iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Need basic help with iPad 2 query

by Feorag / January 31, 2013 12:33 AM PST

As a newbie it seems I have screwed up. I signed up to iCloud for my wife thinking that this facility would simplify things for us in future. Big mistake! The iPad is superb but now my wife can't access her previously sent e-mails, has to remember to use her previous e-mail address and finds that all her precious albums and pictures are no longer controlled form her iPad. If I use the red "Cancel your iCloud account" (or similar) button it tells me that all images etc. will be lost for ever.

How can I get out of this hole ... love the iPad but don't want Cloud yet. Any help very welcome. TIA.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need basic help with iPad 2 query
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need basic help with iPad 2 query
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Just create another email account on that iPad
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 7:21 AM PST

using all the details from your wife's other email account.

Question: Where were all the emails and did you delete an email account from the iPad before you created the iCloud account?

Collapse -
Question Answer
by Feorag / January 31, 2013 4:43 PM PST

Previously all Sent messages were accessed by tapping Mailbox button and in the menu which appeared was "Sent" - along with Trash etc. This whole menu has been replaced with, presumably, that applicable to iPad. While setting up another email account should help the basic problem it will not return the previously sent messages.

Also one of the games - Freecell - has totally frozen since iCloud has been activated. It's fair to say I have known greater popularity than is currently the case!

Collapse -
I can see how that would be
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 8:50 PM PST
In reply to: Question Answer

but your lack of popularity might be somewhat deserved in that you must have deleted the original account before setting up the iCloud account on that iPad.

If you do not recall deleting the account, take a look at the Settings app, on the iPad, in the Mail, Contacts and Calenders section.
That will give you a list of all the Mail accounts on the iPad.
Is the other account listed there?

Without knowing who your email supplier was, on the deleted account, I can only suggest that you access that mail account directly, using a web browser.
You "may" be able to access sent mail from there. It's worth a shot.

As for Freecell, just delete it and reinstall it. I doubt the presence of an iCloud account should have any detrimental effect on its performance.

Collapse -
All OK and peaceful
by Feorag / February 1, 2013 1:25 AM PST

Many thanks to those who responded. Your advice and suggestions were effective. It seems I may be allowed out of the doghouse tomorrow. Thanks again!

Collapse -
Would be nice to know what you did to restore Harmony
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 1, 2013 9:42 AM PST
In reply to: All OK and peaceful

to the household

Collapse -
Restoration of harmony
by Feorag / February 1, 2013 4:57 PM PST

Not really sure what we did ... we were getting more and more confused when our younger son took over and magic took place! A couple of clicks and a brief incantation over a smoking candle and ... Zap ...
all back to normal. So I'm not really able to give you a clinical answer .... but it's all smoke and mirrors to
we in the senior generation. Rather like a screwdriver ... iPads etc are tools ... to be used rather than played with!

Collapse -
I can see how that could be,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 1, 2013 9:21 PM PST
In reply to: Restoration of harmony

the younger generation don't spend time thinking about the how, why, when and what if's of the problem, and fix it while the previous generation tend to think about the ramifications of changing something.

But that is true of every generation.

Were it not, then we would not be using these devices.

Good to see that you are out of the Canine Retreat and that the email has reappeared

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.