Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Need a Good Router

by ashah000 / August 1, 2007 11:29 PM PDT

Last year we had 10 people in our house at college and we had 2 dlinks with 2 three mb lines, and the dlink routers would fail everyday!! Had to be reset at least once a day.

Now we have 14 people, with one 10 mb line.

Please help me choose a good router for 14 connections, something that wont crash all the time and a good range.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need a Good Router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need a Good Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My dlink used to do that!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2007 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Need a Good Router

After I updated the firmware it went solid.

Collapse -
Didnt work for me
by ashah000 / August 2, 2007 1:31 AM PDT

Tried that, did not help at all. I have spent NUMEROUS hours on the phone with dlink, and no help

Collapse -
Then try other models.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2007 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Didnt work for me

But since you have uncontrolled usage (they might try P2P apps) the one model to avoid is the ubiquitous Linksys WRT54G series. I'll leave it to you to look up why but that one can be fixed if you load OpenWRT.

I'm unsure why Linksys leaves that bug in that model except to have people learn about OpenWRT.

PS. Please share make and models of your failures so others can note them. Sometimes we find out the owner did something we know doesn't work (such as SSID disabled) but the details are not in your post.

Collapse -
Router/modem IP conflict?
by HIPAR / August 3, 2007 8:53 AM PDT

My brother's D-Link did that until I changed the base IP address. I used and it's been working several weeks now.

--- CHAS

Collapse -
Cisco has the answer
by trubbleshute / August 5, 2007 12:07 PM PDT

Linksys (cisco) has some nice gear.

If you have a true 10mb with college students (who are notoriously known for downloading illegal music/movies/et cetera) you may want to invest in a small business router.
Juniper, Cisco, etc make some nice stuff.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.