Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

Nectar search toolbar

by TechnophobicOne / July 5, 2012 1:16 AM PDT

Not sure if this is the right place but....the other day I downloaded the Nectar search toolbar.
I now wish to uninstall it but I cannot find it on the laptop?!
The nectar website says to uninstall on Firefox - go to tools/add ons etc but its not there.
Or - go to add/remove, and yes you've guessed it, its not there!
Help!!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nectar search toolbar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nectar search toolbar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Other options
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 5, 2012 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Nectar search toolbar

I saw this from Nectar's FAQ;

I no longer wish to have the Nectar Search Toolbar installed.

We are sorry to hear that. To uninstall click on the Nectar.com button in the Toolbar and select Uninstall.

Uninstalling the Nectar Search Toolbar Using Internet Explorer
Go to the "Start" menu, select "Control Panel," go to "Add/Remove Programs" and remove the Nectar Search Toolbar that you no longer want. Once you have removed the Nectar Search Toolbar, restart your computer.

Uninstalling the Nectar Search Toolbar Using Firefox
Go to "Tools" and click on "Add-ons." Highlight "delete the [xx] Nectar Search Toolbar" and click "Uninstall".

It won't let me install the Nectar Search Toolbar!

If you are unable to install the Nectar Search Toolbar and are receiving strange errors, you may not have the admin privileges on your computer. Be sure that you are on the computers administrator account. You may need to contact the computers administrator and have them install the Nectar Search Toolbar

Did you try the first option, eg click on the Nectar.com button and select Uninstall?

Mark

Collapse -
nectar toolbar
by TechnophobicOne / July 5, 2012 6:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Other options

Thanks for the reply. Clicking on 'nectar.com' just takes you to their homepage I'm afraid.

Collapse -
Answer
Toolbar
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 5, 2012 6:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Nectar search toolbar

If you can't uninstall it, would disabling it be enough for you? All browsers I know have an option to enable or disable add-ons.
Then it's still present, but not active. I don't think that's important enough to do a clean install of your OS.

Kees

Collapse -
Toolbar
by TechnophobicOne / July 6, 2012 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Toolbar

Thanks Kees. Problem is it's not in the add on list, so can't disable! At present I've hidden it, and changed back my homepage under the options tab but it's annoying that I cannot uninstall something that I am told I can.
I think I will email them see what else they can suggest.

Collapse -
Nectar Toolbar
by deborahkemp / July 12, 2012 7:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Toolbar

I managed to get rid of the toolbar by resetting Firefox to its default state. Go to the Firefox button at the top left of the screen, then to Help and click on Troubleshooting Information, in the top right of that screen there is a button to reset Firefox. It worked for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.