Camcorders

General discussion

Need camcorder with external microphone jack. Suggestion?

by theory201 / October 27, 2005 8:01 AM PDT

I am looking for a camcorder to record such things as recitals. Thought I had narrowed my search down to a Sony DCR-HC32 or DCR-HC42. Called Sony and the person I talked to said that they made nothing but a Hi-8 that has an external jack. I've already got a Hi-8. So I'm starting over. My fear is getting camera noise when I record. (Used a Canon without an external jack and heard a lot of hum.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need camcorder with external microphone jack. Suggestion?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need camcorder with external microphone jack. Suggestion?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm not sure what you mean. Every camcorder I've ever
by Kiddpeat / October 27, 2005 10:23 AM PDT

looked closely at has an external microphone jack. My Sony TRV17 has one, and the small Canons I've used have one. I suppose there might be some cameras which lack this, but I think they're in the minority.

Did you mean an XLR microphone perhaps? Those are very unusual, but adaptors are available.

Collapse -
camcorder woman needs help on what to buy
by hillarycaston / November 30, 2009 10:19 AM PST

I need a camcorder to shoot for home videos. I need great sound (so I beleive I need an external port for sound on the person I am shooting) as well as a camera that will adjust to the back light of a room when the window shades are open. Light weight and easy to use would be great too.
thank you

Collapse -
camcorder choice
by ray6 / November 15, 2005 12:02 AM PST

This a copy of a response to another post-
I am a video producer working with a local community TV station. I understand your problem. I use a JVC GY-DV500 (12 pounds, on the shoulder) for most of my video, but needed a small camcorder for some interior shots for an airplane sequence we're working on.

I ended up with a Panasonic PV-GS150 for the following reasons:

3 CCD for good image quality
External mic input
Very small
Cheap extra batteries
Decent image stabilization
Inexpensive wide angle adaptors available
Decent low light, but mot much better than competing models
Price- Approx. $600 with rebate at Circuit City

I avoided Canons because of all the tape transport issues I have read about.

I purchased an extended warranty from Mack for I think $60 for 4 years.

This camcorder produces an excellent image for the price. Not as good as my DV500, but not that much different. Also, this cam was the easiest to set up because of it's joystick, so it's buried menu features are quite usable. Manual focus is difficult, but rarely needed (auto focus works well most of the time). I can also monitor the audio with headphones while using an external mic.

I would go to a retailer and try a few models. My priority would be:

3 CCD
External mic
Good image stabilization
Inexpensive accessories
Low light performance

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
SONY SR12 Avice
by alan55555 / December 12, 2008 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: camcorder choice

I have been researching for the last few weeks to find the ideal camcorder, but lack some knowledge and experience in this area but seems very interesting.
Purpose:
- Filming an actor about 1 or 2 meters away from the camera with green screen in the background to edit the background.
I have found the Sony SR12. Its 5 mg sensor/hd resolution to me stand ahead compared to other camcorders.
Any views out there on the following requirements/factors?

Requirements:
- Video quality:
1. High quality recording
- Audio:
2. Microphone input for clearer sound recording.
3. Camcorder must make no no motor noise as could be filming without using external microphones at time (so no hissing/motor noises in the background). Is this the case?
4. I have read the microphone lacks manual audio control. Can we adjust the volume or sensitivy of the recording? If we can, that should be enough I guess.
- Format:
5. The footage needs to be connected to the PC and needs to work with standard green screen editing software?s like adobe preimere, magic movie, and fx composite lab. The final will be converted to a flash video.
As this camcorder records in AVCHD, does this mean some editing software?s won?t work. Cant this format be transferred to AVI which is quite a standard format which can then work with most editing software?s? This site seems to offer converting tool: http://www.alivemedia.net/hd-video-converter.htm. Is it as simple as reviews seem to suggest it can be complicated, lose quality and time consuming?
Any advice and views on the Sony SR12 would be great Happy

Collapse -
camcorders with external mic capacity
by crispian13 / December 30, 2005 12:49 PM PST

Today, 12/30/05, I was window shopping for a camcorder or hybrid at Circuit City. Only two models had external mic jacks: the JVC F550 which listed for $449 but was on sale for $360 and the Samsung SCD353 which listed for $244 but was on sale for $219. I am looking for external mic capacity for the same reason, to obtain improved sound quality, especially to eliminate the mic picking up the sound of the camera as it runs.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I've recently seen the same at Bestbuy.
by Kiddpeat / January 2, 2006 3:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Panasonic PV-GS35
by NaviT31 / December 31, 2005 1:44 AM PST

That camcorder has a microphone jack. Im aware of this because I have used this at school. I like the feel of the camera. So why not...

cost around 500 at circuit city. Has a built in light too just incase...

Collapse -
External Mic Options
by usmcoth / July 17, 2010 12:05 PM PDT

I am looking for a mid-range $500 camcorder (NOT MiniDV or other tape) that permits an external mic option. This is a church application and would like to tap into the central amp or mic. Is there possibly an external box that permits the exporting of the video feed from the camera and the audio from another source into one DVR or computer based solution? ...that we can afford on our budget?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.