Laptops forum

General discussion

Need a laptop for basic computer needs

by airjer / November 25, 2009 4:35 AM PST

I have seen several HP laptops on sale for Black Friday, some have Celeron processors. I have heard and read several times not to waste your toime on the Celeron because its slow. What about for someone who is basically just web surfing and checking email while occasionally running games for a 6 year old?
My mother got a Dell notebook and my wife loved it. I could barely read the scree myself, not that what I but will be used by me often. I would like to have the CD/DVD player in so we can bring dvds and games along on trips for my daughter.
Should I just suck it up, stretch the Xmas budget a bit and but a laptop with a dual processor or could I get by with the Celeron for what would be done on the unit?
Also, I as a general rule do not buy the extended warranty as they are cash cows for the store but I have read in several places that laptops can be fragile and the extended warranty is actually a good buy. What do you all think about that.
Thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need a laptop for basic computer needs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need a laptop for basic computer needs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Really?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2009 4:58 AM PST

My kid has this 2+GHz Toshiba celeron with 3GB RAM, 4500MHD video, Vista and he uses all the time. Even plays games on it.

But seeing Core 2 Duo machines on black friday for 399 why not get one of those?

As to warranty, that is your choice. My lesson is this. Get the warranty from the maker, not the store.

About laptops being fragile. They are unless we look at Toughbooks. Take any consumer laptop and drop it on the pavement. Very very few survive that.
Bob

Collapse -
Tosh celeron boot time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2009 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: Really?

Is less than a minute here. Vista no less!

Collapse -
Celeron is not bad
by d_adams / November 25, 2009 6:55 AM PST

as long as it's a fairly new chip, it should work fine for basic computing. My sister bought one of those cheap laptops (a 15" Compaq) with a 1.8GHz Celeron (celery; lol) processor, and it works reasonably well. I couldn't stand the slowness, personally, (it takes about four minutes to boot up Windows Vista home Basic) but she seems to be satisfied, and the thing only cost $300. It plays Civilization IV and Age of Empires III just fine on minimum settings (both of these are fairly demanding games), though, that probably has more to do with the excellent graphics chip than the CPU. Anyway, it should do just fine if you don't want to spend extra for something you won't fully use.

Warranties are pretty much a waste of money, in my opinion. Laptops are not exceptionally fragile or anything. But then, people tell me all the time that I don't worry enough (as if that were possible!), so I might not be the best judge of the necessity of a warranty.

Collapse -
The thing about Black Friday is the
by orlbuckeye / November 25, 2009 10:06 PM PST

real cheap items are available in VERY limited qualities and only the people that camp out get those.

Collapse -
Good point...
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / November 27, 2009 6:37 AM PST

I'm all for deals, but you won't find me camped out on a sidewalk in the cold, cold Seattle air.

lol.

Cheers,
Ron

Collapse -
Good point
by airjer / November 27, 2009 2:51 PM PST
In reply to: Good point...

you wouldn't catch m camping out even if it was warm

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.