MacBooks forum

Need Advice on Best Macbook to get (2 options)

by ulisan98 / November 7, 2012 5:34 AM PST

Hi everybody,

I am looking to finally get my first Mac and was looking at 2 models at Best Buy: 1) Apple - MacBook Air® - 13.3" Display - 4GB Memory - 256GB Flash Storage for $1455, or 2) Apple® - MacBook Pro - 13.3" Display - 8GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive for $1455.

Looking at the specs, the Pro has more features (like more ports and the DVD drive) but is also heavier and I know that the Air models have been getting great reviews for their lightweight and portability, along with having Flash drivers. But nonetheless, it's still a hard decision to make and I hope that you can all help guide me as to what's the better option for somebody like me who is always on the go, working from various locations, but needs a laptop with some good balls under it.

Any advice that you can all provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the time and suggestions!!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Advice on Best Macbook to get (2 options)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Advice on Best Macbook to get (2 options)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
For me it's the MacBook Pro.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 7:32 AM PST

But I use my PC for software development and have some heavy requirements such as a Virtual Box system that is about 100GB in size so that would blow away that small SSD.

If you are not doing much with your laptop, and just need a travel machine, get the Air.

Collapse -
I need a workhorse
by ulisan98 / November 7, 2012 8:41 AM PST

Thanks for your response, Bob!

I do a lot of graphic editing for print and web, but with the expanded use of cloud storage and the accessibility of wifi, I wasn't sure how much I could compensate in the loss of storage from going from 750 GB to 256 GB (even though I know that is quite a bit of space, but with heavy graphics, that can be used up quickly).

Having said that, you still think Macbook Pro is the way to go?

Collapse -
For me, clouds are dark.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 8:46 AM PST
In reply to: I need a workhorse

The lack of speed has me using then for syncing what's in a project to my local HDD. For travel the Air gets my nod. For work the MacBook Pro.

Collapse -
Macbook Pro it is!
by ulisan98 / November 7, 2012 8:50 AM PST

Thanks again for the advice. I think I'm set on the Macbook Pro. I can't wait to go get it tonight!

All Answers

Collapse -
air is better than pro
by iserum / November 10, 2012 5:05 AM PST

i would go for macbook air, 256 gb is plenty of space, i have both macbook pro and air and i would take air over pro all the time. DVD drive will be out very soon from all laptops, once Cd drives are gone from no one will need DVD burners any more.

Collapse -
Contrary to the thought that
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 10, 2012 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: air is better than pro

"No one will need DVD burners any more" I would suggest that CD's and DVD's will be around for a long time yet and the ability to burn them and to be able to backup data to them will be needed until someone comes up with something better.
I still burn movies, that have been created in iMovie, to a DVD via iDVD.
Despite what Apple seems to think, not everyone has a massive data pipe at their house, or is even capable of having anything approaching broadband in the location that they live in.

Software still comes on DVD/CD, although it is possible to download a lot of it.

What happens to those games that require the DVD to be in the player in order for the game to run?

I want my Optical reader/burner and, should I end up with a Mac that does not have one, I guess I will just supply one of my own.

Collapse -
MacBook Air
by ericlericl / December 14, 2012 9:47 AM PST

I personally would recommend the MacBook Air because of it's portability. If you really need a DVD/CD drive, you can get a SuperDrive ~$80. You can also get an external drive from another company. If you need more power, however, I would go with the MacBook Pro because of it's power. It is still portable, but it is just more of a pain to lug around.

Hope this helps,

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.