TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Need advice on what TV to buy

by Elgiganten / October 15, 2012 3:58 AM PDT

Hello.

Today I went to the electronic stores to buy a new TV. I wanted to get a Samsung TV, but after today, I don't even know what TV model to buy!

First store recommended me an LG TV, second store a Samsung, the last one a Panasonic.

I need some help on what is best regarding picture quality, features, engine etc.

These are the models I had a look on:

LG 55" LED/FULL HD/800 MCI/T2C. Modelname: 55LM760T.

PANASONIC 55" LED/FULL HD/1600Hz/T2. Modelname: TXL55DT50Y.

SAMSUNG 55" LED/ FULL HD/800 Hz/T2. Modelname: UE55ES7005.

These three has pretty much the same features. The only thing additionally is that the LG has a special remote controller & the Samsung a camera. Nothing extraordinary feature about the Panasonic. Not that the camera nor the remote controller is really needed.

They told me that while the Samsung & LG does a good job on the picture quality, the Panasonic produces the fastest & most realistic picture (hence the 1600 Hz). That Panasonic's picture produces what we would see out in the real world, while Samsung & LG makes things a lot lighter to make it more colorful?

What do you think when you look at these three models.

Which has the fastest and greatest engine?

LG Engine: Triple XD Engine. Panasonic engine: Vreal 3D. Samsung engine: Hyper Real 3D Engine.

What matter most to me is the picture. Which of these TV produces the greatest HD & 3D picture?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need advice on what TV to buy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need advice on what TV to buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
hope this helps
by capone59 / October 15, 2012 11:22 AM PDT

CNETS Review on the LG
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-47lm7600/4505-6482_7-35117974.html

CNETS Review on the PANASONIC
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-l55dt50/4505-6482_7-35118295.html
(According to them this TV is garbage! FYI The TV model appears to be TC-L55DT50)

As for your Samsung UE55ES7005 Is not an American model, look deeper before buying!

Based on what I have seen your price range appears to be $1,200 to $1,700. Why are you looking at LCD-LED TVs? I say this because plasmas do give better overall picture quality, however will appear dim in light rooms. That said, if lighting is bright LCD-LEDs would give a brighter picture.

Panasonic inside your range (PLASMA)
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p55st50/4505-6482_7-35118300.html

I own the LCD-LED Samsung UN55ES8000, and hate it! I got it for pennies due to a small scratch and a nice friend so I can't really complain. Before the new 9000 series this was their top model and let me tell you the black levels are better than my 2009 Plasma, images appear jitter/blurry seen at best when its trying to show ESPN, stock market when they show fast words floating across screen and its a blur than clear than back to blur. If thats what this model does, imagine all their models doing this.

Overall your LG appears to be best considering your choices, but look into other TVs.

-I use CNET on all my research as other sites. CNET has been true to their reviews which I look deeper into by viewing those TVs in person. Try to search this site on their reviews and price ranges-

Collapse -
by Elgiganten / October 15, 2012 8:49 PM PDT
In reply to: hope this helps

Hi.

Thank you for your reply and everyone else. I decided not to go for the Panasonic.

But I am still not sure what to choose between a Samsung & LG.

I live in an European country, hence you couldn't find the model.

Those were the TVs that are popular, so what should I do?

These TVs are on sale at the moment in a popular store in Denmark:

http://www.elgiganten.dk/catalog/tv-radio/dk_tv/fladskarms-tv?SearchParameter=%26%40QueryTerm%3D*%263D%2BReady%3DJa%26CategoryUUIDLevel2%3D164KeQuvBfsAAAEo0OtewBal%26ManufacturerName%3DLG_or_Samsung%26Produkttype%3DLED-TV%26Str.%2B%2528tommer%2529%3D50%2B-%2B59%26online%3D1%26%40Sort.ProductListPrice%3D0

And this site: http://www.fona.dk/elektronik/tv/?{BFEFCA81-1696-4B91-A37C-CC4B1407F1AB}=[SAMSUNG]&{E75A280B-9BE7-4695-84D7-9662C9318F9D}=[min51]&{00178465-5AEE-4DDD-8AD0-F9E1380BA517}=[1080P%20/%20Full%20HD]

Only the first two models though.

Out of all these TVs in these two sites, when you take a quick glance over them, what do you recommend?

Collapse -
by Elgiganten / October 15, 2012 8:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

Only the first two models in the "fona" site.

Collapse -
Answer
Just one thing about Plasma.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2012 11:45 AM PDT

While Image Retention issues are not as bad, it is still possible and folk tend to downplay this if they are selling them. Yes, they are great but be careful.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes
by capone59 / October 15, 2012 12:13 PM PDT

Image Retention is possible but todays tech reduces the chance. Plane and simple do not pause your screen without a saver for extended periods of time. I have the panasonic V10 from 2009. I played ton of video games over 5 hours at a time and yes my screen shows the last image faintly however once a new screen appears after a pure black screen that image retention disappears and the next image is back to normal. Also be a smart buyer, research every TV like your doing and compare price to picture. Apps can be used from most new Blu-ray players and gaming consoles, so be alert which is important to you.

Hands down I'll buy a plasma over an LCD-LED any day until their blacks compete at plasma prices. Sharp and Sony did this great but the price is crazy $2,500 - 3,000 for Sony if not more and Sharp is showing their large screen that has deep deep blacks at over $4,000. Next you have Panasonic which is not as expensive and yet show deep black levels and great overall picture quality but their overall design sucks. Nothing beats Samsung's design, it is hot!

Collapse -
Apps? Not a selling feature here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2012 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes
Collapse -
Answer
Reposting for emily.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 15, 2012 11:38 PM PDT

I really like the Samsung. We've had our TV for a bit, had a big football party and everyone commented on the clear picture. Once we settled on a TV, we got Dish. My husband loves the sports package.

But I left out where she bought it.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.