Need firewall for windows ME

by phil66 / June 1, 2006 7:39 AM PDT

But not zone alarm tried it does not play well with this ME system

All suggestions appreciated.
Ray

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need firewall for windows ME
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need firewall for windows ME
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ray, I found nothing I liked better than ZoneAlarm Free
by glenn30 / June 1, 2006 7:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sorry Ray... my mistake!
by glenn30 / June 1, 2006 9:35 AM PDT

I overlooked the 'zone alarm' part of your post. Perhaps Marianna has the solution for you. It could be that current versions are not supporting Win ME. I never had a problem with ZoneAlarm and Win ME but that was some time ago and before the recent versions were released.

Best of luck... would be interested if you try the older version and your results.

Glenn

Collapse -
just a thought - zonelarm - old version
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 1, 2006 8:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, I Still Have That Version On A Win98 Machine
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 1, 2006 10:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Zone Alarm old version
by phil66 / June 1, 2006 10:57 AM PDT

I shall download and try.
My current firewall sygate works well but they have gone belly-up its time to venture out to something new.

Thanks Glenn,Marianna and Grif

Ray

Collapse -
Ray, You're Welcome and
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 1, 2006 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Zone Alarm old version

as I wrote, I NEVER ever had problems with that version of ZA on my winme :)Must be an oldie, but goodie as Grif also still has it on its win98 Wink

Collapse -
Site Advisor alert for oldversion.com
by Lazarey / June 6, 2006 11:30 AM PDT

I went to
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarm
to download it because I am in the exact same postion as Ray, and Site Advisor for Firefox alerted me and said
"In our tests, we found a small fraction of downloads on this site that some people consider adware or other unwanted programs.

So I wanted to ask you if that program is okay!

Thanks!

Collapse -
Site Advisor alert for oldversion.com
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 6, 2006 11:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Lazarey
by phil66 / June 6, 2006 11:49 AM PDT

I downloaded Zone alarm 4.5.594 from old version .com.
Ran avg 7 scan before installing all clean
Installed and set permissions it is working well with ME
Scanned at grc.com with Shields up and every port stealthed.
I have run approximately one week now and I am satisfied.

As for as old version and site advisor I use site advisor as a guide line then scan all the programs downloaded.
So far this has worked for me.

HTH
Ray

Collapse -
As I recall from My Last Visit, There Are Several Downloads
by tobeach / June 6, 2006 3:42 PM PDT

that might cause such a warning:
KAZAA (FOR SURE) Kazaa Lite (should be OK).
Various Macromedia items ( possibly because of use for downloading by drive by: Active-X).
WMP
Real Jukebox & Real Player (tracking)
I-Tunes (tracking of music tastes)
AOL Internet (well known for ad dropping)
Probably several more particularly in the file sharing group.
Since I don't believe OV actually alters any files from original content, I would expect questionables are native to the programs themselves.
Good to know what you download in advance! HTH Happy

Collapse -
Version 6.1.744.001 works with Win98SE.....
by MelH / June 9, 2006 1:00 AM PDT

.....but apparently, this is the last free version for 98. This was indicated on the download site. Pity.
XP still supported however and there is was an update for it a few days ago.

Collapse -
I Note That OV Also Has a Couple of Tiny Personal Firewall..
by tobeach / June 1, 2006 4:25 PM PDT

versions available. Big advantage is smallest size/load
(1.4 & 1.5 MB). Any experience &/or Opinions on them vs old Sygate, ZA, or Kerio v.2.15?? I also need to put on a ME machine being given to another person. Personal note: I've no talent re creating rules! TIA. ConfusedHappy

Collapse -
Hi tobeach
by phil66 / June 1, 2006 10:10 PM PDT

Looked into tiny personal firewall could not determine if it protected incoming and outgoing.
Do you know.
Ray

Collapse -
Apologies! Despite Lee's Assertion,Unable to Log In...
by tobeach / June 3, 2006 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi tobeach

& post last night.
I see your point re: 1 way or 2 way with Tiny. I spent more than an hour trying to determine answer. In 20+ posts & Google listings, all claimed it the "best" but no straight comment. I'm starting to suspect it was 1 way, but also kept an eye on all existing files by creating an MD5 check sum for each and confirming they remained untouched. This would prevent a trojan from calling home since it didn't match an existing sum?? My best guess.
Know it was so good, MS bought it to get it off the market. Did same with Giant Anti-Spy (basis for MS Malware Remover).Anyone else know for certain??:| Grin

Collapse -
recommend KPF v. 2.1.5
by dawillie / June 2, 2006 12:27 AM PDT

have a good rule set which although for XP can be adapted to ME.

email me if interested.

also easy to understand dialogue as to why.

