Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Nedd a dial-up ISP with no software requirement

by cbcxx / July 1, 2009 6:04 AM PDT

I am trying to find a good dial-up ISP that does not require me to use their stupid software package to access the internet. I am not running a Windoze, MAC or Linux-based computer. I am running something else.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nedd a dial-up ISP with no software requirement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nedd a dial-up ISP with no software requirement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Such would be local to you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 8:15 AM PDT

Since you would have to reveal your city, state or such, and such services are usually only local to you, be sure to call each one and tell them your needs.

Collapse -
All over US
by cbcxx / July 1, 2009 10:39 AM PDT

That would be OK for testing locally but ultimately, the system I am designing will be deployed all over the US, so I really want something bigger than local... but thanks for the idea - I'll look into it.

Collapse -
There's a bigger problem looming.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: All over US

As there are less dialup users the costs of dialup are increasing. Then you see the dialup 'centers' shrink and find less availability all over.

I was on a design team and we quickly learned that dialup was going to kill the project in terms of support, cost and more. We went with GPRS such as http://www.multitech.com/en_US/products/families/multimodemgprs/ which made some grumble because they thought they could use 20 dollar M.I.C. modems.

This solved that issue and the project is done and done.

Hope this helps you avoid the dialup trap.
Bob

Collapse -
GPRS
by cbcxx / July 8, 2009 1:14 PM PDT

Actually, that is one of the options we are making available to the customer for those who can use it. But Dial-up will still be required in some areas.

Collapse -
Then no escaping
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2009 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: GPRS

We went through this. There is no escape from research in the area of interest. Now there may be a way to cut a deal with Netzero but can the project afford the two or more suitcases of green to make it happen?

Collapse -
Inquiring*Minds*Wanna,know!
by Crissie818 / August 23, 2009 5:30 PM PDT

THANK U ,,THAT IS INTERESTING,,,I SEARCHED 4 MONTHS FOR HELP AFTER THE FIRES FOR HELP ---NEVER FOUND IT,,,,,

Collapse -
re: Nedd a dial-up ISP with no software requirement
by jotto7 / July 21, 2009 12:58 PM PDT

I was just researching some dialup options, and it appears that Copper.net does not use any proprietary software, other than the tools that already come with Windows and Macs. Since you are not using them, either, perhaps your software has tools built-in, too?

Collapse -
True
by cbcxx / July 21, 2009 8:27 PM PDT

You are correct about Copper.Net. However, they do not support CHAP authentication which is another requirement that I neglected to mention in my initial post. Same with BasicISP.

Thanks for ALL of the responses here to my question. At this point, we are not going to worry so much about dialup ISP. The system works when we dial into our mail server.

Collapse -
Interlync.com
by interlync / September 3, 2009 1:46 AM PDT

We can fit the bill.

Interlync.com runs all Mac workstations, and we do NOT require you to use anything special software to connect via. Dialup or Broadband. We agree with you and many other customers that simply hate having to install special software to do what your OS can do out of the box.

Give us a call, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Collapse -
interlync
by cbcxx / September 3, 2009 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Interlync.com

Looks interesting... how can I try it out to verify it will work with my system?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.