Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Need a good budget plasma for gaming and movies.

by n8te81 / November 18, 2012 9:04 AM PST

So this is my first post so be gentle pls....ok so right now i have a 42in panny plasma and its really good but i dont have the model number right now, ill put it up in a bit. After about 3yrs now im just so use to it and it just seems small now. Im a gamer and a huge movie buff. Im in an appt and i play games watch netflix and blu ray off of ps3. I only watch and play at night pretty much so washing out wouldnt really be a problem with light. After trying to look for some hours i saw that Panasonic TC-P60U50 seems to be maybe the best choice?? I would like something above 55in or that...my budget is under 1000. Any help would be great or any other choices. I know this site is the place to go to help me the most on my decision.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need a good budget plasma for gaming and movies.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need a good budget plasma for gaming and movies.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Gaming on plasma is not anything I would do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2012 9:48 AM PST

Only those that sell such will not warn you about image retention. If you're OK for that, then go get one.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
not sure about that....
by n8te81 / November 18, 2012 10:07 AM PST

How is it not good for gaming?? Thats all ive ever heard is that gaming is best on plasma because of the 600hxz and not sure why image retention would be an issue if something is always moving on the screen. Not sure you know much about it if you go and read from other places and sites.

Collapse -
Time to catch up. Here's how.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2012 11:25 AM PST

Type in PLASMA IMAGE RETENTION to learn about it.

And no game gets more than 60Hz frame rates so far but I can guess a consumer that didn't do the homework or wanted to believe 600 Hz rates would buy it!

This may be good news for the makers since none warrant the image retention issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Static images is the risk Bob is referring to
by Pepe7 / November 18, 2012 11:34 PM PST

Static images from gaming can lead to burn-in, not image retention, which is what is generally referred to as a temporary issue. Static images that have been burned into the screen (permanently) cannot be removed by built-in technologies such as a pixel orbiter (on a Panasonic, for example).

Also, news channels displaying 'ticker' type feeds/horizontal bars/non-full screen content/bars also can lead to damage to plasmas easier than you can with an LCD. The tradeoff is the LCD doesn't handle fast motion nearly as well as a plasma since it uses different technology. Don't use the 600Hz as some sort of comparison. It's a different technology, so doesn't have the equivalent on an LCD or LED model.

Collapse -
Thanks for clarifying.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 1:24 AM PST

In my travels, I'd love it if folk could agree on terminology. But they don't. I like your definitions better but we can't change the world today. Maybe when we get our Moon base lasers powered up?
Bob

Collapse -
Yeah, all these terms get really goofy
by Pepe7 / November 19, 2012 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for clarifying.

I think they do it to keep us buying, or at least looking at buying more of the same crap with only one year warranties Wink

Collapse -
Answer
ok soooo....
by n8te81 / November 19, 2012 1:04 AM PST

So which would be the best route to go then?? I mean ive had my plasma for 3yrs now and never had any issues or anything. So which type would be better for gaming then?? My friend has a LED and he said he notices ghosting and the screen cant keep up sometimes on gaming.

Collapse -
The newer higher rate LCDs seem to have much less ghosting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: ok soooo....

But I've seen ghosting on plasma too. If you are not seeing any image retention on plasma it's either you are not using games that put up static images (those heads up displays) or have the brightness turned down to blunt the effect.

See Pepe7's response as he clarifies IR versus burn in.
Bob

Collapse -
both do it then....
by n8te81 / November 19, 2012 1:40 AM PST

Well i mean ive seen image retention when i go to something else and the screen is black but ive never had anything permanent though. Thats from both movies and gaming. But i mean if it does it on both lcd and plasma then idk why you wouldnt just go with plasma anyways cause of the picture quality. I just dont like how bright lcd is compared to plasma for movies. The deep blacks make a big difference to me.

Collapse -
Then you are aware of burn in that makers do not cover.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: both do it then....

And short term IR and the even shorter term ghosting that you see.

I can't pick your set for you but gaming on plasma is not what I'd do for the reasons I gave. If you keep the brightness down you can dodge that issue.
Bob

Collapse -
It's still during the the break in period
by Pepe7 / November 19, 2012 2:07 AM PST

Only during the break in period is (cranking up the brightness/contrast) really much of a worry. Otherwise, it's the static images from gaming or news tickers that can possibly get you into trouble and not the brightness per se.

Collapse -
If you've already been gaming regularly on a plasma...
by Pepe7 / November 19, 2012 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: both do it then....

...then it seems logical that you might continue to enjoy the same functionality, including great blacks/overall wonderful PQ. Hands down, for movies, in the right viewing space, plasma is still king.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.