E-readers

General discussion

Need an e-book reader with web browser

by fashion_m / June 15, 2011 5:56 AM PDT

Hi, guys, I'm sick of reading on LCD monitor. I want more eye-friendly device like an ebook reader with e-paper display. I don't really read electronic books, what I read are PDF files, Word, TXT... and text websites, like Wikipedia. So I need an e-reader with web browser. And I insisit on touchscreen.
Please give me recommendations.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need an e-book reader with web browser
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need an e-book reader with web browser
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Nook Color
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 15, 2011 6:11 AM PDT

I've seen the Nook Color mentioned many times in these forums, but I can't attest to it personally.

"As far as general navigation goes, on every screen (not just your home base), you've got a small tab which pulls up a menu from the bottom of the page with familiar Nook selections: library, shop, search, extras, web, and settings."

"The library section is organized by books, magazines, and newspapers, but also gives options for creating your own sets of content ("my shelves"), working with PDFs and other docs, music, images, and video (M4V only)"

Full Engadget review here; http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/nook-color-review/

Mark

Collapse -
No LCD
by fashion_m / June 15, 2011 5:23 PM PDT
In reply to: The Nook Color

As I said, I am sick of reading LCD screens.
No LCD, please.
I want E-Ink, Mirasol, Pixel Qi or other eye-friendly technology.

Collapse -
Even my first gen kindle has a browser.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: No LCD

I wonder if there are other criteria not told here. All the e-ink systems I see have been reviewed and what's stopping you today?

Collapse -
Please recommend
by fashion_m / June 18, 2011 4:30 AM PDT

Pleace recommend me an e-paper device with decent web browser and touch screen.

Collapse -
Define "decent"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Please recommend

My old kindle has a decent browser. It works well with the Amazon.com site and other sites. Sorry but to go any further we'll have to define this in good detail.

Be sure to take another look at the Kobo/BarnesNoble/Sony units.
bob

Collapse -
Netbook recommended
by jxrich / June 18, 2011 7:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
eBook with web browser?
by JoysonD / June 26, 2011 3:31 PM PDT

First: Amazon Kindle if you are looking some cheap. If you buy the 3G version no matter how long you use it ATT isn't going to charge you.

Second: Nook Color, its really good but more expensive.

Collapse -
Nook Touch
by fashion_m / July 2, 2011 6:37 PM PDT

Hello again, guys, I bought Nook Touch Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.