best Buy and Circuit City say the only thing that could do this is a $5000 receiver. I find this hard to believe. Is there anything that can do this?

As far as a wattage, I don't need much. I am not going to be raising the roof, just want to here good sound quality.

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help in finding a three zone receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help in finding a three zone receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes and no.
by jostenmeat / April 15, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

Not at the $300-$600 range. Never seen one. However, you will be able to get 3 zones for far less than 5k. TX-SR805 MSRP $999 Est Shipping date mid to late June. Can you wait a couple of months? It looks to be VERY loaded for the price. Found this here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=831063

*Full A/V Processing via HDMI 1.3a with Upconversion (3 in 1 out)
*HDMI Deep Color Capable (36bit)
*Component Video Upconversion and HDTV-Capable (100 MHZ) Video Switching (3 in 1 out)
*WRAT/ Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry/ Non-Scaling Configuration/ A-Form Listening Mode Memory/ RI
*Faroudja DCDi
*Audyssey MultEQ XT Room Acoustics Correction
*7.1 Multichannel Inputs for PCM Delivery of Hi-Def Audio Sources
*DOLBY Decoder - PLIIx, DD, DD-EX, TrueHD
*DTS Decoder - DTS, ES, NEO6, 96/24, HD Master Audio
*THX Ultra2 Certified
*Burr-Brown 192/24-bit DAC on all Channels (TI Architecture (PCM1796))
*S-Video (6 in 1 out)
*Digital Audio IN (OPT/COAX) 3/3; OUT (OPT) 1
*Composite (6 in 1 out)
*Power 130W/Ch
*Powered Zone 2 with Balance Volume and tone control
*Powered Zone 3
*Bi-Amp Capable

For $400 more outside of your budget, you should be future-proofed for a while. Also your Composite, S-Video, Component connections can be converted to HDMI. (Not necessarily upscaled). Do not see details which are upscaled, but I imagine at LEAST the components are, since Faroudja is on board.

Whaddya think?

Collapse -
Why make it so complicated.
by ahtoi / April 15, 2007 4:26 AM PDT

3 separate entertainment centers.

Collapse -
Thats true isnt it?
by jostenmeat / April 15, 2007 5:17 AM PDT

I didnt read original post carefully at all. Oops.

Ya, 2 stereo-integrated-amps, one AV receiver, and 3 cd players will come out to the same price as that Onkyo I mentioned. Also, this will be able to play 3 different things simultaneously. Highly doubt the Onkyo could.

Collapse -
3 zone receiver
by mjsweeneyjr / April 15, 2007 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Thats true isnt it?

I thought about that, but then I could not play the same thing (i.e. music, same music) on all systems. I am sure there must be a way. I don't think I am looking for something extravagant.

Collapse -
should be too hard
by jostenmeat / April 15, 2007 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: 3 zone receiver

Find a player with mulitple audio outputs. Lots of players will send signals to all outputs simultaneously, I believe. Lets say you get a dvd/universal player. Run optical to receiver. Run analog cables, (or digital coax etc), to the other amplifiers. I guess for long runs, you may have to pay quite a bit for the cables. Other solutions may exist. like terminating rg6 cables with rca connectors, though could be ugly if not running thru the wall. Someone else will know better. You say you're not looking for anything extravagant. Hm. $300 to $600? You can find cheap used old stuff on ebay.

Collapse -
(NT) sorry bad title. "Shouldn't" be too hard
by jostenmeat / April 15, 2007 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: should be too hard
Collapse -
Let me throw an idea to you.
by ahtoi / April 15, 2007 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: 3 zone receiver

On a 3 media system; The main system is a transmitter and the kitchen and outside are recievers (use bluetooth or RF). These devices maybe available now although I have not done any research on this.

Collapse -
I'VE NEVER ENCOUNTERED A 3-ZONE A/V/R, THAT DOESN'T MEAN...
by Riverledge / April 15, 2007 9:22 AM PDT

ONE DOESN'T EXIST. Probably costs a pretty penny.

Good luck,
river.

Collapse -
by jonnybones / April 16, 2007 2:35 AM PDT

Option a)spend lots of money
Option b)get a 5.1 w/zone 2 receiver and a speaker selector box (unless it only has zone2 pre-outs, in that case, find a different one
Option c)get 5.1 reciever, then a totally separate stereo receiver with zone 2 or zone 3
Option d)wait for new models
For option C, a denon stereo receiver might be a good choice since it is widely available and some models can do 3 zones. the 5.1 is up to you

Collapse -
Want to play the same music across your whole house?
by bevillan / April 16, 2007 5:54 AM PDT

Check this out:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LKIqgDnhEJ3/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=228550

These Sonos systems are highly rated and according to some reviewing sites are extremely easy to set-up. Also, they say the remote for it is way nice. It is wireless so you can be anywhere in your house to control it. Also, with that system you can choose to have different parts of your house playing at once and also you can play different songs in each zone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.