Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

Need advice choosing project management software

by doneill11 / February 7, 2013 3:28 AM PST

Thanks for taking a look.

I'm looking for web-based project management platform that is simple and inexpensive (ideally free for small # of users) and has a sister iOS application.

Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need advice choosing project management software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need advice choosing project management software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: project management platform
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 8, 2013 4:55 AM PST

Since I see project managers spending most of their non-meeting time in Word, Excel en Powerpoint, adding the "web-based" requirement means Google Doc or Office 365 are the right tools for them. The choice might depend on their mobile equipment and - of course - company standards.
Google Doc is free, Office 365 isn't.

What more would you need?

If some needed software isn't available on an iPad while a tablet is needed for the circumstances a laptop doesn't work (do such circumstances exist?), adding an Android or Windows tablet to the package might be a cheap and simple solution (say $200 a year, equivalent to a mere 2 hours for a free-lance project manager). BYOD is a luxury not all projects can afford.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Rarely see project managers in a project management app.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2013 5:04 AM PST

They are in Word, Outlook and such. Nod to google docs, drop box and google calendar (shared.)
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Take a look
by Jodi122 / February 10, 2013 8:49 AM PST

You may want to take a look at Smartsheet.com - web-based, spreadsheet-like interface so it's super easy to ramp, free for your collaborators, has Gantt charts, file sharing (my favorite feature), automated reminders, and integrates with Google, Box, Salesforce, etc. There's an iOS app too. Sounds like it could be a fit for you.

Collapse -
Answer
Easy Projects
by vanessa-f / February 13, 2013 1:14 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Thank you all for responding.
by doneill11 / February 14, 2013 11:14 PM PST

Again, thanks all who took the time to respond. Your suggestions set me on the path on which I discovered No Kahuna, a very simple task management program. Perfect for my small team of three. And it's iPhone optimized.

My apologies if I've screwed up any of the ettiquettes. I'm a newbie to this forum thing.

Collapse -
Thanks for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 7:05 AM PST

I'll take a look at it some day.

Collapse -
Answer
Easy Redmine
by kkubova / February 28, 2013 11:22 PM PST

Hi, I'm using open sourced web based project management software called Easy Redmine. It is really cheap and easy. It is some kind of Redmine fork. You cant try free demo here: https://www.easyredmine.com/free-trial

Collapse -
Answer
If you are looking for a free tool
by vincychan / July 18, 2013 3:22 AM PDT

If you are looking for a free tool, I would recommend using Microsoft Office and online would be Google docs. But I am sure this is not the level of management you are looking out for. There are several free project management tools available, but most of them are not up to the mark.

Probably, because of my kind of requirement. I was looking out for a project management tool, that could track time, manage tasks, projects, invoices, bills, etc. I guess, because of this I was not able to find one tool that could give me all these.

I tried Basecamp and Wrike, both are paid tools, but ultimately these tools does not help with all my requirements. Then I understood that there were some tools that could provide add-on's that could add up additional features to the project management suite. Then, one of my friend referred me Replicon project management software suite, which had add-on's for time tracking, expense tracking and management, billing and invoicing. So, now I am doing fine, but always looking out for options and if someone can suggest me a tool that can do all these, it would be grateful.

Collapse -
Cloud? Isn't that a liability?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 3:31 AM PDT

As I read what Wozniak and Richard Stallman have to say about this, and not seeing any exit strategy when this cloud is unavailable, isn't this too high a risk for companies to rely on you and your servers and apps?

Sounds too dangerous.
Bob

Collapse -
what kind of project management tool do you suggest and why?
by vincychan / July 18, 2013 4:05 AM PDT

So, in that case, what kind of project management tool do you suggest and why? Moreover, I had been using couple of cloud based tools and haven't faced any trouble with it, except some server issues, which were taken care of in sometime.

Collapse -
My question was first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 4:14 AM PDT

Let's say I want to use what you noted and there is no internet at the site I'm at. How do I use this there?

Also, all businesses come and go. A quick look does not find any contingency plan for when this company folds or there is a service hiccup.

And here's those folk I mentioned to add to my question.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman

The system you proposed looks like a trap to me. Where are the doors?
Bob

Collapse -
Fine, let me answer...
by vincychan / July 18, 2013 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: My question was first.

Ok, lets consider Google docs, its a free tool and I had never faced any down time with it. But, data privacy is under question here, I agree that. But, for a startup like mine, when there is no dedicated budget for these kind of tools, I believe its good to start with something free.

The tool that I currently use for project management provides 99.9% server uptime(hoping couple of months is more than enough to judge this statistics).

Moreover, cloud based software's are not bad, you know, I had researched a lot before picking this cloud based tool, but then, they provide what they promise. But yet, I would always go with suggested tools, as only then we will get some feedback on those tools. So. could you, based on your experience, let me know if there is a tool that can do all I asked for?

Thanks for your help...

Vincy

Collapse -
It gets worse.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Fine, let me answer...

You brought up Google Docs and with that, I have a copy there and locally. I can use Microsoft Office or LibreOffice to work on the documents when there is no web.

--> No trap there <--

I look at Replicon and can't find an app to install on my office PC and/or server to take over and keep out of what looks like a trap. I also have to trust they didn't corrupt my files. Oh, but wait, those might not be mine at all!

More from another name you may have heard of:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57486930-71/woz-the-cloud-is-a-nightmare/

Until these folk let me have my data and the app as well in a non-cloud solution, I can't see risking any of the businesses I work with by falling into the noted traps.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
PM tool that saved our nerves
by Matt_Harr / July 26, 2013 12:52 AM PDT

For the last year, I've been using Wrike (www.wrike.com) and I must say this thing is really a terrific helper as for project, task management, or progress tracking.

We're currently paid subscribers, but initially we've been using its free version. When our team grew bigger, we needed to add more users (with free version you can add up to 5 users only), and, most importantly, I needed to get better visibility into my team's workload. What's more, the paid version has the perks like Gantt chart and separate workload view. As for the price, it is relatively low, so the transaction was quite smooth.

There's also a handy iPhone app. All my team has it installed. It helps us always stay connected to all the important updates of our projects from any place. Just yesterday I was having a lunch in a cafe and got a notification via Wrike about an important appointment that was rescheduled. Saved me time and nerves.

Collapse -
Answer
DropTask
by Y_Khetia / August 5, 2013 7:41 PM PDT

Try using DropTask - It's a completely free and uniquely visual task management application. It has a really simple and 'easy to use' feel, and has several great features like attaching files, assigning tasks, setting due dates and task priority. It lets you manage each task by setting the 'effort required' to complete them aswell. Once you start using it, its vibrant interface and 'drag and drop' technology makes it a really addictive online task management application.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.