Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Need advice on BITS job error events

by arby10101 / June 15, 2012 11:27 AM PDT

Our two networked Windows 7 computers ( 1 64-bit, 1 32-bit) have both started (since 6/12) posting many events of this type:

A new BITS job could not be created. The current job count for the user xxxx/xxx (60) is equal to or greater than the job limit (60) specified through group policy. To correct the problem, complete or cancel the BITS jobs that haven't made progress by looking at the error, and restart the BITS service. If this error recurs, contact your system administrator and increate the per-user and per-computer Group Policy job limits.

Yes, the spelling error "increate" is there. This is a minor annoyance now but I am concerned that it will interfere with future updates. (That spelling error also concerns me.)

How do I "complete or cancel the BITS jobs that haven't made progress by looking at the error"? That doesn't mean anything to me.

Thanks for any help; I'm a little concerned.

arby10101 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need advice on BITS job error events
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need advice on BITS job error events
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by arby10101

Collapse -
Usually no one bothers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 3:28 AM PDT

BITS is self correcting and more. These are informational even and only looked at when there are other errors we are looking to fix.

Since you have no other failures noted I'm going with "clear the event log can carry on."

--> I'm getting a lot of requests like this because of that recent SCAM noted at http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-563986/scam-alert-are-you-getting-phone-calls-by-people-claiming-to-be-tech-support/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

These scammers have folk look at the event log and even if you don't fall for the scam you might try to fix the events you find there.
Bob

Collapse -
Yep, I've had two today
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 6:32 AM PDT

Both callers wanted me to open the Event Viewer to tell me that "all those errors" are bad and needed fixing.

They could fix them as well, for a price. I told them I was fine.

Mark

Collapse -
No, no scams for me
by arby10101 / June 16, 2012 11:21 AM PDT

I have been following the event logs for the 64-bit machine tracking down some freezes and BSODs. Hardware memory problems, possibly.

I'll follow your advice and ignore the errors. They caught my attention because there were over 100 of them on one computer and 40 on the other within less than four days. And they started on both computers on the same day. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Try a NEW POST with full details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2012 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: No, no scams for me

Now that we are looking at the fallout of an issue rather than what made you look I suggest a clean new post with all the details.

It could be as simple as the usual or deeper like a machine that was never certified by the maker to run 7.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks.
by arby10101 / June 17, 2012 11:25 AM PDT

I'll start a new thread.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.