Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Need an opinion about a PS3 please

by treysfnemail / February 7, 2007 10:10 AM PST

Went into Circuit City today and talked with a sales rep about the PS3 and he told me that I should stay away from it for now because they are having ALOT of problems with them overheating and the Blue-Ray player isn't playing the DVD's correctly and are freezing up, now has anyone that owns a PS3 ever had any of these problems? I'm thinking about buying one but still doing my research on it right now- and just for the record I'm going to get a Wii down the road at some point so that's not an issue right now.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need an opinion about a PS3 please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need an opinion about a PS3 please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Need an opinion about a PS3 please
by JayC1883 / February 9, 2007 9:45 AM PST

I am the proud owner of a PS3. I have not had any problems at all with my Ps3 being able to play Blu-ray movies or standard DVD's. Out of the boox the PS3 does have some trouble playing regualr ps2 games that do not support pro-scan. However with the latest firmware update that problem has been fixed. As for the freezing up problem, mine has never done so. I have actually spoken to a Sony Rep who claimed that under some circumstances the system may overheat. (An example would be having the PS3 in an extremely closed space, as many retailers are forced to do) Fortunately most people will not have our systems boxed up and enclosed on all four sides. In addition to that the I believe NYKO is about to release an intercoller fan simialr to the one currently available for the 360. My opinion is if you are still unsure about it, hold off on getting one as there are'nt many games out anyway that merit the $600 price tag. However if you are looking for a great Blu-ray Player for your home theater the PS3 does perform quite well. And, with many great games looming on the horizon, the PS3 will only get better.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply!
by treysfnemail / February 10, 2007 8:07 AM PST

I took the plung. I went out and bought a PS3 today haven't hooked it up yet, but I did ALOT of reseach about them overheating and I guess it was a problem with the 20GB PS3's so I went ahead and bought the 60GB PS3, as far as the games go I'm kind of glad that there isn't alot out there yet that way I'll play the one I got more(Madden07)I guess you can also download demos from the Playstation network store, can't wait for F1 and Motostorm to come out, along with a baseball game too.

Collapse -
overheating
by bevillan / February 15, 2007 12:13 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the reply!

The 360 had the same overheating issues so it's not surprising that some of the PS3s are having the same issue too. When you cram in high end processors, video cards, etc. you get one hot running console. There are bound to be more failures than last gen.

I might get a PS3 once actual good games are out. I figure you can only replay Resistance so many times before you get sick of it. I think it is sad that there are plenty of PS3's instock while the Wii keeps selling out all over the place. This time last year the 360 was still selling out. Sony really had a bad launch.

Collapse -
Re:Overheating
by JayC1883 / February 15, 2007 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: overheating

Whenever someone asks me whether or not to get a PS3 I always tell them that it will ultimately be up to them whether or not they are willing to make an investment in a product that will "eventually" be worth the money. From the average consumers perspective, the PS3 is a budget Blu-ray player that stacks up quite nicely to stand alone players that costs nearly double. When Blu-ray Disc defeats HD-DVD, and becomes the HD Disc format of choice, all PS3 owners will be ready to go.(any of you who thinks it won't beat out HD-DVD are just kidding yourselves) However as a gamer, the PS3 does not have what it takes to seize hold of the video game crown currently held by Microsoft. Currently third party games available on both systems have looked slightly better on Microsoft's XBOX 360. But this should not be surprising to anyone since most 360 software are already in there 3rd and 4th generations while most developers are just beginning to familiarize themselves with the PS3's cell processor. If one year from now, games are still looking the same then sony will have some explaining to do. If you are'nt quite sure wait it out. There are a dozens of great titles coming out like Heavenly Sword (which I believe will be a system seller), MGS4, DMC4. that will please everyone.

Collapse -
PS3 is king
by glenlo / November 10, 2012 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Overheating

The comments on the gaming choices for the 360 vs PS3 are strictly subject to the persons particular preferences and not in the actual quality of the games. Children like the 360 and sophisticated adults love the PS3 the first one with a Blue Ray included as well as internal wifi saving users for years hundreds of dollars in upgrades that the red eye of death microsofty xbox is proven to be noted for....
All sytems now are getting put to the max its amazing that the ps3 is still operating for me its been 5 or more years and never given me a bit of trouble. So while Halo keeps the kids involved the PS3 is a thinking mans home entertainment system which should only get better with the upcoming system .

Collapse -
Happy and Confident...
by tnmtlm / February 21, 2007 9:25 PM PST

Like you, I researched the PS3 out the wazoo. I read just about every review and message board I could find. I compared everything I heard about 360's growing pains to the initial reports of the PS3.

The PS3 will get quite warm, but I know of no other PS3 owner (people I know personally) who has had the types of problems you describe. My PS3 has played the games and DVDs flawlessly. For the overheating issue in particular, a couple of manufacturers are producting an "intercooler" for the PS3. I won't comment on the merits of it, but from the posts I've read, the intercooler actually created other problems for some 360 owners. I think if you keep the PS3 in a dry, cool place a reasonable distance away from other heat sources, you should have no problem. I don't recommend stacking it on top of your TV or alongside all of your other AV equipment.

Todd

Collapse -
yep
by bevillan / February 22, 2007 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: Happy and Confident...

Make sure you do not have anything stacked above or below your PS3 and that you have good ventilation on the sides and back of it as well. With the 360 and PS3 you have to be careful due to how hot their processing cores can get and damage other parts of the console.

Collapse -
I don't have any experience personally
by bkchurch / February 25, 2007 8:23 AM PST

But I'm not sure what the people at CC are expecting their PS3's and 360's that keep overheating to do. When you place a console that works as hard and as hot as the PS3 or 360 and put it in a small barely ventilated plastic box it's obviously going to overheat and stop working, hell i'm surprised they don't melt in those conditions.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.