Tablets forum

Question

Need a cheap tablet price range up to $100

by VampGil1 / March 12, 2013 11:28 PM PDT

I am looking to buy a tablet mainly for my son to play games on Minecraft being the top game and to get on YouTube, Facebook and maybe word. But for the most part for fun. I am really confused on what to look for. I've been looking on Walmart and they have some under $100 but have no idea as to which to buy. Can anyone please help me know what to buy and what might be the best for that price range? I appreciate any and all help. Thank You

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need a cheap tablet price range up to $100
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need a cheap tablet price range up to $100
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: tablet
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 12, 2013 11:33 PM PDT

Why not tell the details of what you saw on Walmart?

Kees

Collapse -
walmart tablets
by VampGil1 / March 13, 2013 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: tablet

they have quite a few too many to list. what info should i give you?

Collapse -
Answer
At that price,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2013 11:37 PM PDT

You see the usual pile of crud units. Don't be deluded here. There are many 99 buck units and you can expect odd things and a few years of life and then off to the recycle bin.

Microsoft has not put Word on Android or iPad so this means you are off by about 5 times as the Windows RT tablet which runs Word is much more money.

And Minecraft isn't there either but look at https://minecraft.net/pocket to see the pocket edition.

I'd forget the tablet this round and get the usual desktop.
Bob

Collapse -
tablet
by VampGil1 / March 13, 2013 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: At that price,

I guess I don't really need word since I have a home computer but would like a tablet for games a social sites for like when I am at a dr apt or meeting etc. because it's easier to take along and it will give my child something to do. I know they have a android pocket edition for minecraft but didn't know how good it was. My friends kids have ipads for school that the school gives them and they can get minecraft for free but idk if its the pocket edition or not. my child is 10 and loves to play it but it cost a lot to buy for my home laptop.

Collapse -
How about the Kindle Fire HD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: tablet
Collapse -
Tablet.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 8:24 AM PDT

Open Office is a free alternative to Word. Works on tablets.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
tablet
by VampGil1 / March 13, 2013 8:53 AM PDT

isn't the kindle expensive? so the pocket edition of minecraft is good? I wish the game was cheaper or free lol

Collapse -
Compared to the disposable models? No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 9:03 AM PDT

Since the office is porting apps I get to use a lot of tablets. Those 99 buck models are what they are and folk seem to get really snippy when they ask for help. I don't mind but the support is non-existent for the cheap tablets of no name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3iuFjLx2o shows it on the cheaper 159 buck Kindle Fire.

But the place to be is the 199 buck HD. That one is much better and yes we bought that one for home.
http://www.google.com/nexus/7/ is also 199 and pretty chock full of great features and a stellar display.

I think the 99 tablet is what we call the "training tablet." We think folk buy that and then get a good one or get one and then decide that all tablets are junk.
Bob

Collapse -
tablet
by VampGil1 / March 13, 2013 9:16 AM PDT

ty for your help I guess I need to save a lil more then lol but it looks like it plays the same as on my friends kids ipads. so maybe the ones on the ipads are pocket editions as well.

Collapse -
tablet
by VampGil1 / March 13, 2013 9:19 AM PDT

what about the colby kyros?

Collapse -
Coby Kyros.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 9:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
kyros
by VampGil1 / March 13, 2013 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Coby Kyros.

so i basically need to just save and get a tablet that is more than $100?

Collapse -
Or get a training tablet?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: kyros

One that you are OK with the usual issues. http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=1260 shows what most see. The 99 buck and less have a lot but you accept them for what they are. Then it jumps to 200+

The Kindle Fire is a deal at 160 and should not disappoint. I went for the KF HD. I added a case to it to give it a little protection.
Bob

Collapse -
tablets
by VampGil1 / March 13, 2013 10:17 AM PDT

so the ones on the link you gave me are good ones? Can I trust getting on on Ebay?

Collapse -
No. I supplied those as an example of the 99 tablets.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: tablets

There are many 99 buck tablets and this was an example where you see the 99 buck tablets and then a price gap and then good tablets.

The Kindle Fire is nicely positioned in the 150 buck mark. Go play with the Kindle Fire and Fire HD to see if you can do with less.

I use our Fire HD to play Amazon Video on the HDTV at 1080p. It's really great.
Bob

Collapse -
At that price point, don't bother w/ fleabay
by Pepe7 / March 13, 2013 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: tablets

Just grab one at Target, etc., if you find one that's halfway decent and you don't want to wait for a Kindle HD, etc. At least w/ Target, etc. you get a basic return policy.

Collapse -
That's the *old* Kyros
by Pepe7 / March 13, 2013 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Coby Kyros.

There are newer versions which are slightly better with Ice Cream Sandwich. I'm using one now, actually.

For < $100 the OP might be able to get by with the Coby Kyros MID7036. Only drawback I see which is major for her is that you need to root the device to be able to access Google Play to download many of the more popular apps, including Facebook & Minecraft AFAIK. (Not to imply it couldn't be found elsewhere <ahem> ). So there's the whole learning curve issue.

Paying $100 more for the Kindle Fire HD gets you a much better screen/touch screen response though.

Collapse -
colby kyros
by VampGil1 / March 13, 2013 9:59 PM PDT
In reply to: That's the *old* Kyros

what's OP and what do you mean you need to root the device to be able to access google play store?

Collapse -
OP=original poster <that's you> ;)
by Pepe7 / March 14, 2013 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: colby kyros

Rooting a tablet means eliminating certain restrictions that are in place preventing you from accessing certain resources, functions or features. In this case, it's not a Google approved Android tablet, so they won't let you on Google Play without resorting to modifying the device.

It's unfortunately not a topic which is permitted to be discussed here, at least the 'how to' part. You would have to look elsewhere for those specifics. It's pretty easy though.

Collapse -
Answer
Suggetion
by debijg / March 13, 2013 5:04 PM PDT

You can find the complete rang of tablets over the internet but i your range you can buy the best 16gb tablet that was good and normal and easy in use.

Collapse -
cheap tablets
by VampGil1 / March 13, 2013 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Suggetion

what are some of your brand suggestions

Collapse -
The usual cheap tablet ..
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: cheap tablets

is a no-name no-service Chinese one. So it's difficult to suggest one.

Kees

Collapse -
Cheap Tablets
by n16source / March 14, 2013 1:25 AM PDT

There are a lot of no name Chinese brands. The problem is that for gaming you will often need the newer versions of Android (4.0 +) and to get a tablet for under $100 is tough. You don't really know the quality.

I would recommend upping your budget to around $115-$120 and looking at the PIPO S1. You can get them on eBay for good prices. I have not personally used that model, but PIPO makes quality stuff and the S1 gets good reviews.

Hope that helps!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=pipo+s1&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Collapse -
I'd like to see this one reviewed properly
by Pepe7 / March 14, 2013 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Cheap Tablets

What proof do you have that it's not more of the same? <playing the devil's advocate>

I'd avoid ebay still for this type of thing.

Collapse -
Answer
Tablet
by Fengquan_Zhang / March 25, 2013 10:14 AM PDT

Get the Kindle Fire, it costs under $200 and it's so worth it. It offers a lot more than the tablets selling under 100 bucks. You'll be glad Cool

Collapse -
Answer
chinese tablet
by lyeileen / March 28, 2013 12:05 PM PDT

why not consider Chinese tablet, they are cheap and good,you can look on ebuy or coolicool,there are many ,hope you get one you wanted

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.