Computer Help forum

General discussion

NEC ND-3450A Firmware Update Problem

by nakarmia / May 29, 2006 2:10 AM PDT

I just purchased a NEC ND-3450A DVD -+RW burner. I also purchased some Memorex -R 16x disks to burn and they will not burn ("cannot write medium - incompatible format" using Roxio Disk Copier). The NEC reads DVDs just fine. I downloaded a firmware program from the Dell support site (I found out the 3450A is a Dell burner). The program is K34503CQ.exe. I have a Dell computer running XP. When I run the firmware update program I get an error that says: "Target NEC ND-3450A is not found correctly". How do I fix the firmware upgrade problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NEC ND-3450A Firmware Update Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NEC ND-3450A Firmware Update Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you bought an NEC burner,
by chuckieu / May 29, 2006 2:28 AM PDT

it is NOT a Dell burner. Dell may use this model burner in some of their computers, but they got them from NEC. The firmware needs to come from the manufacturer (NEC).
After checking firmware version installed on your burner,
go to manufacturer's website, download latest firmware
(that applies to YOUR model), read the instructions (Readme file), and install as instructed. Roxio Disc Copier? This will probably only work in copying non-copyrighted disc to disc. This would cover many types of CDs, but very few DVDs. i.e. Ones you created yourself. Hope this helps. chuck

Collapse -
NEC is the MFG, the drive is OEM'd to Dell...unfortunately
by VAPCMD / May 29, 2006 6:08 AM PDT

there is no firmware for this drive at NEC. If you doubt it, please feel free to check (as I did). To make it more confusing NEC makes an ND-3540A...the poster has an ND-3450A...the model number used for the Dell version.

From the NEC site here are the DVD-ROM Firmware Updates

Model Version
ND-6500A FW 2.24
ND-4550A FW 1.08
ND-3550A FW 1.06
ND-3540A FW 1.04
ND-3520A FW 3.07
ND-3500A FW 2.1A
ND-2510A FW 2.18
ND-2500A FW 1.0A
ND-2100 FW 1.92
ND-1300A FW 1.0b
ND-1100A FW 1.93

Collapse -
Careful
by jnbhoward / May 29, 2006 2:28 AM PDT

While Dell often times does have specialty models of products, if you bought this drive after market and not from Dell, it's probably not a good idea to use a Dell firmware updater.

Also, there should have been some sort of README file or set of instructions included. Usually DVD drive firmware updates require it be the only device on the controller, which assumes it's the master device.

So first make sure this is a Dell specific model, or else get a firmware update directly from NEC's website, and then follow the instructions.

Collapse -
Take a look at this link perhaps you'll find an answer
by VAPCMD / May 29, 2006 3:42 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.