Car Tech forum

General discussion

Navigon 7100 Review?

by tstack77 / August 24, 2007 4:06 AM PDT

I've read amazing things about this newly released navigation device and am surprised that there is no hum here at CNET. Is there a review coming soon?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Navigon 7100 Review?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Navigon 7100 Review?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Navigon 7100 has problems
by mmetz105 / September 13, 2007 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Navigon 7100 Review?

I purchased and have since returned my Navigon 7100. I would suggest that if you are considering the purchase that you would wait until Navigon works out the bugs. I tested the 7100 against my Nuvi 360 and found the 7100 to have a beautiful screen, but some problems. If the 7100 has to 'recalculate' your route due to your missing a turn or leaving the route too soon it will try to have you double back, miles in order to put you on the same exact route. My Nuvi just recalculated and kept me going in the direction of my destination.
Read the reviews posted on The reviewers that give it high marks I believe haven't really tested it. If you cannot wait to have the latest GPS make sure you buy it from someone who accepts returns due to the product not living up to your expectations.

Collapse -
Navigon 7100 has problems
by NorCalAl / September 13, 2007 3:45 AM PDT

thanks for that real life review. I'm always amazed that this feature is not a key review item when GPS devices are reviewed by major pubs. It is as basic and critical as it gets! I feel the same way that you do - if you go off route, recalulate from that point forward - and do it damn fast! My Nuvi 350 and my in-dash Acura GPS both do this well.

The Navigon 7100 as well as the Mio 520 are both WindowsCE based devices. I tried the Mio 520 and had the exact same problem: slow to recalulate, and not from the point going forward....I wonder if it has some thing to do with the WinCE (At least the slow to recalc part)???

Thanks for the insight!

Collapse -
I agree. wait for bug fixes
by roadlife / September 19, 2007 10:44 AM PDT

I have the 7100. sent in rebate right away so won't be returning it. But I really am disappointed in the bugs. What is frustrating is that I think all come from not changing the software for the US market.
The economies of scale in selling the euro based device in the US are fine. Good for navigon. But they seem to have only done half the work in adapting the software for over here.
-Saying it has text to speech is plan false advertising. It has half text to speech and only names major roads. This is a software buy or half written software. Text to speech is not used very much in Europe but is a key selling point in the US. The European 7100 has not text to speech and they seem to have not finished putting it in the software for here.
-Points of interest searching is lame. It is city based. You can't search well "nearby" even though the function is there. If I am somewhere and wish to find a Bestbuy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, CVS, CitiBank, Fedex or Post office I cannot find it with the 7100 properly even if I am sitting next to one!

Collapse -
Firmware and Software updates?
by Bad_Jason / September 20, 2007 11:15 AM PDT

I just received the 5100 as a gift (I requested it) and I haven't noticed anything that I can't live without, but I haven't used it extensively.

The routing issue many people are having has me a little concerned though.

Is this a problem that can be fixed through firmware or software updates?

Due to the fact that the 5100 was a gift, I'd really rather keep it than return it.

Any feedback on this topic would be much appreciated.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.