Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

Need email importer.....

by astright / April 15, 2012 9:13 AM PDT

I'm so confused! Cry I need help!

I've had and used Zimbra Desktop for several years but the past week or so it's been acting up to the point that today it quit altogether. An error message says that I need to reinstall it because it's not able ot access the server. ????? I didn't know that an email importer, when off line, needed to connect with a server. Sad

Either way, I'm ready to change to something else but there is no download for Outlook for Win 7 and Thunderbird isn't working for me, for some reason. I downloaded it a couple of years ago and never got it to work but left the information on it and even though I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, the same information is on there and I can't get it to work.

Is there another one that is recommended and won't track my email and other info? Confused

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need email importer.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need email importer.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
WIth Windows 7
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 17, 2012 5:47 AM PDT

why not try Microsoft's Windows Live Mail? It is the Win 7 replacement for Outlook Express.

Outlook is still available for Win 7 users but it only comes packaged with Microsoft Office.

Not sure what you mean by an email importer. Email software manages emails, the term 'import' is not used to describe how they download emails from the email server.

Import generally means to Import files and settings from some other application.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
By the way
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 17, 2012 5:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Zimbra Desktop
by astright / April 19, 2012 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: By the way

Yes, the forums had someone else who has lost their whole email and the desktop and I posted under their question. I was told be one of the Zimbra staff(?) that ZD is going EOL so I'd need to find some other email collector, anyway.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Thunderbird
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 17, 2012 6:53 AM PDT

If you delete the Thunderbird folders in c:\users\<your username>\appdata\local and c:\users\<your username>\appdata\roaming (this might be hidden folders, but it's easy to unhide them) all settings and info you entered a couple of years ago are gone and you can start fresh.

Setting up an account in Thunderbird isn't more difficult than doing it in Windows Live Mail. So you can try both and keep the one you like most.

Kees

Collapse -
Thunderbird
by astright / April 21, 2012 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Thunderbird

Ok, thanks for the answer and I got the old info off and put a different one on and I got that royally messed up, too. It started downloading EVERYTHING from day one and intermixed all my other files in with my inbox mail and IDK how to fix it. It ran out of space by the time it got to August 2010 so I don't have anything newer. Anyone have any good suggestions before I just uninstall it and forget the whole idea?

Collapse -
Delete from server?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 21, 2012 8:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Thunderbird

it looks like your Account Settings has the "Delete emails from server" disabled.

That means the email server still has all the emails you ever downloaded, and has never deleted them.

Mark

Collapse -
T-Bird
by astright / April 22, 2012 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Delete from server?

Yes, there is a whole lot of information in my email that I can't just throw away. Either I keep it in my email account or I have to make hard copies and keep paper files.

It sounds like you're telling me that I'm SOL. If so, why did Zimbra work so well?

Collapse -
Because you never deleted them
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 22, 2012 9:35 PM PDT
In reply to: T-Bird

When you download an email but don't delete it from the server, the server obviously keeps them.

If you keep the email in your Zimbra software then the server has no need to send them to you again. But as soon as you delete any email you receive, the server would send it down to you again, if you have not told the email software to delete from the server.

When you installed Thunderbird, (or any email client software), and connected to the email server, it had no knowledge 'in this software' that you already had the emails, so it started sending them all to you again.

Sorry. All I can think of is this. In your Zimbra email software look for and find the setting that deletes emails from the server. You have the emails already so you may decide they are no longer needed on the server. Then, when you connect Thunderbird to the server, the server will only download those emails you haven't previously received.

But a word of caution. If you do delete from the server then the only copies you have are those in the Zimbra software. If you need to keep them all safe you need to make copies of those email folders and store them somewhere away from your computer.

Mark

Collapse -
blunder bird...
by astright / April 23, 2012 1:07 AM PDT

Yes, and t'anks a million. I'm SO sad that I have to go through all this. Zimbra was SO-O-O easy to use! Even a blithering idiot like me could figure it out.

Answers my questions.

Collapse -
Re: mail
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 22, 2012 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Thunderbird

You can login into the webmail offered by your mail provider and delete all mails you don't want in Thunderbird. For example: all mails earlier than April 15, 2012 or something like that.

If you want to keep access to your mail archive in Zimbra (I assume that it's in local files, which is the case if you used a pop3-protocol in Zimbra, NOT if you use IMAP!) just keep using Zimbra for that, but inactivate the account with your mail provider in Zimbra, so it won't download any new mails.

Kees

Collapse -
Zebra (I know, spelled wrong)
by astright / April 23, 2012 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: mail

So, since I have to get rid of Zimbra (OH, such an easy thing to figure out and use), anyway, and I'm not so very IT savvy, until I'm able to fugure out something better, I guess I'll just have to stay with signing into each of my email accounts individually. CryCryCry (Wa-a-a, wa-a-a, wa-a-a) (Cry baby)

Really 'preciate all yer good help. Answers all my questions. Sad (still sad, though) Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.