Desktops forum

Tip

Need advice on what PC to buy

by Elgiganten / February 4, 2013 12:11 AM PST

Hello everyone!

I need some advice on what PC to buy, because I don't understand much of a PC's specifications. I'm going to mainly use it for games, movies etc. So I want a good and a fast PC. Here's the ones I consider buying, but I don't know which one.

So please, can you please read through the specifications. I have compared them all three there:

http://www.elgiganten.dk/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/store-elgigantenDK-Site/da_DK/-/DKK/ViewProductCompare-Show?products=PBDTU7HEG048@store-elgigantenDK|ACDTSKJEQ019@store-elgigantenDK|DEXPS85004196@store-elgigantenDK

You can press on the green button "Marker forskellene" and it will highlight the differences. I don't think you really need to understand Danish, as it is mostly numbers.

Which one should I go for, to play quality games and movies on great settings. Intel Core or AMD? Which one of the PCs has the greatest graphic card - NVIDIA GeForce or AMD Radeon? Can any of those PCs run games like Battlefield 3, Max Payne 3 etc on highest settings?

Please help out. I really hope to get some good advices.

Thank you. Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need advice on what PC to buy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need advice on what PC to buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That will run games but at the lower settings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: Change in link

That gt620 doesn't even make anyone's list. Your "gamer" will select a GPU from a list like this list.
-> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

The i5 is a great choice. Why do I write that?
"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. "
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

Bob

Collapse -
Hey
by Elgiganten / February 4, 2013 2:43 AM PST

Hey.

I'm not really a hardcore gamer (as some would say), just an average gamer that would like to play once in a while. I don't need to have maxed out the setings. I could be running on low settings for all I care. But I want a smooth PC with a great performance and it should be fast.

I should be able to play those games, maybe not on highest, but medium would definitely do.

So now my choice is either the first PC or the second one.

The first one has a 3rd generation CPU, the second one has 2nd. Does it matter much?

What is CPU Cache? Seems like the second one is a bit lower on that. But would it matter, since the second one has a RAM of 12gb?

What about the RAM speed (MHZ). Would I be able to feel any difference?

The graphic card - which is better NVIDIA GeForce GT620 or AMD Radeon HD 7470?

The processor - which is better: Intel Core i5 or AMD A10 Vision? Would it be the latter one, since it has 4 CPU's and the other one has 2? I heard that i5 should be better though?

I'm sorry for all these questions, but I don't know a lot on this subject. Thank you for your help and I hope you can answer all my silly questions!

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Hey

It's like drag racing in the family van. Doesn't do well at all. You have a good base but the 620 video card is a problem.

As to the 7470, it may be better. Hit up tomshardware for scores.

As to the CPU, you picked a winner. I would not change that.
Bob

Collapse -
Hey
by Elgiganten / February 4, 2013 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: I hear you.
Collapse -
Ooops!
by Elgiganten / February 4, 2013 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: Hey

You can view the specifications bottom of the page.

Collapse -
Nice spec to a point.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Ooops!

http://tech-reviews.co.uk/images/reviews/sp-ss500/large/silverpower%281%29.JPG shows it has dual rails of 17A each. You will sometimes see those start to falter in a year or two. At least you know ahead of time. Good value selections but I would have stuck with the i5.
Bob

Collapse -
Hi
by Elgiganten / February 4, 2013 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: Nice spec to a point.

The powersupply will start to falter in a year or two? Really? Would you say that's the only disadvantage of this PC?

Could you take a look at this link:

http://www.komplett.dk/k/config.aspx?ConfigSystemId=10746

Under "Stromforsyninger" (means powersupply), there's a list of power supplies to choose. Which one would you then recommend?

Collapse -
I can't predict if this one will.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: Hi

I only noted the issue because if you are in the forums, that combination shows up in a year or 2 with odd failures. Remember it's not that all will do that. But it's an odd choice of products so my guess is it's about the money.

Sorry but there are dozens of options at that link. Your prior posts looked fine as far as a working PC. As you narrowed it done I took a quick dive into the PSU specs to see if it would be a single or more rail. I'd want a single rail for this setup or 20+Amperes on the +12V rail. This is not an offer to write a dissertation on PSU selection.
Bob

Collapse -
The really short guide to picking a PSU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 5:35 AM PST

Find what Amperes you will be putting on each "RAIL". It does not have to be exact but it should the numbers "under load."

Now double that and add up the resulting Watts. For a long life PC you'll want rails that you never exceed 50% of the Amperes for each rail and for total Watts you don't want to exceed 50% of the total Watts the PSU is rated for.

If you're read power supply shootouts like http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/stress-test,1073.html and others you learn that those ratings are usually optimistic and after a year or two are not to be believed as the part ages and loses capacity.

Sure you can go higher on the 50% mark and many use the 75 or 80% of the rating but it's your design. Make it a good one.
Bob

Collapse -
Hey!
by Elgiganten / February 4, 2013 7:17 AM PST
Collapse -
Nice single +12V RAIL. 44 AMPERES there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Hey!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.