Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Need Active X / Java and FREE Antivirus program + for ME OS

by 101000111101011001 / March 12, 2010 2:50 PM PST

Hi members, I need help here!

I'm in a dilemma. I have to use an old ME OS computer for awhile and can't seem to find a Jave Active X that will work or is supported. On top of that I can't find an antivirus or Software firewall that is supported either? I have looked everywhere.

Ok, I know already . . . It's ME OS, the very worst OS anyone can TRY and use, well . . . apart from Vista anyway. *Grins*

Does anyone know where I can get the needed software FREE.

A working Active X/Java applet; a flash player that is supported; A FREE antivirus program that will work; and a software firewall like Zone Alarm (which does not work now)! All these used to work but I had to format the drive and re-install (for the millionth time) the original ME OS just to get the computer to work. ME = 4.?; IE = 6.0; Outlook = 6.?

All available windows updates have been re-installed.

Anyone with info can e-mail Steve at . . .
Steves(dot)place(dot)mail(at sign)gmail(dot)com

Please do e-mail me with info as I may never find this forum again!

If this works here I'll try that too for your convenience . . .

steves.place.mail@gmail.com

In the subject line please copy and paste (between the curved brackets) this, so I don't throw it out as spam.

(Java/active X/anti-virus/software firewall [HELP ARRIVED])

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Active X / Java and FREE Antivirus program + for ME OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Active X / Java and FREE Antivirus program + for ME OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2010 10:20 PM PST

But there is nothing "supported" today for this OS. Once you get past that you may find things that might work.

Java -> I'd first try MSJAVA. Found with a google like "WINDOWS ME" MSJAVA, that's my first idea.

But that alone may not help. Here's why. You may be trying to get POGO GAMES to work. Not JAVA. These are two different goals. Since you just asked for JAVA, I answer that.

As to antivirus, a similar google finds that there is no current antivirus for Windows versions prior to Windows 2000. So you may have to go without.
Bob

Collapse -
Att: Bob
by 101000111101011001 / March 13, 2010 2:04 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply. Games, are you kidding? *grins* On this machine I am lucky to even be able to connect to the internet.

NO, my JAVA problem is web pages that you need active x/Jave to open certain areas.

A primary example is if you go to FanFiction.net (you might need your own profile page for this) at the bottom is a Java link for fav stories that you/me are waiting to be updated; when I click on the FAVs button (I have 400 stories I am watching for updates on) Nothing happens.

If you run your mouse over the Favs button and read the status bar, you will see it is Java or some combination of Java/Active X.

In other words, I can't access those links in ME OS now.

I found a flash player that works though. Don't ask me where; it was one of those things I just tripped over to find. *Grins*

Still can't find a software firewall or Anti-virus but . . . the good news is . . . MY XP computer will be back home and repaired in a couple days. Its problem (fix) was to re-install XP over top to fix a file boot error that might have been caused by a microsoft update running in the background (according to the teck).

Anyway this ME OS is just a backup for just such events. As soon as I get my XP back this one will go back on the shelf and wait for the next boo boo to occur.

If only Microsoft could actually make an OS that diagnoses itself and repairs such events.

But 773H will have to freeze over before I venture into trying windows 7, after the ME and Vista disgraces. But I'm not hearing of any real problems with Windows 7 like there were with Vista. So maybe two years from now when most of the bugs are gone I'll move up to W7.

Thanks for the input Bob.

Steve

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.