David Williams

Collapse -
Thanks for Your Offer, David. Would Like Sample Set & More..
by tobeach / June 3, 2006 3:45 PM PDT
In reply to: recommend KPF v. 2.1.5

I am going to try to e-mail you thru C-Nets E-mail portal. Did try E-Mail last night... Sorry for not responding sooner (see post above to Phil66). Grin

Collapse -
I'm Sorry, David! I've Tried Several Times to E-Mail You....
by tobeach / June 7, 2006 4:59 PM PDT
In reply to: recommend KPF v. 2.1.5

via the button on your Profile page without luck.
Lee Koo e-mailed my last night saying she thought it was fixed by recent system fixes and asked me to report back if still not working. I'll mail the bad news tomorrow as it's Bed Time here (3A.M.)
I killed all my messenger services along time ago as a security measure. Don't want to post my Addie here(Duh!) but did ask if they could forward it to you so you could mail me direct. Will keep trying! Appreciate the offer & your patience. Sandy. Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sandy, Lee Koo's A 'He'...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 8, 2006 6:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks, Grif! I Saw That the Pronoun Had Slipped By Me ...
by tobeach / June 8, 2006 5:00 PM PDT

about 5 seconds after I hit post reply. In a hopefully rare moment of character contraction, I decided to hope it'd slip by un-noticed rather than post a correction post. Appreciate your catching & apologize to Lee for the slip! Do we have an emoticon for "embarrassed"? Should go *HERE* Grin

Collapse -
Zone-Alarm and Blackice Leak Test.
by dogteams1 / June 2, 2006 7:12 AM PDT

I've never heard of any Problems with older Windows,
Systems having problems with it.
Anyway over at Shieldsup it can Stop Blackice.
From getting in your ports.
The free one's all you need.
Don't really belive in useing the big Suites.
If you don't want it u could also use Sygate free version.I've used both.
I've tested about all at Shields up.
The 2 i mentioned do alot better than those big Suites.

Dogteams1

Collapse -
My 2 cents
by funklizard / June 9, 2006 12:28 AM PDT

The best of those mentioned is Sygate however, they were snapped up by Symantec and support, what little there is other than a web-forum, will go away at the end of the year.

Next best IMHO is ZA. It works well on my system (Windows Me) and plays nice with all other applications (SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D, AdAware).

Kerio PF is now 'owned' by a vendor in the UK as they decided to concentrate on other things. I've tried it but on my system is cause too many hangups.

There are many firewalls out there but one that I've heard mentioned with regularity with good reviews is Tiny Firewall.

As I said this is just my 2 cents worth...

Collapse -
Programerguy
by phil66 / June 9, 2006 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: My 2 cents

Agree with sygate used it until recently.

Question that has gone unanswered on Tiny Firewall does it protect against outgoing as well as incoming???

Zone Alarm old version working well for now.

Thanks
Ray

Collapse -
Stick with what works...
by funklizard / June 9, 2006 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Programerguy

ZA, older version, ZA newer version, stick with what works for you and with what you're comfortable with.

In my case it's Sygate until the end of the year and then I'll switch to ZA which I've never had problems with no matter what version I've run.

I personally no nothing about Tiny Firewall nor do I know anyone using it. The only thing I can tell you is to read up on it.

Collapse -
OK
by nevi / June 8, 2006 8:04 PM PDT

What about Kerio?
A very good firewall.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's True & Is the KPF Mentioned Above by Dawillie.
by tobeach / June 9, 2006 4:24 PM PDT
In reply to: OK
Collapse -
Filseclab: Check it out!
by kathyables / June 9, 2006 1:57 AM PDT

I've been using Filseclab for several months on my PC with the quirky MS ME OS. It's been doing the job, and I'm very pleased with it.

Check it out at:

http://www.filseclab.com

Hope this will help you.

Collapse -
need firewall
by Whitesnake / June 9, 2006 2:05 AM PDT

Have you tried the Sygate Personal Firewall? You have to teach it but I think that CNet has it in their downloads folders.

Collapse -
Here's one which doesn't eat your resources
by umpire joe / June 9, 2006 6:31 AM PDT

I've tried so many firewalls, all are the same, resource hogs... I think that one which will do the trick is
"Net Veda Safety.Net" I don't remember the website but you can search about it, I think that it will "Play nice" with ME

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm but beware ICS
by Zouch / June 9, 2006 9:15 AM PDT

Hi Ray,
I've been using ZoneAlarm on a Windows Me system for three years, since I went broadband. Initially, I was using V4 Free but when I configured ICS to share the internet connection on a small home network (Me was the "server/gateway") I couldn't get it to work properly - the clients were blocked from the internet. I upgraded to Pro and all the problems were solved. I upgraded all the way to Version 6.1.744.001 and had no problems at all. Just before I retired the machine, I upgraded to ZA Security Suite 6.1.744.001 in preparation for my new server and that too worked just fine on Me. A colleague is running ZA Free V 6.1.744.001 on a standalone Me system with no problems.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
if your on broadband just get a router
by ludedude25 / June 9, 2006 12:47 PM PDT

Most all home ones have built in firewall, uses none of your computers system resources, wired routers are pretty cheap "if ya don't need wireless", as easy to setup as software ones expecially if you use portforward.com and hey can't we all use a network Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.