Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

need an mp3 type player immediately

by hamblda / March 13, 2007 9:25 AM PDT

In Feb.(9th) I put a thread in where my daqughter's i-pod was frozen for 3d tme in 2 years, we still haven't been able to fix it so I guess it's back to be fixed, I figured maybe I would buy something new, she says if its not apple her music won't transfer, so what would you buy $80.00 to $250.00, with music playing and sound #1, ease of transfer of music or video #2 from Apple or non Apple players #3capacity #4 ability to watch video or connect to laptop or download, please help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need an mp3 type player immediately
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need an mp3 type player immediately
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If the iPod is "back to be fixed"
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 13, 2007 10:19 AM PDT

how long will Apple have it for?

If you really want to buy a new one immediately, the 80GB iPod with Video meets all your criteria.

Is it not possible to wait for the return of the replacement iPod?

P

Collapse -
need an mp3 type player immediately
by hamblda / March 13, 2007 10:41 AM PDT

/Dear MRMacfixit:
In 2 years it's had the sad face 3 times, this last time Best Buy sent it out and when we got it back it was less than 3 weeks before the sad icon face came back, last year it was fixed for 1 year, if we wait now how long will it go this time, my daughter doesn't think she did anything wrong either time?So if I buy Apple am I stupid if she really did nothing wrong and the product for her did'nt perform right, we have 2 others apple, nano, video, so far with no problems. Can she transfer her songs out of Itunes to different player? I liked Cowan D2 but its not out yet? Help

Collapse -
Music formats and player recommendations
by electronista / March 13, 2007 12:29 PM PDT

As you've noted, the problem is more that particular iPod than Apple.

Whether or not you can transfer songs out of iTunes to another player depends on what format they're in. Anything you bought from the iTunes Store absolutely has to be used in iTunes and the iPod, since that's the only software and hardware that will work with it.

If it's albums you've ripped into iTunes, they're probably in standard AAC format (unless you changed the settings). Those can be copied to other programs that support the AAC format and will work on other players that support AAC.

If you know for a fact that they're all MP3 files, then you can use them in just about any program or music player.

As it stands: if you're used to using iPods and you've had a good experience with the others in the house, why switch? It'll only create headaches.

Collapse -
iPods and Non-Apple Repairs
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 14, 2007 3:07 AM PDT

Without getting into a flame war here, if you send an iPod back to Apple, directly, you will receive a replacement, not the same one, back in its place.
If you take your iPod into Best Buy, your guess is as good as mine as to who takes it apart and "fixes" it.
As another poster pointed out, you may have had a less than stellar experience with that iPod but it does not mean that all iPods will act the same.
Take a look at this forum and count how many posted problems you find with the iPod and compare it to the number of posted problems for the Non-iPod players.
I have had a iPod Mini for over 3 years and it is still happily doing its thing.
I do not know anything about the Cowan D2 other than the fact that you like it, then again, the player is not for you. Happy (Hell hath no fury like a teenager given the "wrong" player)

P

Collapse -
if she has purchased iTunes songs
by ktreb / March 14, 2007 4:44 AM PDT

She could copy them to an audio cd then rip them again onto her computer. But if she has a lot of songs (I have over 400) this can be a long process and I wouldn't recommend.

Collapse -
Cowon D2
by alext / March 15, 2007 4:22 AM PDT

The Cowon D2 plays aac files. They don't advertise it, but it does. At least in the current firmware.

However, it won't play any songs bought through iTunes, as these are encrypted and will only play on an iPod.

It really depends how much music your daughter has bought online.

I never buy tracks online as I refuse to be locked into one player. I buy cds and rip it myself.

Collapse -
Forget Ipod
by Osa007 / March 15, 2007 6:40 AM PDT

I suggest forget Ipod and choose a different MP3 player besides Ipod because it is not the only MP3 player on the market. Some of the people posting you advice are just giving Apple excuses for making MP3 players that don't work or last as long compared to all the MP3 players on the market today. You will just keep buying or fixing Ipods until you only get frustrated like all the people who are on their fourth Ipod.

Collapse -
Anti-Apple postures aren't very helpful... or realistic
by electronista / March 15, 2007 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Forget Ipod

Sorry, but if you're trying to be helpful you're not doing very well. An anything-but-Apple attitude isn't just stereotyping, it's potentially hurtful.

It's consumer electronics. Things break down no matter how well screwed-together they are. You may be confusing popularity for reliability: when there are more iPods being shipped, more of them are likely to break. The Zune has had its share of software and hardwre glitches, but it's not treated as an epidemic in part because Microsoft at best commands 2-3% of the market.

For reference, I've bought three iPods over as many years, but never once was it because one of them broke down. I bought the 20GB monochrome iPod in 2004 and used until I sold it in 2006, when I got a 30GB iPod video; just in February I picked up an iPod shuffle for exercise. I can't speak for everyone, but my iPods have dealt with heavy use and come out on top.

Suggesting that someone jump ship only creates a false sense of safety and probably leads to disappointment when the new player breaks down -- or isn't as enjoyable when it IS working.

Collapse -
(NT) Nicely put!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 15, 2007 7:57 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.