Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Need help choosing a router (needs certain features)

by crazyapple92 / November 8, 2012 11:16 AM PST

I'm in the market for a new router. Performance isn't my main concern but of course it is a nice bonus. I'm looking at an Asus Black Diamond because the price is reasonable and the performance earns a little bit of drool. But I don't know much about the specific firmware features, or any router for that reason. Trying to find the specifics of the software side is quite a chore, and not really feasible when I'm looking at tons of possibilities.

What I'm really looking for is:

A) White listing - Preferably by URL. I like learning about networking but I don't like it enough to learn about IP tables unless I have no other choice.

B) Individual device bandwidth caps. Or some method to keep devices, and their users, from running rampant. We just had caps introduced on our service. Nearly a decade of unlimited and they throw this at us without warning... Come on Google, give us that ridiculously fast (and free) fiber in north west Arkansas!

DDWRT and openWRT apparently both have some kind of white listing feature but from what little I've heard, it's less than ideal. Gargoyle seems like it would take care of both those needs but it looks clunky and perhaps buggy. It also has a very narrow range of hardware support.

I know there's more custom firmwares that I'm not aware of out there, but I'm not aware of them so...

I'd like to see a router with the default firmware supporting those things. Should be dual band and offer at respectable performance.

Everything else is second to that though network printing and USB (NAS) do seem nice.

Let me come out and say that I'm playing catch up on networking. I've not messed with it in nearly 4 years and I wasn't that savy to begin with. So if It sounds like I'm talking out my bum... well it's probably because I'm talking out my bum.

That being said thanks for any help you guys throw my way!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help choosing a router (needs certain features)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help choosing a router (needs certain features)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I've subscribed to see if you find this router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 11:19 AM PST

To do all that I've seen IT staffers spend weeks setting up a Linux box as a router. I've often seen same IT staffer go bald during that time.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Router caps
by bill012 / November 9, 2012 5:54 AM PST

I don't know of any router that can implement bandwidth caps. Most can only limit the rate data is transfered not the total over a long period of time. This is mostly because where is it going to keep all this utilization data over many days and weeks without a hard drive.

There really is no good router that can do white listing simply. A router that can run OPENDNS helps since you offload part of the filtering to a public server but it is trivial for a experienced users to bypass. The other way to do this is to get a router that can load filter lists into the router but these all tend to be subscription services that cost quite a bit.

The only way to really do this is to put a appliance in the path from say bluecoat or F5. Since I assume you do not have may 10's of thousands to spend your best bet is to build your own using a ubuntu based machine. It is not as hard as it used to be since you can now get prebuilt images with all the firewall/intrusion detection/proxy etc all installed. You pretty much just need to configure it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.